Hiab question

Hi all i am looking for some info on hiabs at present i work for a recovery company and i have a lorry loader ticket called a ivr17 witch is a lorry mounted crane used to remove vehicles what i want to know is can i use this as a hiab lincence or will i have to take another test so far every one i have asked are unsure.

Hi Tony66,
again not sure myself, I have lorry loader ticket which I use on builders merchant delivery work. When you did your course was is it recognised by the RIITB or one of the other recognised bodies? Have you tried contacting them?

YOu dont actually need an LMC (HI-AB) licence to operate one.

Interesting question this, especially if you look at the wider implications just within the recovery industry. I too work with an ivr ticket on vehicle recovery. Hato recognise the qualification and require it for us to recover vehicles from roads under their control.

However, I am led to believe that the course only covers us for the recovery of vehicles. So if you are at the scene of a lost load from a vehicle, can we then use the crane to pick it back up again, it’s part of the recovery but not of the vehicle. Yes this is how we use it and so therefore you would assume that the qualification covers the holder for any use within recovery, but as previously posted if the course is not recognised by RTITB or CITB then I would question whether it would be valid in the industries governed by those rules.

So to qualify my answer. Sorry mate, I dunno. But an interesting question none the less.

my ticket
i think says swivel hook

Well i contacted two people that do hiab courses and none of them are sure and the peps that issued my ivr have no idea either so it is looking like i cant get a definate answer at the moment.
I think it will only cover me when doing vehicle recovery and it wont cover me to lift stuff from my mates truck
Think i will need to fish around a bit more before i spend any cash on a hiab course.

:confused: :confused:

Did a lorry mounted crance course a while back and from what I know is that I can use it for any work, where a Hiab is required as lifting gear

Doesnt matter if you are lifting cars or bricks… I dont think that there is any hiab course out there that just deal with lifting cars for recovery.

Got it sorted it can only be used within recovery/hato