Hiab ticket holders

Random question

I have been using front and rear mount cranes for a builders merchant where the crane is stowed on the bed.

Tomorrow I am at a job and have a fold away crane for the 1st time.

How do you fold/unfold the crane for operation?

Depends what make and model of crane it is. If its a HIAB and front mounted, to unfold it you will have to extend the second boom a small amount first, then extend the main boom to fully unfold it (3rd lever up then 2nd lever down). Or you might need to send the boom extension out a small amount then unfold it on the main (4th lever up, 2nd lever down).

Stowing it is reverse procedure but make sure it seats back in the correct orientation. There will be a couple of arrows on the base and slew base that should line up.

Cant give an actual description but it should have a Diagram on the hiab to show you the correct procedure.

If still unsure ask ask ask and ask again some one in the yard to show you.

Normally boom verticle first ,then open the dipper , atlas have a swinging clip that needs to drop out the way first .

It depends entirely on the make and model of crane, some are boom vertical first, some are extension/knuckle first. I’m assuming it’s only a single knuckle crane…

The thing to know is there is either a catch/latch/rest point at 2 points, one is to stop the whole outfit from slewing into the cab in transit, the other is to stop the boom from unfolding under gravity in transit. Which one you take care of first depends on the type of crane, but it’s obvious which one will need doing first. Before you do anything look at how everything is stowed away, and rehearse in your head the steps it looks like you need to do. Then do it, very slowly!

If its a multi knuckle massive beastie, seek help from a trained person on that model.

I take it you do not have an attachment fitted, like a brick grab for instance?..