Hiab problems

I have just got my first hiab job with an agency but there is a bit of a problem.

I get to the yard and the boss is aware that this is my first time using the hiab since i qualified so he said go have a play anf get used to it before taking it out. Great or so I thought.

Its a Daf CF with a Terex Atlas (2009) crane with remote. So I start engine (after doing all checks) and engage the pto, all good.

I get out with the remote and unlock the legs. I notice that there is only one lock per leg, each with a split pin and not two locks as per the hiab i trained on. Never mind, crack on. I turned on the remote and tried to extend the legs, nothing, in fact i couldnt get the remote to do anything and then noticed an error light on the remote reciever box on the crane so tried the panel controls.

As with the remote i could not extend either leg on the lorry. They would go down and i could use the crane but i couldnt get the legs to extend, what am i doing wrong.

No one at the place im working knows how to use it (regular driver on holiday) and a hiab driver i met had no clue either.

any ideas

This might help, but it also may not if it’s a completely different set-up:

Under the leg / chassis, pull the split pin out and rotate the cam-lock (handle) through 180 degrees, now try to extend the legs.

Are you using the remote? On the side there’s 3 buttons and the emegency stop button. If so, turn it on (twist red button to ‘out’ position), and hold in both the top buttons on the side until you hear a double beep - PTO should engage and revs will fire up. Now, on the truck mounted controls, press the leg button, then use centre joystick on remote (if its a 3 joystick remote) - left/right extends/retracts the leg (when leg is selected, otherwise it rotates the grab), up and down raises/lowers the leg (again when leg is selected, otherwise it opens/closes the grab). Be careful doing this until you’re sure you know when it’s on leg-mode or not, particularly if there’s something in the grab or it’s raised.

The leg button on the truck mounted controls will only enable the leg on that side, there’s another button on the other side of the truck for the other leg… same process.

Once you’re finished with the legs, either hold in the bottom of the side buttons (off), or emegency stop it, then turn it on again - you should now be on crane controls instead of legs. There’s other ways to switch between the 2, but without knowing the set-up, that’s the safest option.

When you’re done, same deal, stow the crane and switch it off, then on again and select leg mode to raise and retract them.

HTH.

If the split pin is what I think it is, take out the pin which is holding the lock. Twist the lock 180 towards you.

Pull the stabiliser out. Then depending on how the mechanism works the lock should fall back down and lock it.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

sinclair89:
If the split pin is what I think it is, take out the pin which is holding the lock. Twist the lock 180 towards you.

Pull the stabiliser out. Then depending on how the mechanism works the lock should fall back down and lock it.

This. Does it have a diverter valve lever like a grab tipper has? If that’s not right down that can cause problems.

Ive pulled out the split pin and rotated the lock. The legs are fully hydraulic so cant be pulled out.

ive connected the remote, pto engaged and the revs increased but nothing happens when i use the switches. even without the remote the crane should operate using the control panel. there is only one lever with a leg pictogram on it. bottom most lever. when the leg button selected that lever will only raise or lower the leg even though the pictogram indicates the leg extending. im confused. could the hiab be knacked or am i missing something

Is there another lock on the side? Like a garden gate type lock?

Thats what i was looking for, another lock but couldn’t find one. neither could the other hiab driver i asked

do hydraulic out legs still have to have 2 locks with regard to mot or is that just manual pull outs ?

Ive been trawling the internet and cant seem to find any sort of instruction manual either. I know how to operate a ‘hiab’ , i’m just having problems extending the legs.

This may or may not help:
When I was on atlas remotes (2008 120.2 model) there was a main control panel on the crane body, 3rd button down on the left hand side of the panel was a leg symbol. Press that to get a small green light. That will work the right hand side legs ie) the side you are next to. On the near side is a 4 inch square box mounted with a button and a green light above it. Once these were activated, the remote sent the legs in or out depending on what way you push or pull the remote lever.

Whatever you do DO NOT LIFT without having the legs extended you can flip the whole thing over as quick as a flash!

Twoninety88:
This may or may not help:
When I was on atlas remotes (2008 120.2 model) there was a main control panel on the crane body, 3rd button down on the left hand side of the panel was a leg symbol. Press that to get a small green light. That will work the right hand side legs ie) the side you are next to. On the near side is a 4 inch square box mounted with a button and a green light above it. Once these were activated, the remote sent the legs in or out depending on what way you push or pull the remote lever.

yep i did that but the lever i mentioned still only allowed me to raise or lower the leg

Did you follow the instructions i posted in the first reply, you need to be using the remote (unless it’s been specced with an extra lever). That is how to extend the legs with an Atlas/terex crane (i use one daily), middle joystick on the remote, after you’ve pressed the leg button on the truck-mounted controls. If it’s not doing it, does it do anything with the remote at all ?

Got a pic of the remote controls you can post?

Also, there’s only one lock - as you say, they’re fully hydraulic.

on mine the crane remote control box must be stowed in its cradle in the cab and switched OFF . while you operate the legs using the levers .

What name of remote are you using? I use a Terex crane with Hetronic remote. (yellow with 6 paddles)

Thanks for all your replies guys. I was hoping to have some use out of this unit but tomorrow is my last day as i was only there for holiday cover. Its good to know thought that I can get help from you guys on this forum. Thanks again

Gets into work today and the boss called the Atlas engineer who said it wasnt working cos the control unit was so filthy it caused a bad electrical connection (the muck was from regular driver not me). Was pleased to know I was doing it right, just equipment buggered. Thanks guys for your help

Juggler258:
What name of remote are you using? I use a Terex crane with Hetronic remote. (yellow with 6 paddles)

crane and remote are both atlas, the blue bit is the contact/sensor that detects the remote is stowed and legs can be operated

Yep the remote i was using was very similar to that one.