Hi all, Newbie here

HI everyone. I’m new to the site and this is my first ever post.

My name is Andreas and I’m 27 years old and I’ve finally decided that I want to get a HGV licence.

So where do I start… I’m currently working for Slater and Gordon, the huge Law firm in Watford. I work full time, 5 days a week, shift work.

I’m at a computer all day every day dealing with customers, and to be fair, it’s becoming tiresome and I’m getting quite depressed being there. I’ve worked there for 8 years+ and I want to try my hand at something new.

I’m someone who really craves being independent and having my own goals/tasks and meeting them myself. I’m not too keen on working in a team, so I’ve become interested in jobs such as Taxi driving/HGV driving. A job where I have to drive from point A to point B and it’s on ME if I get the job done.

I really don’t know where to start with when it comes to HGV and learning the different types of vehicles and licences. Currently I have a Full UK Automatic licence and I would really really like to one day work for a company driving a HGV. I’ve driven for over 5 years and I’d say I was a pretty good driver, not world renowned, but I could hold my own against Schumacher any day of the week :wink:

The thought of travelling from London to Scotland with load in my truck really does excite me (Honestly) Not having to deal with a manager in your ear every 30 seconds telling me to do this or do that… “why aren’t you hitting target”. I’m a very anti social person and a job where I’m in control a bit more is what I desire. I want to have the responsibility of waking up at 4am, getting to work by 5am, loading a truck, setting off, and just driving for 5-8 hours. The thought of it excites me, I WAS BORN FOR THIS.

When I told my other half she said “Come off it, who wants to drive for 6 hours straight?” Me that’s who.

Any way, sorry for the story. That’s it. What advice can you give me? What’s the best course of action to take to one day get me in a HGV and travelling to a delivery point!

Currently I have a Full UK Automatic licence

You could take LGV C auto but that will restrict you to autos only OR you can take C test in manual LGV C and get your car licence upgraded to manual

Please read all the stickies near the top of this forum carefully perhaps starting with the one in my signature below :bulb:

Raiders:
When I told my other half she said “Come off it, who wants to drive for 6 hours straight?” Me that’s who.

Well, you can forget that, for a start! :slight_smile:

Start reading up on the Drivers’ Hours Regulations :wink:

Yep driving 6 hours straight will get you a nice big fine.

Drivers hours

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

This could be an advantage as well

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71510

As Rog said read the sticky at the top as well