hiab

im sure its been asked many times but I cant find the answers using the search key, im going to get my hiab license shortly but before I part with my cash can some one tell me, do I need a separate license for each of hook, grab, bucket and remote, also is the license one of these money making schemes where it needs to be refreshed every 3 years :wink:

heliguy10:
im sure its been asked many times but I cant find the answers using the search key, im going to get my hiab license shortly but before I part with my cash can some one tell me, do I need a separate license for each of hook, grab, bucket and remote

Yes. errrrmmmm No. You could get away with being trained on a hiab hook loader, then being refreshed for brick grab, bucket or remote.

heliguy10:
also is the license one of these money making schemes where it needs to be refreshed every 3 years :wink:

Not always, training lasts forever, sometimes a bit of refreshment comes in handy.

It should be on a C.I.T.B card and will probably be classed as lorry loader ,so will should be ok for all…renewable at 4 year intervals if I remember ,I let mine run out

hiab instructors hat on :smiley:

if its an ALLMI course your doing ,remote is the most common add on to the basic course as most lorry loaders now are remote so, it is normally done at the same time as the basic course , the hook would normally be on the basic course unless your training on a grab or clamshell, in which case you would have to do hook as the add on

an ALLMI ticket lasts for 5 years before a refesher is needed

So it’s 5 years .is it still C.I.T.B.■■?

Andydisco:
hiab instructors hat on :smiley:

if its an ALLMI course your doing ,remote is the most common add on to the basic course as most lorry loaders now are remote so, it is normally done at the same time as the basic course , the hook would normally be on the basic course unless your training on a grab or clamshell, in which case you would have to do hook as the add on

an ALLMI ticket lasts for 5 years before a refesher is needed

Please keep your trainers hat on . . . then tell us why a refresher is needed after 5yrs.

Andydisco ,why do people call it a Hiab course /training ??Hiab is just one of many cranes…No one calls it a eg lorry loader course always a Hiab course

Chas:
Please keep your trainers hat on . . . then tell us why a refresher is needed after 5yrs.

Put quite simply things change so its just away of updating your skills, over the years ive been using lorry loaders and the past 2 years doing instructing part time, Allmi have changed quite a few little bits of the course

and norb its a bit like when folk call vacum’s hoover’s or backhoes , JCB’s, its just easier to say Hiab even tho theres loads of different manufacturers

thanks ,so just a generic name my next question is on the standard of training and how easy it is .ie nowdays it seems to be a paperwork exercise,to keep business from companies coming in ,no one ever fails …I initially done my training in the forces,when I was at the 10 year point H&S got a foothold and I had to do a course …took a week…We had to learn the weights and density of metals .so for example ,we had to lift a tank gun barrel of to frames it was sat on ,now as you can imagine one end of the barrel is pretty small and the other end is huge,we had to work out the centre of gravity,so when slung it was lifted off both frames at the same time and was perfectly balanced…Before moving anything we had to make sure there was no obstructions etc and it could be positioned where it was required…The course included truck mounted /tank mounted and workshop cranes…When I left I transferred my military qualification to the CITB which involved moving a lump of concrete from 1 painted circle to another …People on the same course who had never used a Hiab done exactly he same …To say I was shocked is an understatement ,I thought civvy standards would have been higher ,but alas ,from what I saw ,nope

Now I’m confused.

Are norb & heliguy10 the same person?

What’s happening here at TNUK?

nooooooooooo norb is a DAF tech

never heard of heliguy …I was R.E.M.E …though my last unit was air corp :smiley: :smiley: .

norb:
never heard of heliguy …I was R.E.M.E …though my last unit was air corp :smiley: :smiley: .

as for standard of training I get a once a year unannounced vist by ALLMI to make sure I’m training to their training standard ,ive actually failed a few people on courses for not coming up to scratch, for person with previous use its a 1 day course, wheres as a novice, is a 2 day course

and oh no not another ex R.E.M.E bod :smiley: i did 10 years from 86 to 96

RTITB you only need to train on a basic hook and you can then use anything but it is advised you have familiarisation but that can be done in house. Also something to remember and if I am correct in my understanding if you are using the HiAB for working onsite such as moving items about other than just delivering then you might require to do a CPCS course instead Im sure the trainers here will correct any of that.

The cpcs card will say lorry loader ,on the back of the card it will say hook,I would think if you are using anything but slings and chains you will have to be tested on them as I’ve done a short test with a small private trainer for mechanical slab grab and vacume attachments.

CITB is now called cpcs rather confusingly.if one of the allmi tickets will get you the job you are after then it will be less expensive for you i think.
but cpcs is the best ticket if you can afford to get it,as it will be accepted on all major construction projects(crossrail etc) where some tickets will get you turned away.
cpcs will initially be for two years,then every five thereafter.
i drive a grab lorry(clamshell) but i am covered to use brickgrab and hook(hiab)-i got my cpcs over ten years ago,where as friends of mine who qualified more recently only have clamshell .
i think someone that had a grab(clamshell) ticket would struggle if they tried to get a job just having the ticket and no experience-chicken and egg and all that.not that it will worry you if only after hiab though!
you need to decide if getting the ticket can improve your earnings accordingly.i hope this is of some help!!

Andydisco:

norb:

as for standard of training I get a once a year unannounced vist by ALLMI to make sure I’m training to their training standard ,ive actually failed a few people on courses for not coming up to scratch, for person with previous use its a 1 day course, wheres as a novice, is a 2 day course

and oh no not another ex R.E.M.E bod :smiley: i did 10 years from 86 to 96

we R.E.M.E are everywhere :smiley: :smiley: .from what I have saw most of us end up with DAF ,the lads I have served with and met on DAF courses …so you can understand the difficulty of lifting a tank barrell of it’s frame…I have basically fond lot of civvy courses a farce to be honest
I took the oath sept 84 ,arrived at depot Aborfield 1st oct 84 ,R.E.M.E birthday ,and finished 25th sept 96…started of at sunny 8fd in colly :smiley: :smiley:

I did hear that a link card was available for allmi card holders to link to cpcs,not sure about the 2 year part andrew as I gained my cpcs which was citb when I did it in 2002 and I’ve only renewed twice 2007 and2012 which were the dates shown on the card.

norb:
Andydisco ,why do people call it a Hiab course /training ??Hiab is just one of many cranes…No one calls it a eg lorry loader course always a Hiab course

For the same reason we call a vacuum cleaner a Hoover.

Sidevalve:

norb:

For the same reason we call a vacuum cleaner a Hoover.

It’s a bit like hymac cat and jcb it wouldn’t matter what make a digger was it would be called one of these.