hiab

I got a hiab ticket five years ago. Is it now invalid? Do I need to take a refresher course to renew it? I don’t think there is any legislation. It may just be an insurance issue

a bit pathetic being the only person to respond to my own OP but, this is a reply I got from Chas on another forum

"There is no legal requirement to be trained before using a lorry loader crane, commonly called a HIAB. There is however a legal requirement that you are competent in its use, plus, your employer is legally obliged to ensure your competence before operating such equipment.

Because there is no legal requirement to have achieved a certain standard before operating one, there can be no time limit on the validity of any training you may have undertaken.

Legally, there is no requirement that you need to be specifically trained to operate any HIAB in any capacity.

1000’s of drivers are now looking at their ALLMI, CPCS, RTITB etc cards/certificates & wondering why there’s a valid from & to date.

The main purpose of the average HIAB training course is to cover the employers back. If it all goes horribly wrong they need to legally satisfy anyone concerned that they were reasonably assured that the operator was competent.

Proof of recent training from a respected training organisation is a good way to do this.

If your card is 5yrs old, it does not mean that you are not competent to operate a HIAB, but it also does not mean that you are."

You need to do a refresher course and it would be an insurance issue if your qualification expires and something goes wrong

JJ192:
… if your qualification expires …

Hi JJ192,

I don’t believe that a HIAB ticket actually expires.

I think the same is true for an FLT ticket.

Expiry dates are frequently put on such tickets by training providers, but I don’t think there is an actual legal basis for this.

For an expiry date on a HIAB or FLT ticket to have a proper legal basis, there would have to be something written in the appropriate Regulations like “the validity of a certificate shall be X years.”

Can you point the OP to anything like that in support of what you’ve written about HIABs??

:bulb: Contrast that with an ADR certificate, which I can show has a proper legal period of validity and even stipulates the starting date:

ADR 2013 8.2.2.8.2
The date of validity of a driver training certificate shall be five years from the date the driver passes an initial basic or initial comprehensive training examination.

hiab instructors hat on lol

afaik its not an expiry date but a reminder for your refresher course as daft as it sounds legislation changes slightly all the time

from the ALLMI website

Refresher Training

ALLMI does not use NVQs or log books as part of its scheme, as it believes the most appropriate way to assist employers in determining competence is to administer refresher training and assessment on a periodic basis, as endorsed by Annex B, section 8.6 of BS7121 Part 4: 2010.

RTITB FLT Licenses are normally valid for 3 years only.

On the bit about HIAB training which is the best to go for, ALLMI, CPCS ot RTITB?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

With a certificate (at the end of the day, it’s just a piece of paper) that is 5yrs old, you are going to struggle to convince anyone that it’s still valid.

If you have been using HIAB’s for the whole or part of the past 5yrs, I am confident that you would have received additional training during that time.

If all you have is a piece of paper, that is 5yrs old to wave about, then you are no longer a proven, safe operator of HIAB’s.

Hook, Brick Grab & Remote got it done, passed & waiting on the certificate to come.
At the end of the day as others have said it’s just a piece of paper to say you have done the training!

If your licence is a Cpcs and you are self employed you need to do the touch screen h&s test and sign a self validating form,if you are employed you do the touch screen test and send log book off for proof of hours operating crane.

Euro:
I got a hiab ticket five years ago. Is it now invalid? Do I need to take a refresher course to renew it? I don’t think there is any legislation. It may just be an insurance issue

i want to take mine again but i was told a refresher would cost about £300 pounds but if i produce my old certificate it would be about half the cost

Euro: