Hgv route planning

I know Im getting well ahead of myself here but I cant help looking for resources that will help my driving and planning in the future. I like the look of this hgv route planner but I don`t understand the planned route on the attached jpeg. I understand the 7.5ton except for loading restriction but this MADE up route has used a weight restricted road for the first part of journey rather than use the A511 bypass. I used weights and dimensions of a class 1 but nothing flagged up to say I would be driving through a restricted road.

like I say, learning to run before I can walk, but I like things straight in my head :smiley:

cheers as always for comments :smiley:

Route planners and satnavs are no match for reading road signs! Basically, plan your routes with it, also plan alternatives in built up areas and keep alert!
You won’t have realised quite how many road signs there are til you start hgv driving!

rick parfitt:
Route planners and satnavs are no match for reading road signs! Basically, plan your routes with it, also plan alternatives in built up areas and keep alert!
You won’t have realised quite how many road signs there are til you start hgv driving!

Certainly noticed just how many weight restriction signs there are!! I intend to use a good map to plan routes and only really use a sat nav as a back up. Just really surprised that a so called hgv route planner was unable to plan a simple 4mile trip :open_mouth:

Moonpigdan:

rick parfitt:

Certainly noticed just how many weight restriction signs there are!! I intend to use a good map to plan routes and only really use a sat nav as a back up. Just really surprised that a so called hgv route planner was unable to plan a simple 4mile trip :open_mouth:

Signs and roads change over time, I wouldn’t rely on a planner to work out a route. I know my Satnav has a thing about sending me up places that I know I can’t get my 26 tonner down. There are times when you can go through a weight restriction if you have a drop on the other side of it and there is no other route to reach it. Nothing beats the combo of eyeballs Mrk1 and Common Sense V1.0 :stuck_out_tongue: