Hiab Grab?

Hi all,
i have been offered agency work through Xmas,its using Hiab Grab.
I have never used my Hiab for a couple of years. Never used a grab before can anyone let me no what to expect. :confused: :confused:

It is just wrong nicking all the letters to Santa :stuck_out_tongue:

Assuming you mean a brick/tile/pallet grab, the error I made while swapping from one agency job to another was in thinking the legs were of similar lengths.
I had been doing quite a few shifts for a roofing supply company and the grab would pick up pallets of tiles no problem, but when I tried this on a Jewson job the grab must have shorter legs because it started to crush the top tiles, so slings had to be used under the pallet.
On some trucks the legs have to be 100% out or the hydraulics trip out, a pain if you don’t know. Try and get a good run through the truck from somebody experienced. Very few PTO’s (Power Take Off), are clearly marked, make sure you know where it is before you set off :blush: If you do tiles, ask the guys what way round they want them landed, it helps them when loading the conveyor/lift, if you help them they’ll help you :smiley:
Good luck :wink:

Wheel Nut:
It is just wrong nicking all the letters to Santa :stuck_out_tongue:

“Alright luv, your letter is in here somewhere”

Royal Mail’s new cost cutting delivery method of ‘cutting out the middle man’ was a little extreme to say the least. :open_mouth: :exclamation: :laughing:

Post box returned when all post has been delivered.

Coat…hat…taxi. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’m assuming you mean brick grab a la builders’ merchants,not muck grab?

If in doubt; use slings.

More than usual, avoid sharp jerky movements with the crane.

Make sure you know EXACTLY which lever is the grab release and treat it as though it’s electrically live whilst your load is in transit! Been there dropped that! :blush:

Keep the load as close as possible to the deck. As soon as you’re clear of the wagon body, S-L-O-W-L-Y lower the boom till you’re a few inches off the deck.

Make sure there are no obstructions (bits of timber etc) in the way when you’re picking a brick-pack up blind. Always touch the grab to the deck, then raise it a teensy bit before closing the grab on the load. Clamp, lift up (ensuring that it’s going to go up straight to avoid swinging) a couple of inches clear of the bed, check again to make sure its secure before manoeuvering.

Sorry if this is “teaching your granny to ■■■■ eggs” but it’s the things I picked up on when I started doing grabs, never having been formally taught.

Ask agency to get the company you are sent to to give you familiarization training.

:smiley:

Remember the clearances for power lines!

If your doing building merchant work the bindings on building blocks can be very dodgy. IIRC they should be gripped on the edges.

Thanks guys :slight_smile: I think its a muck grab Clamshell :open_mouth:

what are you shifting ? Bricks / kerbs / steel /general :question:

If its the 1st two , make sure the clamp rubbers are in good condition and not oily.
Check round the crane and controls and valves and ancillaries and hoses/connections for oil leaks.
Last thing you need is a claim for an oil spill .

Dont forget to take your PPE.
Hi-viz / safety hard-hat / gloves/ toetec footwear, safety glasses , etc , and a ■■■■ good warm coat :slight_smile:

Have a play with the jib operating controls your using before you go off out on the run , get a feel how quick /slow it handles up-down -slew.

Beware of your surroundings when swinging the boom, and as said before of cables over-head.
remember to ratchet-strap the clamp end down when youv`e stowed + finished loading/offloading.
Dont lower the rigger support legs onto your foot , it hurts :cry:

Good luck , have fun .

ps … oooooooppps just seen the clamshell bit :open_mouth:
possibly self loading your own tipper body ?
Dont open the clam till its inside the body …it makes a mess :laughing:

ravanoli:
Thanks guys :slight_smile: I think its a muck grab Clamshell :open_mouth:

Now that’s a lot easier. I did a week on one at a road trench site for new power lines.
The guys on site were very good. One had been a driver so he showed me a lot of tricks to get the job done quicker.
Main thing I remember was that the stabiliser legs were just lowered, not extended, cut down a lot of time and hassle, in fact they looked as if they had hardly ever been extended, all rusty and gunged up.
If your loading yourself be very careful as you get near the operating controls with the clam shell. It can swing about like crazy and do you a nasty.
Don’t forget the tailgate locks! I forgot them once in the week and of course who noticed, the site foreman!
If your working with a road crew, they’ll be in a hurry, don’t be pressurised to rush.
Have fun, I enjoyed it, and the craic(?) with the lads was great.
I’d definitely do it again

Thanks Gordy! Its with the local council so they wont be in Rush :smiley: I never thought i would use my Hiab again. Its only a 26 tonne rigid .ÂŁ12 per hour so i had to say yes. :wink:

all advice welcome

ÂŁ12/hr :smiley:
Geeza job :open_mouth:

Second day and loving it :smiley: You can get good experience with the council,swapping over Attachments. They also do Gritting so you have to swap over the bodys. Muck grab is fun :smiley: :smiley: . There to after xmas so its good news,instead off all the other news we’ve been getting.

ravanoli:
Second day and loving it :smiley: You can get good experience with the council,swapping over Attachments. They also do Gritting so you have to swap over the bodys. Muck grab is fun :smiley: :smiley: . There to after xmas so its good news,instead off all the other news we’ve been getting.

Good for you, well done. At last, a cheerful post!

MR VAIN:

ravanoli:

Good for you, well done. At last, a cheerful post!

I 2nd that, glad to hear your enjoying yourself :smiley: