Hi Guys - Trucking in Vancouver area

Hi Guys, just stumbled across here whilst doing some research. I am moving to Canada in October having lived here in the UK since I was 4. Im heading for Vancouver as I have a cousin there who will look after me while i get on my feet there. Any advise on what sort of trucking job to look out for. Ideally the best paid… I am going over alone, so distance work ideal. I have 12 years European/Bosnia/Kosovo/Poland etc experience, although have been off the road for a few years now as i got sick of the traffic and everything having to be there “yesterday”.

I take it I will have to take a Canadian Truck test also?

Is there a new post button on this forum?

hi dave
can’t help you too much on vancouver though i do know there is alot of container work off the docks, will scout some mags for you.
yes you will need canadian class 1 here.
steve.

Study hard for the Canadian test, the pretrip section is VITAL and full of arcane details about air-systems, brakes and the like. Unlike here, where the main part of the test is on the road, in Canada, about half of it happens before the truck leaves the test center.
You can go straight to a class A+Z (That’s artic with airbrakes) but remember that you also need to do all the written tests for those too, including one for air brakes.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

Am I right in thinking that other provinces actually offer a straight swap for the Uk licence? Instead of having to take them all again?

Also, I dont see many posts about driving in BC. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in anticipation :slight_smile:

You can swap a car licence, but can’t exchange your HGV for a CDL, you need to take the tests over there, same in all provinces.

Not many posts on trucking in British Columbia because it doesn’t offer a PNP for truckers, so the only way to drive there is on a temporary visa or to become resident in another province then move.