Hiab ?

whats the correct way to pick up a stack of bricks,cause I tried it yeaterday with a grab and they all nearly fell out the bottom

Have you not been trained? Not being funny that’s a genuine question.
What sort of hiab attachment do you have, brick grab, hook/sling, clamshell bucket?

Lift them with the grab on the long face of the bricks, not the ends! And obviously grab the bottom layer!

With bricks you only go down half way down the pack with the clamps or it will snap all the bands, but if it’s blocks you go as far down as your clamps will allow…it’s all experience just like anything

It was with a brick grab and no I haven’t been trained, the course I done was with a hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newboy23:
It was with a brick grab and no I haven’t been trained, the course I done was with a hook

Sound obvious, but make sure you are grabbing the same layer of bricks on each side, and also as said above, make sure you are grabbing along the long side of the packs.

Practice makes perfect!

In the middle or at the bottom ?

newboy23:
In the middle or at the bottom ?

Really and truly if the bands are intact and the pack is solid, it doesn’t matter.

BUT if they look at all dodgy, get the bottom, and nothing can drop out can it?

You’ll develop your own systems of working soon enough.

With a grab then go with the direction of the fork slots: ie so don’t squeeze into the gaps. Bottom layer or at least only 1 layer up no more. If the bands are in good condition they won’t snap.

Practice and experience that’s it. Nerve racking at 1st though :smiley:

Treat them like an unexploded bomb as your learning try not to grab the bricks too hard with the grab just nip them enough to lift safely, grab too hard and the bricks tend to burst out the pack if your not too careful, and if one goes they all go. As your lifting and moving them keep them close to the ground or vehicle bed so if they do split you don’t make too much of a mess. If the pack looks dodgy as you start to lift get a pallet underneath if you can and then use lifting strops/slings. Better that than having to handball.

There’s so many different types of brick packs out there what works for one type of pack won’t work for another, but plenty of practice and you will soon work out the best way to lift them.