Hi from a newbie in Stoke

Just thought I would pop in to say hi.

I have just got my medical form signed off and posted it to Swansea, so it’s a waiting game now before I can get theory test booked and sort some training out.

Not sure how long this usually takes, guess I will struggle to be ready for the Christmas rush. Especially if I go straight for C+E after ?

From what I have seen so far it looks like a cracking site with loads of help and advice :smiley:
So I’m off for a nosey round :sunglasses:

Mick

M1CK C:
I’m off for a nosey round

Reading the stickies near the top of this forum is a must for a nosey :smiley:

Whilst there seems to be lots of C+E agency work around Stoke at the moment and agencies aren’t completely averse to taking on less-experienced drivers, I personally wouldn’t think you’d have any chance in time for this Christmas :frowning:

Stupid little things like having to send your license to DVLA after passing your class C and waiting for it to come back before you can even start your C+E training will hold you up.

I’ve never driven an artic since my test, and there’s an agency in Crewe offering me class 1 work at Stobarts in Stoke whenever I want it.

NOVE:
I’ve never driven an artic since my test, and there’s an agency in Crewe offering me class 1 work at Stobarts in Stoke whenever I want it.

If it’s Driver’s Direct then they’ll tell you all sorts of bull to get you in the door!

Stobarts I know have a thorough driving assessment - if you can get through it then you’re laughing.

I keep getting offered 4am starts. Is there someone to assess me there that early on? And yes it is Drivers Direct.

So far I’ve resisted jacking in my job, but the rates of pay I’ve been given in black and white are very tempting.

Realistically, it takes 7 weeks from licence application to CAT C pass. Then a further 4 weeks to CE. It can sometimes be shorter but those are the timescales I quote and sometimes there are nice surprises. Rarely does it exceed that timeframe unless multiple attempts at any of the tests are needed.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for all the replies.

Pete thanks for the estimate on time scales, this confirmed my suspicions.

I will hopefully have a better knowledge by the time I get class 2 as to whether or not I carry on and do class 1 straight away.
I guess deciding what kind of job I would enjoy the most will have a lot to do with this decision.
So many different variations to consider ( hihab, Moffet, multi drop, trunking, tramping, tippers ) to name a few.
Of course as a new driver it might be a case of get what you can, gain some experience then choose your career later on.

Mick

Without a doubt, CE licence holders have more choices. CE works tends to be easier, physically, and pays more.

The sums are simple: CE drivers will often earn £1 an hour more than their C counterpart. Doesn’t sound much. But 50 hours a week will make around £2500 per year extra. After tax, this will easily repay the cost of training.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Who are you doing your training with?

Not booked it yet but was thinking Bassetts.

M1CK C:
Not booked it yet but was thinking Bassetts.

I’d recommend them. Wished I’d used them in the first place. Avoid Sids - much cheaper but crap vehicles and poor teaching.

Thanks Simon
Tbh they were the only local company that sprang to mind when I first thought of getting training. They have been here as long as I can remember.
Following a little digging everything I have found seems to be positive :smiley:
As soon as my licence returns I will pop down to meet them and get a better feel for things.

I did both mine with Bassett’s. Couldn’t recommend them highly enough

Pete and Brian are ace. Totally put you at ease.

Nice one Nove
Nice to get positive feedback :smiley:

It’s a really good operation. Kath in the office can help you with anything you’re unsure of, they can even get you a discounted medical.