High blood pressure

Im a 24 year old wanting to become a lorry driver , always have since I was no height only problem is I went to get a medical done last month and the doctor said my blood pressure was high 150/95 but not high enough to fail the medical , because it was high he wanted to look into it . First of all we thought it was white coat syndrome so I visited once a week for 3 weeks to get my blood pressure read, but was always high so the doctor decided to get me monitored for 24 hours . I came back the next day got the monitor fitted and went home. The next day went back to the doctors got the machine off and on average was 153/95 so doctor took blood tests and done an ecg test on my heart all the results came back normal. Now the doctor has put me on high blood pressure tablets (Propranolol) so I rang the DVLA to let them know and they said even though I have had a medical done in a month I now need to get a new one done again costing £90 .So I then asked the lady what happens next and was told I might have to go on a 3 or 1 year review which means I might have to get a medical done every 1 til 3 years . Im really gutted as this means I could go out spend £3000 + getting my lorry licence to be told a year later I might not be able to keep it . What would you do in this case ?

Just go for it and cross that bridge when you come to it.

Thanks Luke but would be so gutted if I was told a year later I have to give my licence up :frowning:
Love the vids by the way keep up the good work :slight_smile:

I can imagine you would be, even now I’d be gutted if I lost my licence and I’ve been at it 15 years so its well paid for! But put it this way, how will you feel in 20/30/40 years if you don’t do it? Doing it and losing it after a year is still better than never trying at all.

Have they found the problem? Both my parents have high blood pressure and it’s fairly easy to control once you know so I reckon you’d be ok.

Oh and thanks, I’m glad you like them! I can relate as it was my dream since I was a small child and I just think as far as dreams like that are concerned money is irrelevant.

Good luck

It’s nonsense, i bet all the overweight drivers you see have high blood pressure … :wink: Even me … :wink:

rjm87:
… the doctor said my blood pressure was high 150/95 but not high enough to fail the medical …

What would you do in this case ?

Hi rjm87,

From the info you’ve given, I’d have asked the Dr whether I needed to report it separately to DVLA. :wink:

My thought is that you might have opened an unnecessary can of worms.

Speaking from my own experience and my blood pressure being higher than average, my Dr noted the figures and the treatment on the LGV medical form, but he was also able to certify on the form that my BP is regularly monitored and kept under control by medication. He also added that at no time has my BP been outside of permitted tolerances for LGV drivers.
DVLA haven’t bothered to contact myself or my Dr to enquire further about it, so I’ve got a clear conscience that it’s been notified correctly and that there are no official concerns.

49er:
It’s nonsense, i bet all the overweight drivers you see have high blood pressure … :wink: Even me … :wink:

:bulb: I resemble that remark!! :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

The dvla sent me a additional form to fill in about my BP readings and diabetic sugar levels as im type 2. This required 3 further readings.

And you paid £90 for a medical? Wooooooow

Hiya Mate soory to hear about your BP probs but £90 seems a lot for a medical my doctor wanted £80 and when i queried it and told the receptionist i could get it done elsware for £60 he dropped the price to £60
I would hunt round I have even hear of people paying £30 for the medical :smiley: … get a new doctor mate .

dieseldave:

rjm87:
… the doctor said my blood pressure was high 150/95 but not high enough to fail the medical …

What would you do in this case ?

Hi rjm87,

From the info you’ve given, I’d have asked the Dr whether I needed to report it separately to DVLA. :wink:

My thought is that you might have opened an unnecessary can of worms.

This ^^^ in thriplicate.

I am on Felodipine and Candesartin and have been for several years, my pressures regularly reach the upper 200’s :open_mouth: yet the doctors find this quite amusing :wink:

Yeah, and get yourself a mobile medical if you do have to have another one done.

Wheel Nut:
Yeah, and get yourself a mobile medical if you do have to have another one done.

Cheap Medicals Thread

Wheel Nut:
I am on Felodipine and Candesartin …

I’m on Doxazosin and Lisinopril.

Just wondering does anyone know what readings require you to need reviewed every 1 or 3 years ?