High blood pressure.

How would this affect my licence? I can’t really see it making a difference, but it’s a family trait on my fathers side - so’s diabetes. I went to the doctors for the first time in years Friday afternoon for a well man check and they said it’s at treatble levels (whatever that means) as is my pulse rate - so come back in a month :unamused: and they’ll do another test. I can’t find anything to say it’d affect my licence being treated for that, but if someone knows different I’d be greatful for a reply :wink: .

Personally I’m most annoyed by it, I watch what eat and exercise reguarly, but as I say it’s a family trait and my dad was put on beta blockers for a high pulse and something for blood pressure at 35. I’m now 30 so approaching that time I suppose :unamused: .

Thanks

Ian.

from the DVLA website

Hypertension ( High Blood Pressure)

Disqualifies from driving if resting BP consistently 180 mm Hg systolic or more and/or 100 mm Hg diastolic or more.

Re/licensing may be permitted when controlled provided that treatment does not cause side effects which may interfere with driving.

if they only want to check you again in a month it shouldn’t be a problem

I would agree with Denis F, if they are only going to call you back for a check, then they are not to worried about you, yet.
They may well give you a diet sheet, maybe to lose some weight if you are overweight, and definately some lifestyle changes will be in order.

With minimal treatment, it may well be possible to hold off on any, even hereditary, problems with lifestyle changes.
If overweight, lose some.
Lack of fitness, do some fitness training, even if only taking a walk, but preferably no long ones on short piers.
Changes to your diet, reduce your fatty intake and so on.

It may just simply be that you were a bit tense when they checked your BP, you can get these wrist mounted BP machines from the Chemists, dead easy to use, and You can keep a check yourself.

This is not to worry you, but with the possible heredity connection, you should be concerned somewhat.

Dratsabasti, retired Nurse and Army Medic for 20 years.

The weight is one I’m set on loosing. Lost a bit on the last couple of months, but Christmas has put it back on :unamused: . The pulse was sat at 72 at rest this morning, so nowhere near the rate it was when they took it :unamused: . But the exercise is also another thing I’m after getting back into. Cheers all.

I would like to tell you that you must try not to get nervous

when you go to the docs, but I have the same problem when

I go for a check up, As to losing weight this will help put

your blood pressure down and also reduce you risk of getting

diabetes, did the doc check your blood sugar my wife who is

diabetic says bloodsugar level should be under 120, how about

getting a maschine to check your blood sugarlevel yourself

I am not sure what they cost in GB BUT here in GERMANY

they cost about 20pounds( 30euros) .What is your BMI this

is a reconised way of telling how over weight a person is

I know because I am one of the above with too much weight

I have got myself a training bike and can happily ride to

nowhere and take some weight off along with the also

required retraining on what to eat and how much.

Ask your doc to help with any information that willl help you

achieve what you wish to do . best of luck mate

brit pete:
bloodsugar level should be under 120

I don’t know what you mesuring blood sugar in but it deffo should be under 120! it should be about 7. If its anywhere near 120 you shoud be a) dead b) seeing your doctor :laughing:

If you have any medical questions PM me, beiong an ambulance type person I can probably answer them or find the answer out pretty quick!

Saying that I’m not that ‘up’ on driving law so probably won’t know how it affects your licence!

My wife who is diabetic said the 120 reading is probably American. She thinks it equates with a reading of about 7. Machines are available from the chemist at approx £30. Blood pressure machine cost approx £45. As in anything you get what you pay for.
a. Loose weight
b. Exercise
c. Stop smoking(if you do)
e. This is for life(not just for christmass

This is the advice The doctor gave me for slightly raised blood pressure :astonished: :astonished:

superdan I sorry if you think that what I said was wrong but

perhaps the way that the sugar level is measured is diffferent

to the way that it is in GB : ALL I know is that the maschine

my wife uses hear in GERMANY to check and measure her

sugar level gives her the sugar level. and any thing under 120

is okay. and when I have mine checked by my doctor it is

always around 94/96 and this is good enough for my doctor.

Havn’t been for at least 10 years :open_mouth: , so I’m suprised they didn’t do the “full” :open_mouth: as it were check. We’ll just have to see what happens. Two things make me nervous, doctors and particuarly dentists. Hospitals don’t make me nervous, they scare the [zb] out of me. If it dosen’t affect my licence, then I’m not that bothered as long as it’s contained/put right.

My meal plan for next week’s set, now where’s me pushbike.

Cheers

Ian.

Check here for a Body Mass Index Calculator.

My wife has raised blood pressure. Again hereditary. She occasionally has to bring a machine home from the Doctors to take her own regular readings.

It really annoys her that when I use it on myself, the readings are in the normal range regardless of what I was doing beforehand.

However, there is a danger that if left untreated, it could lead to black outs.

Best of luck.

like T driver pointed out it must be an american/europian thing I wasn’t being nasty it just sounded a little funny when you work with BM’s all day!!!

Suppose working in the NHS makes you a bit funny like that?

tdriver:
. Blood pressure machine cost approx £45.

and if you get one, test yourself before you go to the doctor - then you won’t be worrying about having a high test and making your bp higher :wink:

Or Ebay. There’s all sorts on there.

And not all acquired as a result of a postumous legacy. :smiling_imp:

lib,i think its must be a common thing with drivers mate! im in the same boat.
just a quick point cycling walking and swimming are the best kind of exercise for you (about 30 mins a day)

weight training and squash actually raise the BP so stay away from that kind of exercise.

Liberace:
now where’s me pushbike.

Best exercise you can get that Lib ive just started using mine again after a 6 year break, It gets you out and about see the countryside where you live and keeps you fit.

I find it a much more enjoyable way to exercise than going to a gym or jogging

simon

I like joggin Si, it (mostly) keeps you out the way of the numpty car drivers - that’s the problem with the pushbike. Been and flown my kite this morning for half an hour (the small one :laughing:) and have walked down to get the veg rather than use the car, also the slow cooker’s coming out again next week (puts me off ordering a takeaway) and I’ve got a couple of T-Bone steaks rather than the Pizza/Curry I usually have (well I’ve got to have some sort of treat). Just had poached eggs on toast with juice and coffee rather than the eggs and bacon I usually have after a Saturday night out (in fact I laid off the sauce last night and stayed in the chatroom - it must be serious) :open_mouth::lol: . I’ve also given all the crisps away that are sat in a bag in the larder (problem with working for Walkers occasionally) but kept the porridge :laughing:. Lunch will be four bits of fruit followed by some cottage cheese and one of those big bio fat free yoghurts and have a bit of what I fancy at the weekends. If that and the excersise (whilst it’s quiet at work I might as well start exploring some of the local parkland) don’t help, the it’ll be tablets.

Just clicked on the link! My BMI is 29 :open_mouth: Looks like I will have to start exercising. How the hell are you supposed to exercise when you are tramping :exclamation: I will have to cut down on the bacon butties

Did anyone hear that doctor on the jeremy vine show one day last week there was a trucker who phoned in about weight and exercise problems whilst working and she basicly told when he’s at a drop to get out the truck and do some short exercise’s :open_mouth: :open_mouth: somehow i dont think thats gonna happen

I can just picture the scene now

Lymm truckstop 2.30pm on the lorry park and a coach pulls up and theres a load of pot bellied sweaty rab nesbits in rigger boots, shorts, string vests and headbands jogging round trucks with a roll up hanging out there gobs :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

simon