Highway Code.

Is it reasonable for a full length 44 tonner to be expected to run to the rules within it, or should there be separate rules for them, since the Highway Code is mainly aimed at cars and car drivers + cyclists.
An example would be solid white lines in the middle of the road, is it reasonable for said truck to cross over those white lines with out fear of prosecution?
I’ve been down some roads with them and it is impossible to keep within them! I have heard of in the past an HGV being done for that offence after being reported by an off duty copper who was following him down a narrow for a truck country lane.
Box junctions can also be a nightmare for an artic when turning right in to a main road in heavy traffic with a box junction, is it reasonable for a driver to get done for having the trailer wheels on the yellow box? One of our trucks has just had a fine for doing just that, his only alternative would have been to sit at the junction till the end of the rush hour before he could turn into a now empty road!
I’m sure there will be others, were it is physically impossible for an artic to abide by the rules of the Highway Code, which could see the driver prosecuted!

I tend to agree with vest you’re saying here. On some of the roads around here the lanes are physically narrower than my fm never mind an fh or similar. So yeah I’ll cross the white line in this case box junctions not so much

Interesting thread.
I think every incident would have to be individually investigated in court.

I’m sure I read on here ages ago about a truck vs motorbike on a country lane, the truck had to pinch a bit of the opposite lane and a motorbike came round the bend on his correct side of the road but right in the middle and he lost his leg I think. Big court case and the trucker won… I think what I’m saying is right, it was a while ago.

Perfectly legal to stop on box turning right Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’ (PDF, 731KB) ). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping. Law TSRGD regs 10(1) & 29(2)

Ask some of the lads that do over length and over width loads what their take on crossing solid lines is :wink:

You can get done for anything at anytime, there’s an unwritten book that applies to hgv drivers (maybe its meant to be handed to you when you pass your test but the examiners cuppa will be getting cold) the authorities don’t care about you or your livelihood…! :confused:

Don’t necessarily need a separate book , the fatkatz just need to use common sense … If only

If the vehicle doesn’t fit in the lane, how can it be expected to stay in it?
I’d fight that case with no worries at all.

Sounds like you need to learn the rules of a box junction mate, you’re ok waiting in it to turn, just not blocking it to go straight on.

I’ve had a ticket for blocking a box junction, my rear end was probably a couple of feet into it, I’d gone across the junction when it was clear and got stopped at a pelican crossing, I can’t change the size of my vehicle to suit London roads so I got away with it under appeal.
What was worse though was when I found out it was a manned camera and not an automatic camera.

Sounds like you need to learn the rules of a box junction mate, you’re ok waiting in it to turn, just not blocking it to go straight on.

but you are not allowed to enter it unless your exit is clear.
I think that was what the OP was referring to, someone who had made the turn but was unable to exit the box owing to queuing traffic in the road he was entering.

waynedl:
Sounds like you need to learn the rules of a box junction mate, you’re ok waiting in it to turn, just not blocking it to go

I think you need to learn the rules, it’s illegal to sit in a box junction, even when turning right, if your exit isn’t clear!
Which is basically what the OP post was stating, he couldn’t turn right because the other vehicles that were already there were stopping him from clearing the box junction! and got fined for it.

So, is it reasonable for a driver of an artic to get done for turning right on a box junction and having the trailer wheel on the yellow lines, when there is enough room in his exit for 3 or 4 car to clear it, but not a full length artic?
I will ask that one again, since some people didnt know the rules surrounding them!

Weeto is spot on but what can often happen is this …

Enter box to turn right but oncoming traffic prevents it
Many of the oncoming traffic turn left and fill up that road
Vehicle waiting to turn right cannot now do so
Lights change and now the driver of the vehicle has to make a decision of what to do next
If in a large vehicle such as an artic and is totally blocking the cross flow of traffic which are now on green lights then they are obstructing and can be heavily prosecuted for that
The only realistic option in that situation is to take a different exit and find another way but that could again be illegal if all the other exits are weight limited

i was once coming out of north london in rush hour, i can’t remember where but it was 2 lanes wide in each direction, as i waited for the gap to be long enough for me on the other side of the box junction i was going straight over, cars from the other lane just kept swapping lanes in the box keeping the gap i need to 1 - 2 cars. it made it pretty much impossible to legally move!!! i just decided to set off and keep it moving so i never actually stopped. i never got busted but maybe i just got lucky?

maybe a set of solid white lines just before and through the box junction would help long vehicles in this situation

ROG:
Weeto is spot on but what can often happen is this …

Enter box to turn right but oncoming traffic prevents it
Many of the oncoming traffic turn left and fill up that road
Vehicle waiting to turn right cannot now do so
Lights change and now the driver of the vehicle has to make a decision of what to do next
If in a large vehicle such as an artic and is totally blocking the cross flow of traffic which are now on green lights then they are obstructing and can be heavily prosecuted for that
The only realistic option in that situation is to take a different exit and find another way but that could again be illegal if all the other exits are weight limited

Absolutely spot on!

Was going to reply with a similar answer.

There are a lot of so called ‘professionals’ on here that just don’t read original posts proper and are then very quick to jump down their throat!

stevieboy308:
i was once coming out of north london in rush hour, i can’t remember where but it was 2 lanes wide in each direction, as i waited for the gap to be long enough for me on the other side of the box junction i was going straight over, cars from the other lane just kept swapping lanes in the box keeping the gap i need to 1 - 2 cars. it made it pretty much impossible to legally move!!! i just decided to set off and keep it moving so i never actually stopped. i never got busted but maybe i just got lucky?

maybe a set of solid white lines just before and through the box junction would help long vehicles in this situation

I got caught out exactly the same way at Green Lanes/North Circular (notorious Box Junction) last year, started to cross & a couple of ■■■■■■■■■ switched lanes, actually stopped on the Box for the best part of a minute, after creeping across the junction, waited for a few weeks/months but never heard anything ! Lucky !

stevieboy308:

I once got caught up in a similar situation.
I mentioned it on here and a member came up with a simple and obvious way to stop the problem occurring - just block both lanes on approach… which is fine in theory and may work sometimes, but you may not get the chance.