Highways Agency to stop HGV's

Thank you :smiley:

I assume you are in the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ part of the country. I run 100% legal so pull the guy behind me. I am now waiting for my DCPC card and I believe I am the only driver at our site who carries spare bulbs and fuses to avoid fines and PG9s by keeping my truck legal. I would bet a big sum on me being the only one who has as tyre depth gauge too :laughing:

Don’t see it as a bad thing as long as they are properly trained by the police.

Silver_Surfer:
Don’t see it as a bad thing as long as they are properly trained by the police.

Depends on how tight your schedule is. 2 minutes can be the difference between a 9 or 10 hour drive on our Warrington runs. That of course adds a 2nd break into the duty time which could make me late for my next shift

We’ve come a long way from only being pulled by the police. I wonder if any imitators will be buying shoguns and putting stickers on to pull us. Next thing well know is lolly pop ladies slapping bus with a pole for an insecure load.

BossHogg:
For future reference, if one of our cars wants you to pull over on to the hard shoulder, they will move into lane 2 to the rear of you, they will activate the roof bar and flash the headlights whilst indicating for you to pull over, we will then pull in behind you. If you don’t see us, we will pull along side the cab, give a blast on the bull horn to attract your attention and give you a hand signal to pull over. Whilst we are indicating to you, we’ll also have the rear roof lights on and “STAY BACK” to alert traffic behind us to give us a sterile area to stop you safely. If you are in lane 2, we’ll attract your attention in the same way to the rear, we won’t pull alongside this time. :wink:

If it’s not an emergency why would you want to stop me on the hard shoulder ?
Thought it was an offence to stop on the shoulder unless it was an emergency ?

At the moment, we only stop if its an emergency. :wink:

BossHogg:
At the moment, we only stop if its an emergency. :wink:

And after September the 9th…?

I havent been briefed on it yet, so I cant comment. :wink:

lizard:
goes to show who was listening in their cpc course.
highways have had the power to pull you for at least a year now.

It does go to show !!! “Highways” have not had the power to pull you. They’ve had the power to stop and direct traffic since they started i think. This new power being tested is for them to specifically “pull” you and direct or lead you to a testing.
But also bear in mind, as with VOSA, its NOT an across the board acccreditation. Only specific trained officers are allowed to do it, not that you know or get to check as they usually leave you to the examiners and drive off once you’re in the test area. Depending upon how i was feeling, i’d ask for the accredited officer to come back and show his credentials before agreeing to any test. Maybe i’m just awkward. In anycase, none of it is a DCPC module. Where did you sit your module, Tescos drivers waiting room, and was it free ? :laughing: :laughing:

BossHogg:

Sounds about right. The front line worker who is most affected by any changes is last to know about them :laughing:

I would imagine it would be done the same as DVSA do it, a follow me sign, and take you to somewhere off the motorway.

scanny77:

BossHogg:

Sounds about right. The front line worker who is most affected by any changes is last to know about them :laughing:

Never had that problem in the RMP. :wink:

Makes sense you went from RMP to Highway Agency :wink::wink: You know what I mean!!!;):wink:

Well I will have my dangerous load card ready! Be prepared for some defensive driving :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

There was a 13 year gap in-between. :wink:

When the HATOs first appeared I wondered why they were
dressed up as faux plod.

And after reading an article a while ago about the new regime
it all became clear.

I bet this was planned a long time ago.

Not long till we get the control chips implanted.
If they are not already installed and just awaiting
activation. :laughing:

My understanding is only one region is doing it and they have had specific training with regards to stopping trucks. They will have FOLLOW ME on their VMS and will ■■■■■■ you off to a DVSA site. If you fail to comply, the Police will catch you up anyway.

On my powers card it states “The person on this card is an employee of the HA an exec agency of the DFT and is designated as a TO by the secretary of state under section 2 of the TMA 2004. when in uniform a traffic officer has the powers conferred upon them by the above act which include but are not limited to the power to stop and direct traffic”

We all HAVE to carry them and display them when asked. Most have a lanyard around their neck with them on or they are in a pocket in their jacket. Many drivers have been fined and had points for not stopping. Why would you not stop? I have done many safety intervention stops for no rear lights at night (We have had many fatals where cars have gone under trucks as they have no rear lights) bits falling off and running on flat tyres. All the drivers have been very good and complaint thanking us for letting them know. We have no malice, just want the roads to be safe.

lizard:
goes to show who was listening in their cpc course.
highways have had the power to pull you for at least a year now.

What the HATO can or can’t do, or what DVSA can or can’t do wasn’t mentioned on my DCPC at all, I could put them in to the recovery position though if required.

So can I, but then again, I am a first aid trainer. :laughing:

Had a bit of a laugh very late one night on the A19 when a police car pulled in front of me and stayed there till the next slip road where he started to pull off, I didn’t follow so he swung back in front and put his blue lights on arm out the window indicating for me to follow which I now did when we got in the weigh station he got out and ran back to me shouting and bollocking me for not following his sign in the car, I then pointed to the back off his car and asked what sign? You guessed it wasn’t working, he then proceeded to give it a good thumping which caused to fall off into his car, “well that’s [zb] that” he said, his immediate apology was accepted, but he still proceeded to weigh my empty motor, more apologies followed when I asked what made them pull me, his answer was because I was going slow and they thought It was because I must be heavy not that I was on hourly pay and had all the time in the world. Happy days

Ossie

essexandy1963:
Sorry if already posted but iv’e only just seen it but there’s a pilot scheme next month (September) for Highway’s agency
to be able to stop HGV’s and take them to Dvsa site’s for examination.

sigmastudies.co.uk/pilot-will-gr … stop-hgvs/

It was last month :slight_smile:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115390

BossHogg:
Reading the article, it’s possible they may have got us and the NWTRA traffic officers mixed up as it’s North Wales police doing the accreditation. :wink:

3 days training with N Wales BIB, see linked post :wink:

As regards the ‘pulling post’ that was the biggest load of ‘bollox training’ ever.
Technically you are supposed to put a rolling road block on behind said truck for a possible debris/safety intervention for however long it took the driver to notice and then even when they have they probably haven’t got the slightest clue what the @@###! Your doing, as you say option 2 to try and attract the drivers attention was a better option but remember “THE PROCEDURES” are/were written by office bods who haven’t been on a motorway and take a hugely risk averse over cautious approach to everything and generally cause more danger and inaction by doing so :neutral_face: