HIAB

How hard is it to get a HIAB licence? Is there a lot of training involved?

Thanks

Don’t know whether it helps, but I got mine free whilst agency working for NCP, hitching up untaxed cars etc. Comprised a half day in the classroom, short easy written test then a short practical a couple of days later.
The course was run under the ALLMI ( Association of Lorry Loaders Manufacturers & Importers) umberella, which all the major HIAB type manufacturers have contributed to, and has been approved by the HSE.
You get authorised for the particular catergory that you trained for, C3 in my case up to a weight of 20 Tonnes, you get a shiny plastic card with your piccy on it and it lasts for about 5 years.

Thanks for that. I too will be getting mine for free from my company. I was just wondering what the test is like. I’m guessing you have to pick stuff up and all that jazz? Know a lot of info about H&S?

:sunglasses:

Steve-o:
Thanks for that. I too will be getting mine for free from my company. I was just wondering what the test is like. I’m guessing you have to pick stuff up and all that jazz? Know a lot of info about H&S?

:sunglasses:

Dead easy,Stevie Wonder would pass.
Bit like ADR,I haven’t heard of anyone ever failing. :wink:

Took a week on a course and test paid for by my last employer. This is the work I now do for a living full time, so for me is a must.

This was also an ALLMI run course and involved theoretical and practical lessons. got to watch some interesting videos, and still photos, showing what would happen if you got your truck mounted crane too near overhead electrical cables.

It basically involves how to set up, looking for defects in the ground where your extended legs will go. Basic physics of what happens outside of the parameter in regards to falling or tipping over under load. Other parts of the course on how to sling and strap, balance, reach and retrieve ect.

Lots on safety to you, the load,the vehicle and others near you. As stated, you dont fail, the certificate is awarded in recognition that you have been taught to an acceptable level of competance.

As above posters have said, you cant fail, its all about listening and paying attention, then moving some bits about, passed mine recently. Good luck.

Training and test are ok ,the problems start when you are out and about.
you’ll need slingers certificate
you’ll need test certificates for every bit of kit you use
you’ll need fall arrest equipment if you go up on the platform
you’ll need risk assessements
you’ll need method statements
I’v even been asked to provide proof that i had been trained on how to use a ladder.
Worst of all you’ll have to put up with some snotty nosed prat from the H&S gestapo telling you how to do your job.sorry if i’m going on a bit but i’v been working with big hiab’s for 15 years and these people realy get to you sometimes.
Good luck if you go for it ,you’ll get it no probs,and it,s not all bad, the money’s good and you usually get a good variation of jobs and locations

You had to put a dampner on it alfa, lol. :laughing:

But you are right the money is GOOD! :wink:

Worth the sweat and toil, AND hard work!

an hour in a class room then outside to operate crane for 10mins total cost 154 quid + vat allmi reg.

I did my original course over a week but that included brick/block grabs aswell as the hook

when I did my refresher last year after 5 years it was a case of watch this video, answer some questions and a 10 minute practical exam,