HIAB Crane Controls

Anybody got a diagram of the controls on a Atlas Hiab crane please? Something in plain English, not the pictures on the knobs :blush:

What you un-sure about mate? I use a hiab crane everyday, the atlas controls are slightly different i think, in a different order.

Saaamon:
What you un-sure about mate? I use a hiab crane everyday, the atlas controls are slightly different i think, in a different order.

I did the hiab course 3 years ago and went out today with another chap. The symbols don’t ‘click’, I need to change them to something I can understand.
Thanks for the reply.

Just have a play in an open area, make sure theres no wires about especially green (non-coated) wires as these will kill you. Also make sure your legs are out, a guy at our place didn’t put his legs out fully then started craning off, it got a wobble on which caused him to panic and he jumped off the 6ft platform at the back, which resulted in his leg breaking in 7 places.

What you lifting with the crane?

Saaamon:
Just have a play in an open area, make sure theres no wires about especially green (non-coated) wires as these will kill you. Also make sure your legs are out, a guy at our place didn’t put his legs out fully then started craning off, it got a wobble on which caused him to panic and he jumped off the 6ft platform at the back, which resulted in his leg breaking in 7 places.

What you lifting with the crane?

I’m lifting building materials.
I need a way of making sense of the controls.
Thanks for the reply.

Id never used a Bonfiglioli up until my last job, just had a play, got it sussed in a week, but could never remember which was was clockwise, anticlockwise slew. :confused:

Look at what the crane is doing when you use the controls i found that helped, dont be rushed either there not easy to use. I’ve tried looking for pictures but cant find any, i’ll get a picture of my controls tomorrow if i remember. Can the guy your working with not help you with it?

Atlas 105
Lever 1 - Stabiliser in / out
Lever 2 - Extend telescopic jib in / out
Lever 3 - Middle knuckle to fold / unfold crane
Lever 4 - Main lift ram up / down
Lever 5 - Slew control
Lever 6 - Stabilisers up / down

Basic sequence

Lever 1 - Stabilisers out
Lever 6 - Stabilisers down
Lever 3 - Check crane fully folded in
Lever 4 - Lift main ram to allow clearance to unfold
Lever 5 - Rotate crane to required angle
Lever 3 - Unfold crane
Lever 2 - Extend if required.

Hope this helps

Cormach 19000E3

Basically the same

8wheels:

Atlas 105
Lever 5 - Slew control

Basic sequence

Lever 3 - Unfold crane

Hope this helps

Just watch out though as most controls are the other way round, as in

1, Slew
2, Main lift
3, Knuckle
4, Extend
5, Legs

If you have a grab and rotator it will most likely be this

1, Slew
2, Main lift
3, Knuckle
4, Extend
5, Grab Rotator
6, Grab
5, Legs

Then thes joystick controls

Left hand is slew and knuckle, Right hand is main lift and rotator, Left foot pedal is normally the extension and right pedal is normally the grab. The leg controls are normally separate, and can be in many different places.

Have fun :laughing:

Soz, I forgot, I did take some pics.
I googled first and TNUK came up but no pics, hence the post.

Anyways:-

8wheels:

Atlas 105
Lever 5 - Slew control

Basic sequence

Lever 3 - Unfold crane

Hope this helps

Nice one,
Thanks very much :smiley: :smiley:

8 Wheels description is pretty much spot on for you, now i’ve seen the photo of your controls, just a few tweeks

Lever 1 - Stabilisers up / down
Lever 2 - Stabilisers in/out
Lever 3 - Grab
Lever 4 - Grab Rotator
Lever 5 - Extend telescopic jib in / out
Lever 6 - Middle knuckle to fold / unfold crane
Lever 7 - Main lift ram up / down
Lever 8 - Slew control

A few tips, may seem obvious but don’t let anyone rush you, and don’t let customers try and tell you what your crane is capable of, they will always try it on and say the other driver got it over there blah blah blah, at the end of the day its meant to be road side delivery not bend over backwards doing silly things so the lazy sods can save 2 mins carrying the suff.

If your not happy that’s final and you will always be backed up by that.

edit got my leavers the wrong way :laughing:

8 legger:
8 Wheels description is pretty much spot on for you, now i’ve seen the photo of your controls, just a few tweeks

Lever 1 - Stabilisers up / down
Lever 2 - Stabilisers in/out
Lever 3 - Grab
Lever 4 - Grab Rotator
Lever 5 - Extend telescopic jib in / out
Lever 6 - Middle knuckle to fold / unfold crane
Lever 7 - Main lift ram up / down
Lever 8 - Slew control

edit got my leavers the wrong way :laughing:

Nice one. Many thanks everyone.
I’m expected to know this cos I’ve done the course, even though it was 3 years ago. The chap I’m with is great but It’s not easy getting it wrong so often.
This will help, it makes sense of the ‘patterns’ on the knobs.

One word of warning, the levers are linked from side to side by rods meaning that the the controls are always relative to their position along the length of the vehicle.

Lets say that standing at the nearside the 4 main levers are as follows

1 slew
2 lift
3 fold
4 exend

on the drivers side they will be

1 extend
2 fold
3 lift
4 slew

A couple of other handy hints.

Unfold the crane from the opposite side so that it does not open above you, they usually have somewhere that rainwater collects until you unfold the crane. Don’t worry if you forget, once you’ve had the cold shower you tend to remember!

Don’t be tempted to fold the crane away from the other side though even if there is an alignment marker, you really need to see that the crane settles into it’s closed postion properly it’s a very small tolerance and there are plenty of bits that you can knock off or damage.

Try and use the main lift and the knuckle together to bring the crane in or out in a smooth fluid motion rather than 2 separate motions, just be mindful that once one ram has travelled it’s full amount all the hydraulic power will go to the other one. For example to get maximum outreach you need to straighten the arm by folding the knuckle outwards whilst lowering the main lift to keep the hook reasonably level, once the knuckle is straight all the power will then go to the main lift ram and it will drop much faster if not careful.

Most of it is common sense, but if you can spend 10 minutes or so in an empty space and get a feel then it should come together, you really need to be able to work those 4 levers and know whether pulling it up or down will make the crane move which way. Just be extra vigilant when someone is lending a hand steadying a pallet or is anywhere near the cranes radius.

double post :confused:

Like pretty much everyone has said you just need to muck around in an open clear area. Don’t just look at the controls all the time try to keep focused on the movements of the crane, as when you’re on a little tight building site or domestic delivery you’ve usually got not much room for error and the potential to do some serious damage is present if you’re not careful.

Aim to be nice and steady with all movements, i.e. don’t jerk the crane through differing axis or you’ll have a job safely unloading products. I’ve seen guys swinging 1 ton bags or block pallets that could quite easily hurt the apprentice builder type who is staring at his phone.

Practise, and practise some more, good Hiab drivers will unload quickly, smoothly and most importantly safely.

Obviously watch out for carrying out lifts etc on softer ground, you’re obviously better carrying a few 0.5m sq. 2in thick wooden landing pads for the legs, or you buy the reinforced plastic ones.

Oh yeah and keep jumping up and down off the truck like a pratt a few times a day, and your knees will get f****d sooner rather than later.

Obviously the best option is the fully remote control backpack so you can stay a safe distance away and eliminate blind spots( of which there a lot depending on different lifts with the standard control system), but most companies will not pay as they are pretty expensive, and it’s probably a false economy for the smaller cranes. (5-20t/m).

Also if a customer wants you to reverse down the drive etc make sure you mention that they’ll be therefore accepting liability covering the damage etc if anything occurs on their property.