hiab test..

okay ladys and gents… altho i halvent got a hgv/lgv i know a firm thats advatising jobs as drivers mates/hiab operators… anyone on hear thats got one or can give me advice about getting one?

Yep.
Ask them what they want :smiley:

In all seriousness there are various different types of lorry mounted loader License, run by different people. I would recomend CPCS, as that seems to be all building sites recognise, however the people offering the job may only want you to have an Allmi license.
Also there are various different attachments, do they need to you have, remote, grab, clamshell. Also they may want you to have some form of slinging certificate.

Sorry I can’t be any more helpful than that, however every employer seems to be different.

Owen

Hippo:
Yep.
Ask them what they want :smiley:

In all seriousness there are various different types of lorry mounted loader License, run by different people. I would recomend CPCS, as that seems to be all building sites recognise, however the people offering the job may only want you to have an Allmi license.
Also there are various different attachments, do they need to you have, remote, grab, clamshell. Also they may want you to have some form of slinging certificate.

Sorry I can’t be any more helpful than that, however every employer seems to be different.

Owen

employer im on about its danials utilitys… they work with grab monted hiabs… i know a guy working for them and he said if i do my hiab test he be able to get me in there with them… 7.50 a hour so not to bad…

So you would need a lorry mounted loader liscense with clamshell attachment.
As i said earlier I have no idea what license they would want you to have, Allmi is cheaper and easier to get, with no experience you should get it in 2 days. CPCS is a bit harder and more expensive, and you would need your cscs Health and Safety card first.

Good luck with the job

Owen

cheers mate im going to call into the firm tomro to find out that the job is proper befour i go and do the trust and then find out the job aint there… cause we all know what mates in the pub are like… i know that they got to have a street works licance or something but apparently cause the driver has one i be okay cause im abke to work with in 5 miles of someone who has one of them (sorry im new the street works and utiitys side of things… i worked all my life on a fork truck or in ware houses)

street works ticket must be held by anyone who digs holes or works on the public highway terrier. if you are working as a two man gang then only one of you needs to have the ticket. but the gang must be closer to each other than 5 miles, more like five feet. cabwi is the streetworks authority :confused:

two man grab teams usually go round after the digging gangs to clear muck backfill and compact hole ready for reinstatement
some also temp up with tarmac , lots of small jobs spread about ,some wheelbarrow work if your a mate on it you will use a shovel broom and wacker , the 5 mile bit is rubbish
some also do in house cards for hiabs :wink:

projss.co.uk/nrswa-streetwor … AYA#videos

One would think that the cab rat, knuckle dragging, tabloid reading, frequent [zb]of trucknet would at least have the imagination to assume that actual HIAB trained drivers, who use one day in & day out, might actually occasionally stumble into this, which claims to be, a general truck drivers forum.

I’ve worked with HIAB’s for more years than I care to remember, I’ve never ever been asked for my ALLMI card or any other card for that matter, what’s a CPCS & why would I need one anyway?

2 men to operate a grab? What planet are those jobs advertised on fella’s?

Is this really a truck drivers forum?

Sometimes, it seems that 99% of the traffic here is 2 ■■■■■■■■■ stuck in a layby somewhere who’ve accidentaly stumbled upon how much fun they can have on the internets.

Hope that helps Chas.
You obvioulsy have Hi-ab expirience, but maybe not delivering to major building projects. Most of the ones i deliver to want to see my CPCS card, method statements, Lifting plan’s etc before i am even allowed to set the crane up and why do all site inductions have to be the bloody same.

Owen

Chas:
One would think that the cab rat, knuckle dragging, tabloid reading, frequent [zb] of trucknet would at least have the imagination to assume that actual HIAB trained drivers, who use one day in & day out, might actually occasionally stumble into this, which claims to be, a general truck drivers forum.

I’ve worked with HIAB’s for more years than I care to remember, I’ve never ever been asked for my ALLMI card or any other card for that matter, what’s a CPCS & why would I need one anyway?

Is this really a truck drivers forum?

Sometimes, it seems that 99% of the traffic here is 2 ■■■■■■■■■ stuck in a layby somewhere who’ve accidentaly stumbled upon how much fun they can have on the internets.

how much utility work have you recently done with a grab :question:
two man grab teams consist of the lorry driver/grab operator and the labourer
mainly for the likes of SGN SSE round these parts
we do not ,the gangs here phone and wait for the grab and 99% of jobs are temp with deferred tarmac for reinstatement later

seems the later part of your post may refer to yourself :laughing:

Chas:

i asked that question and the reply was health and safty…
and th e reson i asked was i seen wales and west grab drivers driving solo… and danials are doubled up and again the reply was that danials work on their own once the digging is done they move on to the next job and dont hang around for the grab driver…

When I worked on the utilities the driver was the grab operator , the second man was just the brush & shovel guy , I can’t see them taking you on to operate the grab , I would look deeper before doing a course, most hiab courses come hand in hand with having an hgv licence, is it haverfordwest your looking to work from ? I’m down this way & know the guys , pm me so more info & I will ask some questions for you …

kemaro:
When I worked on the utilities the driver was the grab operator , the second man was just the brush & shovel guy , I can’t see them taking you on to operate the grab , I would look deeper before doing a course, most hiab courses come hand in hand with having an hgv licence, is it haverfordwest your looking to work from ? I’m down this way & know the guys , pm me so more info & I will ask some questions for you …

out of clydach in swansea mate… and will do mate…

Hippo:
Allmi is cheaper and easier to get, with no experience you should get it in 2 days. Owen

My ALLMI 20 tonne per metre LMC was a weeks residential course in Oxford,
written test included.

why on earth would the brush and shovel man need a ticket for the grab?
i drive a grab and just about the only thing my mate(when i have one) has to do with the lorry is opening the tailboard when we tip ffs

andrew.s:
i drive a grab and just about the only thing my mate(when i have one) has to do with the lorry is opening the tailboard when we tip ffs

i have no idea why… im only asking about infomation about something i been told about…

terriers:

andrew.s:

i have no idea why… im only asking about infomation about something i been told about…

i wasnt having a pop at you mate :slight_smile:

Twoninety88:

Hippo:
Allmi is cheaper and easier to get, with no experience you should get it in 2 days. Owen

written test included.

I think you have been shafted, my allmi 20 tonne,remote,clamshell and brick grab was £260 and was done in around 5/6 hrs inluding written (multi guess) tests!!

I had a 2 day course The agency paid for it it was Allmi 26T I think with remote hook and grab it was in Tilbury

Moose:

Twoninety88:

Hippo:

written test included.

I think you have been shafted, my allmi 20 tonne,remote,clamshell and brick grab was £260 and was done in around 5/6 hrs inluding written (multi guess) tests!!

mine was £100 without remote :wink: :slight_smile: