Hi all looking for advice :)

Hi all

So I’d like to start a driving career and iv been trying to get into delivery driving for some years now but can’t get in without previous experience :confused: iv now decided I’d like to take my C/C1 licence as I keep hearing there’s a demand for lorry drivers!

I had my eye test today medical is booked for the 7th of Jan so I can send off for my provisional! Then I need to choose a training company I guess!? I’m kings lynn based any advice on what to do next or what trainers to use is much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Cheers John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now is the time to start studying for thoery test. Once you have your professional back after the medical you can book it.
There are very good apps on iOS and android for the hgv thoery test.
Once you pass the thoery and hazard perception find a training school near you.
If it’s a good school they will he open to you visiting first before booking a course with them.
Visit to see thier trucks, instructor etc.

Best of luck

As I have stated on many threads - THERE IS NOT A DRIVER SHORTAGE

The Govt, agencies and brokers have a vested interest in saying there is a driver shortage but a little research will show there is not because virtually all the job ADs are from agencies not direct by companies and if there was a genuine shortage those passing would be snapped up by companies the moment they passed.

Check out the link in my signature below for virtually all you need to know

thehig:
Now is the time to start studying for thoery test. Once you have your professional back after the medical you can book it.
If it’s a good school they will he open to you visiting first before booking a course with them.

Best of luck

Thanks so crack on with the theory and hazard perception asap then! I’ll download some apps and get on it :slight_smile: there are 2x big trainers close to me Norfolk driver training and Hamiltons. The only obstacle I seem to face is time to do the course :confused: as I’m in full time work I’m planning on taking 2x weeks holiday to do my training and test is that going to be anywhere near enough?

ROG:
As I have stated on many threads - THERE IS NOT A DRIVER SHORTAGE

The Govt, agencies and brokers have a vested interest in saying there is a driver shortage but a little research will show there is not because virtually all the job ADs are from agencies not direct by companies and if there was a genuine shortage those passing would be snapped up by companies the moment they passed.

Check out the link in my signature below for virtually all you need to know

I’ll check your link out now Rog! I was told there was a shortage by a bulk driver I know he told me drivers are retorting quicker than people are replacing them! Last thing I want to do is fork out £3k in training and be left no where to use it lol! Your right I do see a lot of class 2 driver jobs whilst I look on indeed but most are agency advertised

Goldenb19:

thehig:

Best of luck

Thanks so crack on with the theory and hazard perception asap then! I’ll download some apps and get on it :slight_smile: there are 2x big trainers close to me Norfolk driver training and Hamiltons. The only obstacle I seem to face is time to do the course :confused: as I’m in full time work I’m planning on taking 2x weeks holiday to do my training and test is that going to be anywhere near enough?

I did the same, I used two weeks holiday to do my practical training, normally its 4-5 lessons (4 Hours per lesson) and a Test. Mine was Mon-Thur lessons and test on Friday.
Some Schools will spread out lessons on just Saturday, however if you can do the full weeks training while on holiday its better, as you wont forget what you have learnt, you can fully concentrate on your driving without thinking about your normal work.

Ring around the training Schools near you and see when they can fit you in, see of you can get weeks holiday for that week.

If you pass its onto your CPC, thats one more theory test and a practical demonstration exam, cross that bridge when you get there though.

ROG is correct there isn’t a driver shortage, however you can still get a job when passed by showing the right attitude and pro actively looking for work. There are companies that will take a punt on new starters.

I’m not going to comment on whether or not there’s a driver shortage. To some extent, demand for drivers is geographical which is one of the reasons there’s differing views. So I suggest you do your own research and then decide what to do.

As for having time off work, some trainers offer training over the weekends thus minimising time off. In our case, we have folks travel from all over the UK. They train all day Saturday and Sunday and take their test and their Mod 4 on Monday. On their way home by 11am. So only one day of work lost.

You might want to check out the Christmas Offer in the Sponsor Thread under my name. But don’t hang about - - last chance is Thursday. So only 2 days to go.

Anything I can help with, just pm me.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Agree with Peter about the driver shortage not 1 up here but Derby / Nottingham /Mansfield / Birmingham type are there is a slight shortage yep But do check your area

Also make sure that you visit the training school 1st before you part with any money the training school I used they booked all for me from medical theory hpt practical

Thing often go quiet in jan /feb time so please don’t expect miracles it can take some time