Hi peeps new driver here!

Hi Truckers, my name is Carl i live in Hampshire, Gosport i am 28yr old

MY story-
left the army October 2012 after 8 years service. For Resettlement i chose to do Class 1 and 2 adr and CPC.
Completing and passing all my tests by November 2012. Since then i have applied for hundreds of LGV HGV work and had no joy. Im starting to think now ive blown a wedge off money on a ■■■■ qualification.
Im currently working as a van delivery driver but there not enough hours and not what i want to do ! Plus this don’t count to HGV experience.

If any one can help me with advice, contacts, point me in the right direction or offer me a job i would be very thankful

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

personally I would recommend doing a bit of agency work, it won’t be glamorous work and the pay might not be great but it will help you get experience. Once you’ve done a few months of agency work then you could go around to perspective employers and talk to them knowing that you have got relevant experience.

Anyway mate, I wish you the best of luck

Ok thanks il look into that !! what equipment do i need ? i see a lot of people have there own sat navs etc

madcarl21:
Ok thanks il look into that !! what equipment do i need ? i see a lot of people have there own sat navs etc

For day work you only need the basics,

Digital Tachogragh card(if you don’t already have one that is)
Sat Nav(preferably truck specific) and the common sense to operate it.
Truckers atlas.
steel toe boots.
waterproofs and hard hat are always handy.

This is a very, very basic list but its what I currently carry but you can add your own extras as and when you feel you need it

Did you pass initial driver cpc modules 2 and 4 ?

Ok cheers il look into getting that stuff.

Yea passed mod 2 and 4

Rang a agency up they said i get chucked straight in deep in. get in and drive. think i want to be a passenger with some 1 first for a day to see how it all works. any drivers in portsmouth area want some company ?

madcarl21:
Rang a agency up they said i get chucked straight in deep in. get in and drive. think i want to be a passenger with some 1 first for a day to see how it all works. any drivers in portsmouth area want some company ?

Hey Carl,

I get where you’re coming from I wanted to do the same, but due to insurance not many companies allow passengers. So unfortunately it generally is a case of diving straight in and getting your hands dirty. The best advice I can give is take any work they throw at you and make sure you communicate with the planner/transport manager when you get there, asking for any information on awkward drops you may have and talk to the other drivers working there.

Best of luck mate!

Ok cheers mate. What the hell. Lets go for it!! Got to leave my current job yet. Which I’m gna do in the next few weeks. Can’t wait. Then on to the agencies.

Any one know anythink about HGV mechanics? Their on some serious money. I got a level 2 NVQ engineering mechanical. But don’t think that’s high enough grade to get a job. Bugger lol

madcarl21:
Ok cheers mate. What the hell. Lets go for it!! Got to leave my current job yet. Which I’m gna do in the next few weeks. Can’t wait. Then on to the agencies.

Any one know anythink about HGV mechanics? Their on some serious money. I got a level 2 NVQ engineering mechanical. But don’t think that’s high enough grade to get a job. Bugger lol

All you can do is go in & ask about jobs

I passed my test & went straight in at the deep end np so if a woman can do it you can or are you just a mouse best to be thrown in at deep end then rest becomes easy :smiley:

Just an idea.Maybe place an advert offering your services at Portsmouth truckstop with the owners permision or at the drivers check in office in the port.
Getting to the freight side where they embark for the ferries may be a problem to get past security.
In the truck magazines you can place a free advert.I got three job offers doing that.
Ferryspeed in Portsmouth is a large firm to try.
Or removal firms.Most go to Europe.
Vosa have a website that lists hauliers in your area under applications and deciscions O licence searching.
Davies International.Maybe they have a contact for work.
It may be a case of rubbish bin collecting or skip work.

Lol like it !! I’m a lion no mouse. U not seen my pics no ? Lol

toby1234abc:
Just an idea.Maybe place an advert offering your services at Portsmouth truckstop with the owners permision or at the drivers check in office in the port.
Getting to the freight side where they embark for the ferries may be a problem to get past security.
In the truck magazines you can place a free advert.I got three job offers doing that.
Ferryspeed in Portsmouth is a large firm to try.
Or removal firms.Most go to Europe.
Vosa have a website that lists hauliers in your area under applications and deciscions O licence searching.
Davies International.Maybe they have a contact for work.
It may be a case of rubbish bin collecting or skip work.

Ok brilliant il look into that

Mate, I was the same. I left the army 18 days ago but was working for an agency since July, gotta do something with all that leave. Every company I went into I asked around if they were recruiting full time, a lot of the drivers are ex forces anyway as I’m sure you’ve found out so they’ll see you right. The other good thing about agency work is you can find out who the decent firms to work for are as well as gaining loads of experience. It pays off, I start a full time job on Monday. Keep at it, you’ll get something.

Alright thats good !! good luck to ya.
Yea im just waiting to buy a sat nav, then will crack on with agency work