Highways Agency. Right or wrong?

I was coming up to 4.15 driving time and planned to come off the M11 near Cambridge.
Then the slip road was stationary.
It is now 4.30 hours driving.
A 45 minute break is due.I pulled over on the slip road.
There was room for lorries to pass me.
Hato turns up and are sending a tow truck assuming i have broken down as cctv monitoring the roads.
It was now 43 minutes break.
They ordered me to move even though i only needed a few more minutes.
My fault for not stopping before they said and they have sent for the Police.
I said i was not sure of the area.
If i fell asleep later ,who is at fault then ?
Should have i waited for the old bill tp sign the printout ?

They are right, you are wrong.

We drivers will always be wrong if we do not forward plan adequately to take required breaks and rests in appropriate (safe) places. I have sailed close to the wind. It is not easy, but my mistake has been to sail past MSA’s and other places hoping to get further. I don’t know how you came to be in a position of needing to park where you did.

HA assess the situation and act in the best interests of safety. Two minutes or not, they can justify their position. How many minutes does it take to have a fatal collision?

Think about it like this, the Highways Agency spend an awful lot of time working on road safety, all the posts are designed to bend when hit, all road markings are there in such a way to prevent accidents, look at chevron areas and solid white lines, they know things happen so by putting solid lines there, it should stop you potentially crashing. Alos, barrier, next time you are out and about, note the ARMCO barrier along the left side designed to deflect 8 feet thus the barrier taking the shock and not you, then notice at an over bridge how it changes to box section barrier, this doesn’t move as we do not want you to hit the concrete.

Now consider you being a noob and stopping on a slip like this previously clip youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nx … ture=share and it is YOUR fault he/she died and all because you didn’t want a silly letter to sign to say you drove for 5 minutes longer than you should.

I could go on when you see a lane closure move over as whats the worse can happen if there isn’t there and you do see something versus you not moving over and I am stood there or there is a stationary car and you kill someone, better to be on the SAFE side rather than worry about an poxy INFRINGEMENT side. Even yesterday I had 2 “Professional” drivers having JUST got their CPC’s stopped to check a map, morons. Ah it won’t happen to me, no one will hit me. Really? They might

how is it a poxy infringement side… big jase, laws are there to be abided by he"s a new driver just not wanting infringements on card, whats wrong with that, bet you was the driver on that road further up in the estate cutting in as you numpty car drivers do :unamused:

should have put foreign plates on you could have stayed there all night without any problems :wink: :unamused:

Tell 'em you’ve got a rattle at the back… C’mon, I’ll show you… Kick your tyres, another 2 minutes wasted… On your way me ol son

Don’t be seen fiddling with your digi as you get back in to drive away though. :wink:

No, you do the print out x 2 (one for you - one for office), you write on explanation, time & date it , you sign it … simples .
clearly the dcpc is working :unamused:

I would hope I would not have had any contact with the Highways Agency at all. We have all been caught out by unforseen traffic problems at some time.I would have carried on to my original intended ■■■■■■■■■■■■ and accounted for the time over 4 1/2 on a print out.
No hassle,definitley no police involvement, all cool…or am I missing something here?
Regards. John.

Your wrong plain and simple its not a safe place to stop ! carry on till you find somewhere do a printout to explain personally i dont drive to to my driving limit i work on 4 hours then i have a little time to play with

Why stop on the hard shoulder?

iceman1:
how is it a poxy infringement side… big jase, laws are there to be abided by he"s a new driver just not wanting infringements on card, whats wrong with that, bet you was the driver on that road further up in the estate cutting in as you numpty car drivers do :unamused:

Firstly off, an infringement really means nothing does it, especially if it’s once in a while for good reason. You want to get as far as possible on your 4.5 hours, I get that, but delays happen. I come across drivers every single ■■■■■■■ day stopping for tacho brakes so the message clearly isn’t getting through, no junction is farther than 10 to 15 minutes apart, leave the motorway as you can, do a print out and wrote on it.

Second, thanks for the compliments, I am certainly not just a car driver, I have been driving LGV’s for 15 years thanks for wrongly assuming. I love the comment from some pros I come across, “I’ve been driving more years than you’ve been alive son” yeah, so you should know better then? NO?

Some times it amazes me the places people stop for breaks on the hard shoulder or a slip road have they no consideration for there own or other peoples safety ?

That particular junction is approx 1 hour 37 mins apart or it was yesterday when I got caught up in it. I went 27 mins over my 4.30 and got to the M11 services just wrote on the back (old skool :wink:
I knew highways could brainwash but after 15 years you should know better. Like me he is still new at this game. Give the lad a break and quit the lectures. We’re not all perfect.

toby1234abc:
I was coming up to 4.15 driving time and planned to come off the M11 near Cambridge.
Hato turns up and are sending a tow truck assuming i have broken down as cctv monitoring the roads.

What have I missed ,the slip road was stationary(so you can’t of been going to go that far if your on the slip road ) ,but you’ve driven 15 mins with out moving ? If you’ve a digi your last 15 minutes of moving will surely get you further than guessing at how long with an analog ?

iceman1:
…he"s a new driver just not wanting infringements on card…

Ady Williams:
Like me he is still new at this game. Give the lad a break and quit the lectures.

Toby isn’t a new driver. :unamused:

Contraflow:

iceman1:
…he"s a new driver just not wanting infringements on card…

Ady Williams:
Like me he is still new at this game. Give the lad a break and quit the lectures.

Toby isn’t a new driver. :unamused:

perhaps toby stopping when he did is better than trying to explain a infringement in a foreign lingo ?

Not sure who else does this, but when I see a commotion or trucks on the hard shoulder, I move half way into middle lane until I am safely past. It gives me room and the prick (that includes HGV drivers) two inches from my bumper has a chance of seeing them in time to make sure he does not swerve into them. Some people toot, because they have no idea why I am doing it, but so what. I am saving myself from any trouble,and saving the ■■■■ behind me, from his own stupidity.
Would definitely not park on hard shoulder for a break. Why risk your life for a petty infringement?
Also, if the DHL driver in the video had done what I would of done, the outcome of that particular incident may not of been so severe.

toby1234abc:

Somehow you can tell us the best places to stop and eat across the whole of Europe. Where to stop, where to eat etc… It comes to a simple road in Cambridge and you’re knackered !! :smiley:

Thanks for the replies.When exiting the M11, driving time was about 4.15.
It took 15 minutes to get off the M11with the long queue and the tacho adding two minutes everytime i moved a few feet.
The traffic was exiting using the hard shoulder.

Janos:
Not sure who else does this, but when I see a commotion or trucks on the hard shoulder, I move half way into middle lane until I am safely past. It gives me room and the prick (that includes HGV drivers) two inches from my bumper has a chance of seeing them in time to make sure he does not swerve into them.

Yes, I also do this.