Hi-Viz

Was driving down the M6 the other night was a roadworker standing on lane three, it was the section down near the M58 which is brightly lit at night.

With the orange lighting, it made the guy really hard to see because he was wearing bright yellow hi-viz jacket and trousers.

In the dark or streets with old fashioned white lights, you do stand out in a hi-viz, but with the bright orange lights in most places, ive noticed it makes you kinda invisable.

Espec since a lot of RDC’s and yards have these bright orange lights, yet if you didnt wear one H&S ■■■■’s would jump on you.

Just thinking its insane wearing something that i think in a lot of circumstances makes you less visable.

Why are the lights orange and not white?

I thought the gov were going to bring white lights back on streets and elsewhere.

with orange lighting the best thing to wear is the orange hi-viz as the orange lighting picks out and highlights any thing orange

Same as white light headlamps pick out the white lines in the road

chippy:
Why are the lights orange and not white?

I thought the gov were going to bring white lights back on streets and elsewhere.

I thought they were switching em all off

They are orange because I am sure that colour cuts through fog. That’s why French cars used to always have those yellow lights, because they improved visibility in fog. I stand to be corrected though but I’m sure that’s the case

Steve

Well, if you want to test your clothing for visibility, take off the hi-vis vest and see how long it takes for the H&S nazis to spot you, it won’t be long :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :unamused: :laughing:

Steve-o:
They are orange because I am sure that colour cuts through fog. That’s why French cars used to always have those yellow lights, because they improved visibility in fog. I stand to be corrected though but I’m sure that’s the case

They’re yellow because they’re low pressure Sodium lights. Anyone who did GCSE/O-level Chemistry will remember that Sodium produces yellow light when it’s heated. I won’t go into the exact details because it’s quite complicated, but it’s down to the structure of the Sodium atom. They used low-pressure sodium lighting because it’s more energy-efficient than filament bulbs (i.e. “normal” light bulbs). The “cutting through fog” was a nice benefit.

The newer streetlights are high pressure Sodium. For some reason, they produce a whiter light (albeit still tinted yellow). I’m not sure how they get a whiter light, but they do.

MrFlibble:

Steve-o:

They’re yellow because they’re low pressure Sodium lights. Anyone who did GCSE/O-level Chemistry will remember that Sodium produces yellow light when it’s heated. I won’t go into the exact details because it’s quite complicated, but it’s down to the structure of the Sodium atom. They used low-pressure sodium lighting because it’s more energy-efficient than filament bulbs (i.e. “normal” light bulbs). The “cutting through fog” was a nice benefit.

The newer streetlights are high pressure Sodium. For some reason, they produce a whiter light (albeit still tinted yellow). I’m not sure how they get a whiter light, but they do.

He is absolutely right. They are called SOX lamps, generally between 18 to 90 watts.They use them because they are super efficient and last many thousands of hours. You also need less of them to achieve the required 1 lux average.
The white light is acheived using White SON or metal halide lamps, between 70w to 400w. These actually are not as bright but appear to be brighter becase of the colour. They are not as efficient and have a shorter maintenance period but are used because colours (unlike SOX lamps) can be distinguished better.

Steve-o:

Steve

is that why we call them frogs or did we just miss hear it :unamused: :unamused:

sorry in one of those moods today i will shut up now :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

ROG:
with orange lighting the best thing to wear is the orange hi-viz as the orange lighting picks out and highlights any thing orange

Same as white light headlamps pick out the white lines in the road

I asked a supplier a few years ago why they had orange and yellow, he said orange stands out better under some lights and thats the reason why royal mail and people who work on the railways etc use orange instead of the hi-viz yellow as it stands out better. but that not me saying that, thats what i was told.

can anybody confirm deny this?? :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation:

I was told a while back (and I have no means of proving or disproving this) that certain RDC’s are looking at ensuring that only people who actually walk around in the same vicinity as fork trucks/moving traffic wear hi-vis.

Apparently the reasoning behind this is that the human brain gets used to seeing certain things and eventually disregards it, thus making the hi-vis wearer less visible than someone dressed “normally” if this makes sense?

I suppose a comparison would be motorcyclists who campained against daytime haedlights when the idea was first proposed. Their argument was that many drivers don’t see them now even with their lights on, so if everyone was forced to run with daytime lights on they’d be even harder to spot.

Anyway, maybe I was told that, or maybe it was all a dream.

I rest my case M’lud. :laughing:

from my skiving days at network rail this time last year from one of the many elf n safety breifings I seem to remember the reason they use orange hi viz is so your train driver sees you in the distance where as if you were in green hi viz you blend in to background or the train driver thinks its agreen signal and runs you and youe workmates over

could be wrong of course :smiley:

DHL issue us with orange Don’t Knock Me Down kit because it supposedly stands out better against our yellow and red vehicles than the green does. I can confirm if you wear neither orange or green you apparently stand out like a sore thumb because the H&S lovers spot you no problem at all.

At some places i sometimes ask the security bloke if i have to wear my “RUN ME OVERCOAT”

This reminds me of those guys who got into the houses of Parliment a few years ago. Instead of trying to act all covert they simply got hi-viz vests on and mingled with the builders. Although they also might of had a bit of inside help. The fact they were wearing high viz meant that nobody really took any notice of them. :open_mouth:

Road marking crew working near me wear both colours. Orange trousers and Yellow coats. The yellow certainly stands out better, but this is during the day as they don’t work at night.