Hi, a new reborn old driver

Hi everyone, I have had a mine of info from this forum over the past few weeks while lurking and I would like to start by thanking everyone involved staff and members.
My story starts back in 1986 when I passed my class 1 PCV and then a few weeks later passed my class 3 HGV with the TA (as most will know this went on to be a class 2 HGV with grandfather rights).
I drove for the bus company right up until 2003 then after a very tragic accident (not blameworthy) I was going to leave but took a job in the office.
In 2010 I was 45 and let my licences expire as I had no wish to drive large vehicles again but later that year I was made redundant after 23 years service. I had a very good pay out but still needed to work as I would have gone potty but I couldn’t get my head around driving for a living again.
So I did a few office jobs that I did well in but they where agency (and I learnt to hate agencies) .
So I had an offer of a job looking after a forklift truck storage/prep warehouse and took it and rather liked it.
My boss asked if I would consider reactivating my class 2 and after a few months of chats I agreed (certainly no pressure) though there was a good amount of soul searching on my part.
I took the medical and now have a rather impressive array of entitlements back on my license :laughing:

Today with one of our Artic drivers I took out the rigid six wheeled Scania beaver tail with a 4 over 4 box (that’s took some getting used too) and we went from Warrington to Preston and picked up a FLT then to near Kendal and picked up two more FLT’s then to Bolton to drop two off and back to Warrington. We did as much on minor roads as practical to encourage gear change practice.
I have to say other than a few fluffed gear changes I think I got it, I have it on good authority the box is a fighter lol. I didn’t hit anything or cross a line or twang a kerb and boy did we do some country lanes.
I had a great day and enjoyed every minute and feel proud I made the decision to get back in the saddle.
So if you where in those areas where a truck with forklift trucks on the back fluffed his gears (not that often lol) I am sorry :laughing:

Its another world from bus driving and dare I say it…more relaxed sorry :laughing:

Thanks again guys.

I bet it feels good to be back doesn’t it.

Well done on getting past the accident and coming back to the land of the erm driving.

Remember you need to do your dCPC before 9/9/14 and that hours law changed in 2007.

There are loads of useful topic on here to help you.

Once again well done and good luck.

Thanks Tom.
I am lucky as work pay for everything including the medical and dCPC, in fact they bring a trainer in and get the wagon drivers and van drivers who tow to do it altogether and we get paid double time for it on a Saturday so its an extra few days overtime :laughing:
Oh and yes it was a great day :smiley:

Drift:
Thanks Tom.
I am lucky as work pay for everything including the medical and dCPC, in fact they bring a trainer in and get the wagon drivers and van drivers who tow to do it altogether and we get paid double time for it on a Saturday so its an extra few days overtime :laughing:
Oh and yes it was a great day :smiley:

If the vans are 3.5 tonnes or less and those drivers do not drive LGVs then the dcpc is of no use to them and cannoot be creditted to them
The DVLA will accept the uploads but then those hours go into the ether

Hi ROG, I am not sure what the thinking is behind those engineers doing the course as far as I know they only have “normal” licences but the manager and company are quite active on driver training and education as we have a few flat back transits and lots of vans that do a bit of towing as well as the three Scania artics and the Scania rigid I will be driving.

Drift:
Hi ROG, I am not sure what the thinking is behind those engineers doing the course as far as I know they only have “normal” licences but the manager and company are quite active on driver training and education as we have a few flat back transits and lots of vans that do a bit of towing as well as the three Scania artics and the Scania rigid I will be driving.

Perhaps those with just a B licence are doing the training but not as dcpc

Very possibly :smiley:

Hello Drift, I done my test in 1985 and worked for the mod until now and like yourself im back to driving now, just part time and only on a 7.5 tonner for now. Theres been many changes since then.

Hi ytre ,
your not kidding things have really tightened up, god bless Europe eh? lol.

Drift:
Hi ytre ,
your not kidding things have really tightened up, god bless Europe eh? lol.

Wonder will all these rules be dropped if the uk pull out of Europe lol

Fingers crossed but too many people making money out of the rules so likely here to stay. :laughing:

Just a quick update,
I have been out and about the last couple of weeks and absolutely loving it.
I was never one to work overtime in the past, maybe the odd Saturday but I have been doing 9 and 10 hour days through the week and not noticing it.
Most of my runs are between Warrington to Shrewsbury and pottering around that area for the day, overnighters will be down that way soon but I have been doing local stuff an the odd trip to Yorkshire.

So all in all I definitely made the right decision, with help from our three other drivers and the great info on this forum and a bit of googling it all gave me my confidence back to enjoy the road and the people you meet on the way :sunglasses:

Now about this POA … :open_mouth: …joke … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Drift r u from Warrington

Yes, well I operate from Warrington but live in Kirkby :wink:

Best of luck to you Mr Newborn and welcome back to regulation central.

You aint kidding there Harry :laughing: