Hi i record driving hours whilst learning?

Hi,

Passed class 2 in September. I have 3 days training for class 1 in November. Do I need to count my training hours as driving hours for that week? for example my training will be 8 hours on Mon, Tues, weds,(24 hours) so Can I still drive full hours on the Sunday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday? or are training hours exempt?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I am NOT an expert, but here is my take on it.

If you are being paid a wage (not just holiday pay) by an employer whilst you are being trained and the employer has instructed you to do the training, then you are on duty and you must record it as Other Work on your digi card or on a tacho disc if you dont have a card. You are ‘Working’ those days. And I dont think it should be recorded as Driving either, it is actually ‘Other Work’ plus your duty breaks and shift end/start times.

On the other hand, if you are NOT forced to take the training and you are paying for it yourself and you are doing it entirely of your own free will, then it is ‘Out of Scope’ of drivers hours and EU regs because there is an exception to do with driving in pursuance of obtaining a licence. So you wouldnt have to positively record it as work or duty. You are not ‘Working’ those days.

I am sure that somebody else will now jump in and either confirm or disprove what I have said.

but that is my opinion on the matter :slight_smile: