Hi Viz

robroy:

commonrail:
Won’t be long now,before flashing leds are incorporated into work wear.
Maybe even"body cam" for evidence,in case there’s a misdemeanor.

I reckon you’re joking, but it’s bound to come mate, these cretins in their non jobs are fast running out of crazy ideas to justify their existence. :unamused:

. If it can also have an inbuilt tracker. . So somone I office can keep track of us just in case we stary off the walkways. And remember it’s for your own safety

The simple reason for me, is hi viz are worn for coupling/uncoupling trailers, air lines…on the cat walk…and they sometimes get covered in grease, so because i like to look clean and tidy, i dont want grease left on my seats, so that it can be transferred to my clothes…once saw a new agency driver, who wore a hi viz coat…he didnt have a clue on how to couple up a fridge…so he laid on his back on the catwalk, to connect the airlines, and there were huge dollops of grease all the way up his back…he then proceeded to get into the cab…and thats when i stopped him, and pointed out the error of his ways…once he took it off and looked at all of the grease, he said : Thank you, that could have gone into my car ` I kid you not…however , i did show him how to connect up to a fridge for future reference. My hi viz stays in the side locker…until i get in or out of the cab, unless its saturday and i go shopping… with the missus… :smiley: :smiley:

robroy:

commonrail:

I reckon you’re joking, but it’s bound to come mate, these cretins in their non jobs are fast running out of crazy ideas to justify their existence. :unamused:

They have been available for recovery drivers for a number of years.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Unless your one of the emergency services/recovery operative or womble squad, wearing a green hi viz vest on the motorway is illegal, ok it’s not but bare with me. I’ve been saying this in RDC waiting rooms for a while.

In reality wearing a hi viz vest on the mway is compulsory for agency drivers, in fact nothing screams agency muppet more than seeing a fellow damsel jump out of their poorly parked truck vested up and limp off to the services for a ■■■.

Course its personal choice and each to their own etc but be careful how you will be perceived by your peers.

Took mine off in a Tesco waiting room once, should have heard the gasps of disbelief I got for being this maverick, but strangely I became instantly visible to the goods in staff who had ignored me for 5 minutes.

I have a hi viz/glow in the dark pack of condoms for special occasions, high risk manouvers and some light saber action. First time I put one on the wife shouted "Oh look it’s ‘Obi Little K’nobby’ ", she can be brutal it’s why I loves her… :wink:

commonrail:

Like this…

amazon.co.uk/Fuloon-Safety- … B00BMLAB7S

Those who wear them when driving make themselves look like a window licker and are unlikely to posses much driving ability.

Never mind the fact that it’s outside wear and inside the cab is… Inside.

Don’t go round bq etc in a high viz or your get asked where’s your nails etc

commonrail:

This is already a thing at big construction sites in London. It’s normal to see the traffic marshals wearing body cams. Mind you, the sheer amount of abuse they get from ignorant commuters probably makes it worth having just in case something kicks off.

I wonder if a hi viz mankini would satisfy the H@S loons.

robroy:

windrush:
We had to wear it all the time on tippers 20+ years ago, a hi viz vest and a hard hat when driving in the quarry and on sites. Safety glasses as well nowadays of course. Not a problem and you didn’t think twice about it after a while. I didn’t like wearing those hi viz jackets that seem popular nowadays much though, unless it was really cold as I found them restrictive.

Pete.

Had to wear the full clown suit while tipping in quarries.
But you say you HAD to wear it while driving ■■. :open_mouth: …how tf can they explain that one and still look credible. :unamused:
[zb] whits the lot of em.

Well we didn’t HAVE to wear them while driving back then (that pic is from 1996) but it saved wrestling the thing on and off each time you got in and out of the cab! You had to wear it to get your load ticket anyway and it was only a vest so you didn’t realise you had it on really. When the full jackets came in my train driving brother gave me a rail maintenance workers orange one and it was lovely and lightweight but also warm and waterproof. However the quarry manager spotted me in it; “Can’t wear that, it isn’t visible enough” and I replied that you spotted me in it so it must be visible? Apparently it didn’t meet regulation blah blah blah etc so it had to get swapped for a heavy ■■■■■■■■■■ yellow one. :unamused: Now they all wear orange so I assume that nobody can actually see them? :confused:

Pete.

