HIAB Licence

Morning, I wonder if someone can help me with an answer to my question. I have worked for the same company for 11 years now. When I started I had my HIAB card and my fork lift truck card. when they ran out I told my boss that I would need refresher training he said he would sort some , despite me regularly reminding him of this refresher has never happened. I use the crane on my lorry 3 times a day x 3 days a week, and approximatly the same for the fork lift . What is the legal position regarding refresher training and whose responsibility is it to arrange any?( there is a long story behind me asking this question) Thanks in advance.

I have a HIAB card issued by Wallace, a company in London which offers ITSSAR-certified training, so if your card was through another certifying body (e.g. ALLMI) the rules may be different, but the card does not expire as such; there is simply a “recommended renewal” date. So you may still be legally allowed to use the crane; it all depends on his insurance.

Id say your competent, which is what the law states is required iirc. If it states that at all.

Id say its clear your boss sees it that way also.

That’s what I thought but he is suddenly trying to dismiss me , as he says that I am not licensed to do the job ! even though he has known that they ran out in 2011. This has come about because I would not sign anew contract without getting advise.

IndigoJo:
I have a HIAB card issued by Wallace, a company in London which offers ITSSAR-certified training, so if your card was through another certifying body (e.g. ALLMI) the rules may be different, but the card does not expire as such; there is simply a “recommended renewal” date. So you may still be legally allowed to use the crane; it all depends on his insurance.

Mine was with ALLMI and everything I have read says that there is no law that requires me to be licenced but rather it is good practice to have further training in the form of refresher and that it is his duty to provide it.

Sounds more like an employment law issue than a licensing one. After 11 years he can’t just kick you out can he?
Up to 2 years it’s a different story, but 11 years should be safe. If he’s asking you to change contracts and you’re not happy about signing the new one then maybe get some professional advice? May cost a few quid if you’re not in a union but could sava lot of grief.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Sounds more like an employment law issue than a licensing one. After 11 years he can’t just kick you out can he?
Up to 2 years it’s a different story, but 11 years should be safe. If he’s asking you to change contracts and you’re not happy about signing the new one then maybe get some professional advice? May cost a few quid if you’re not in a union but could sava lot of grief.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

He is trying ! I have brought the union in, and I am going down the appeal route he is saying I have lied regarding my licence which I have not ! I have asked over and over for refresher training but he would not arrange it. I am trying to gather together everything I can in respect of his responsibility in law around this that’s why I am asking the question.

There is no legal requirement for a licence or qualification to operate any piece of plant. All that is required is that the operator shall have received instruction and is competent, if you had a formal training of some sort then that ticks the boxes. If you have been using it for their business they have to accept that either they recognised the fact or were negligent to allow to use it if they deemed you otherwise.

I deliver plant of all shapes and sizes and I do not hold a plant operators in it’s own right, there are too many categories to cover everything. Technically I could go out and drive an excavator or dump truck. The problem arises when there is an accident as there is no official rubber stamping by anyone to say that they are happy with your competence.

A company or organisation requiring your services can demand that you have this card or that card or you can’t work but that is their way of making sure you are competent.

To keep things easy, I hold a CPCS for my Hiab and also have another for plant loader / securer. It’s just box ticking but can make the difference in getting the job one or not.

If he’s been employing you for 11 years he must think you’re competent! Even people like sparkies don’t need licensing they just have to be competent.

TiredAndEmotional:
If he’s been employing you for 11 years he must think you’re competent! Even people like sparkies don’t need licensing they just have to be competent.

If you look up the respective dictionary definitions, there is a difference between the meanings of stupid & ignorant.

If you think that sparkies “don’t need licensing they just have to be competent” then you are both.

Please stay away from soshal meedya platforms that crossover between your world & the real world.

Heaven help the person looking for an answer on this new phenomenon who comes across your ignorant &/or stupid post.

Most jobs have to have a record of updating, refreshing, on most positions
It’s all to do with H/S now it don’t matter what job you do, H/S it’s all about being signed off and everyone is happy
You will have drivers who are driving 40 years and never had an accident doing refresher courses or it could be called something different by name same thing
Even if you had the license before you started he would have to go through the process of making sure you are signed off on his books before starting the job

Dork Lard:

TiredAndEmotional:

If you look up the respective dictionary definitions, there is a difference between the meanings of stupid & ignorant.

If you think that sparkies “don’t need licensing they just have to be competent” then you are both.

Please stay away from soshal meedya platforms that crossover between your world & the real world.

Heaven help the person looking for an answer on this new phenomenon who comes across your ignorant &/or stupid post.

Shows how much you know. Show me a sparkies licence then clever clogs…

I can’t see why any employer would risk not having a driver licensed to operate a crane ,I’ve just payed £280 for my driver and relief driver to do thier allmi unlimited size ,why risk having a load turned away ?

Punchy Dan:
I can’t see why any employer would risk not having a driver licensed to operate a crane ,I’ve just payed £280 for my driver and relief driver to do thier allmi unlimited size ,why risk having a load turned away ?

It might be a company requirement to be licenced but not a legal requirement. Unlike truck drivers.

Yes but it would not be good in the eyes of the insures or the hse in the event of a accident would it .

The only thing you may find,is if delivering to building sites they may require you to have the CITB ,or whatever it is called nowdays ,I remember in the early nighties ,when in the army I then all of a sudden ha to have a qualification to use HIAB /ATLAS /AND OVERHEAD CRANES …Will admit the military course was harder than the civvy move a block of concrete from circle A to circle B…We where expected to work out the centre of gravity of a challenger gun barrel ,so when lifted it was perfectly balanced and lifted of the blocks at the same time

Dork Lard:

TiredAndEmotional:

Come on fat ■■■■ bring your evidence.