Hiab training

My company has a 7.5ton flatbed that is fitted with hiab behind the cab and a tail lift. Most of the deliveries this vehicle does do not require the use of the hiab and most of the drivers do not have any official certificated training on the use of it. Recently had a refresher course for the couple of drivers who are trained on the hiab. The trainer said that because the vehicle is fitted with it regardless of weather it is going to be used or not the vehicle cannot be driven by someone who is not qualified to operate the hiab. This was the first time I had heard about this and I have been trying to find more information about this or any relevant legislation and have not come up with anything. Is this the case?

Can any one point me towards the relevant legislation if it is?

dag019:

No, but i’m 99.99% sure the trainer is talking COMPLTETE bollox!!
Been using a truck mounted loader / crane for 5 years BTW, on and off for another 5 years before that.

Sounds very much like he’s trying to drum up extra trade.

That was the feeling I got as well. No one, i have spoken to yet has heard of this being the case.

If that were the case then I imagine it would apply to any lorry mounted equipment, that would prove a nightmare for guys delivering new vehicles… They would have to train on just about everything.

Load of rubbish ,that’s like saying you can’t use the lorry as a flatbed when the loler expires .

dag019:
My company has a 7.5ton flatbed that is fitted with hiab behind the cab and a tail lift. Most of the deliveries this vehicle does do not require the use of the hiab and most of the drivers do not have any official certificated training on the use of it. Recently had a refresher course for the couple of drivers who are trained on the hiab. The trainer said that because the vehicle is fitted with it regardless of weather it is going to be used or not the vehicle cannot be driven by someone who is not qualified to operate the hiab. This was the first time I had heard about this and I have been trying to find more information about this or any relevant legislation and have not come up with anything. Is this the case?

The information you have been given is incorrect, you only need to be trained on the crane if you intend to use it.
You will struggle to find any information different to what is posted above.

If you think about it logically - just because a vehicle has a tow bar fitted doesn’t mean you must have a trailer licence to drive it without a trailer.
Hope this makes sense

John

More likely then not, it will be some made up company ■■■■■ some lunatic sat behind a desk in a warm office thought off

What is the point to a 7.5t tipper with a hiab grab on? Unless you’re a paddy thus happy to overload, the payload must be a barrowful?

More Ale:
What is the point to a 7.5t tipper with a hiab grab on? Unless you’re a paddy thus happy to overload, the payload must be a barrowful?

With respect, he said HIAB Flatbed. But add to that, it had a tail-lift. All heavy stuff for a 7.5 tonner & not much payload scope.

I did hear a variation on this from a CPC trainer. He said you can drive the HIAB equipped truck no probs without the qualification, but if it’s fitted you need to have the HIAB type qualification to check it as part of your walk round checks. Also apparently applies to anything else which is fitted to said truck.

Might be absolute twaddle, but I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if technically it was the case especially if said crane fell off or swung out for example while driving due to not being stowed properly. Could become a bit of a nightmare. Wonder if it comes under the Vehicle Construction and Use regulations?

trevHCS:
I did hear a variation on this from a CPC trainer. He said you can drive the HIAB equipped truck no probs without the qualification, but if it’s fitted you need to have the HIAB type qualification to check it as part of your walk round checks. Also apparently applies to anything else which is fitted to said truck.

Might be absolute twaddle, but I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if technically it was the case especially if said crane fell off or swung out for example while driving due to not being stowed properly. Could become a bit of a nightmare. Wonder if it comes under the Vehicle Construction and Use regulations?

Key words… ‘’ stowed properly ‘’. That went for the outriggers on primary & secondary safety locks and the jib itself ( strapped ).

Complete rubbish…

Surely this is relatively easy answer. If you have drivers already trained on HIAB, then you get them to familiarise their colleagues on the equipment to ensure that it is powered down and safe for transport.

As has been said earlier, making sure safety locks are in place.

As an agency driver, I used to drive a lot of different vehicles with different equipment. I don’t have a forklift license, the ones that are on the back of the Lorry, but I have driven them. Nor a crane license. At the time I was shown by a driver who held a license for it how to ensure that it was powered down and safe for transport.

I would think that the regulations would allow for that, so that vehicles can be operated and transported without the driver been trained on all the onboard equipment.

This is the mad world we live in these days,

where will the ■■■■■■■■ end?

They will next be telling you that you cannot walk into the warehouse unless you have a fork truck ticket,
because you have to walk past a forklift that you have no intention of using.

Toddy2:

They will next be telling you that you cannot walk into the warehouse unless you have a fork truck ticket,

Well there’s a key word that sums it all up. ‘’ BUREAUCRACY ‘’ :exclamation: .
European Directives; Tacho legislation, WTD, BLAH BLAH BLAH, to the curvature of a banana or cucumber ffs.

My thoughts go out to those guys who do that fishing industry. I’m sure many on here have seen that series Trawlermen.

They get penalised for overshooting a catch quota. One trawler operator got banged up for six months just for doing that dangerous job.

Bring on BREXIT. Time to cut that umbilical cord with Brussels :imp:

simon1958:

Toddy2:

Well there’s a key word that sums it all up. ‘’ BUREAUCRACY ‘’ :exclamation: .
European Directives; Tacho legislation, WTD, BLAH BLAH BLAH, to the curvature of a banana or cucumber ffs.

My thoughts go out to those guys who do that fishing industry. I’m sure many on here have seen that series Trawlermen.

They get penalised for overshooting a catch quota. One trawler operator got banged up for six months just for doing that dangerous job.

Bring on BREXIT. Time to cut that umbilical cord with Brussels :imp:

+1

well said that man !

More Ale:

Probably why 7.5 tippers with a hiab grab are like rocking horse ■■■. :laughing:

Gembo:

More Ale:

Probably why 7.5 tippers with a hiab grab are like rocking horse ■■■. :laughing:

A look at trucks for sale on Com Motors’ site says otherwise.

More Ale:

My old gaff, had a LF45, with a Massi F45 crane capable of lifting 1t on a full stretch(which was only the length of the load bed 3m) and was also a tipper… Payload weight?

A massive 2.2t…