Aside from the visual distortion in the windscreen they seem like the modern equivalent of flat-caps,plebish,useless and demeaning outside of a hazardous loading scenario.

the maoster:
Hate them with a passion. I’d also question the effectiveness of them too. What the eye sees constantly becomes commonplace and thus disregarded by the brain. In the old days when only motorway cops and roads workers wore them they really stood out, nowadays not so much.

A bit like the overuse of orange beacons, just to reopen another can of worms :wink:

^^^
This
No hi viz/boots/hard hat ect, the only thing we carry are gloves. I bought the missus a small vest hi viz but dont think shes ever worn it.

As for driving in one, each to their own but…personally think it looks slovenly…

edd1974:
Which colour do you go for though?yellow or red/orange one

I like orange but I would never wear what stobbies do,i think they are pink or am I wrong

mike68:

the thought of that,yech,no way

robroy:

truckman020:
again I have noticed another driver on here going on about drivers wearing Hi Viz in their cabs,what is the problem with that,i wear mine in my cab because everytime I take it off it turns itself inside out,i can’t be axxxd to keep taking it off everytime I finish a delivery so I leave it on,to some drivers it seems to be the crime of the century the way they go on,there are a lot worse things to worry about than a bloody Hi Viz being worn in the cab

Not ‘Crime of Century’ or anything to ‘worry about’ at all mate.
Imo I just think that sitting behind the wheel in one in a truck makes you look a complete Herbert …that’s all. :neutral_face:
I hate the bloody things and only wear it when I’m forced to.
Also if I’m that way out, for a bit of fun I often don’t put one on just to watch some sad arsed dicks who think they’re important, have heart attack symptoms when they see me…but hey, that’s what I’m like. :smiley:

Rob’s foc top tip…Handy way for getting banned from places you hate btw. :bulb:

personally I hate them,always said if I win the lottery I would burn every one of them,but as I said I just can’t be arsed to keep taking mine off and on,if I walk into where I regularly deliver I get asked '‘can you put your Hi Viz on drive’'unfortunately it stays on for the rest of the day cos as I said can’t be arsed to take it off

In the 11 years driving for my company I have only been required to wear a hiviz vest once and that was in Kraft in Montreal Canada. I have the thing in my cab and it stays there.

truckman020:

mike68:

the thought of that,yech,no way

Not sure if personal photos are allowed but here’s a quick selfie wearing mine, £30 from B&M and £10 is up me arris…

edd1974:
I don’t work for them. But often drop parcels in at dpd in irlam. On gate on way out there’s a huge sign saying drivers remember to remove your hi viz before leaving yard. God knows why not like doing any harm to anyone.

I used to work for DPD and they do this purely for image. They even insist that drivers wear a different tee shirt whilst loading in the depot and change before you leave to do your run so that you look clean and presentable. I never minded this as they supplied loads of spare uniform for free and would give you more whenever you asked.

robroy:

commonrail:

Were we run out off, they already have the next generation “visual aid”. A blue flashing light which clips to the hard hat or can be worn with an armband for when walking through operational areas. They’re not on general release yet though, it seems that only “important” people are getting to wear them at the moment.

Same level as having to switch on your hazards to drive around a yard…

the maoster:
Hate them with a passion. I’d also question the effectiveness of them too. What the eye sees constantly becomes commonplace and thus disregarded by the brain. In the old days when only motorway cops and roads workers wore them they really stood out, nowadays not so much.

A bit like the overuse of orange beacons, just to reopen another can of worms :wink:

Like traffic noise? I get it! That’s why pedestrians commit hari-kari the noise is just part of the landscape so there’s nothing standing out just a constant roar! :smiley: