Hgv renewal at 45

I will be 45 in august 2019 but on my card it says it expires in 2024 when i will be 50

Do i need a medical at 45 or at 50 not received anything in the post yet

thetastytrucker:
I will be 45 in august 2019 but on my card it says it expires in 2024 when i will be 50

2024 it is if that is what is next to cat C on the licence

Check the expiry date next to the category on the back of the Licence thats when you require a medical if your over 45

Hi, there is no time limit for expiry of hgv licence, I waited 17 yrs before I renewed. Rang the dvla told them I wanted to go back driving lorries (I know) they said fine just get medical fill in forms and bobs your uncle. There were no problems at all getting it back. thebeardedone

Go on the dot gov website for dvla and you can order up copies of the driving license and medical forms to be sent out in the post to your home. Then repeat the same thing again so you get spare copies because you will screw up the form filling. But if you wait the forms dvla sent out when your medical is due it will be partially filled out with your details

ROG:

thetastytrucker:

2024 it is if that is what is next to cat C on the licence

Maybe the rules have changed in the intervening 10 years…

my class one is due to run out out on the 24th of july. according to dvla they send you the forms 56 days before this date.i have not received any as yet. i have looked on the dvla site and downloaded a d4 what other forms do you need ?.also are dvla to be trusted to send the forms to you ?.would it be quicker to go to my local dvla office in chester and get what i need over the counter?.dont want to leave it till the last minute.cheers.

use a name:
my class one is due to run out out on the 24th of july. according to dvla they send you the forms 56 days before this date.i have not received any as yet. i have looked on the dvla site and downloaded a d4 what other forms do you need ?.also are dvla to be trusted to send the forms to you ?.would it be quicker to go to my local dvla office in chester and get what i need over the counter?.dont want to leave it till the last minute.cheers.

Its not your licence that runs out Its just time for your medical depending when you took your test ■■?
You can down load the medical form have your medical and send it off that way
This is all you need
dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/d4.pdf
driversmedicals.com/_FAQs.html

Just5b for reading
dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf4d.pdf

nick2008:

use a name:

Its not your licence that runs out Its just time for your medical depending when you took your test ■■?
You can down load the medical form have your medical and send it off that way
This is all you need
dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/d4.pdf
driversmedicals.com/_FAQs.html

Just5b for reading
dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf4d.pdf

your lgv licence DOES run out!!at age 45 and every 5 years after…you have to renew your entitlement (which involves rthe medical)

copied and pasted from the last link…
LGV/PCV entitlement must be renewed at 45, and at 5 yearly intervals until 65. A completed medical examination report form D4 must accompany each renewal application.

I used to drive double manned and one night the tail lights blew out on the trailer, so I stuck the fogs on to get us to the yard. This attracted the attention of plod, and we got tugged for a chat. He went through the tachos and licences and all that jazz. Mine were all ok, but my co-drivers licence didn’t have C+E on it. He’s been driving class 1 for 15 years and looked a bit shocked.
Apparently, he had had his 45th birthday about a month before, and then shortly afterwards had moved house. He sent off his licence to change the address, and didn’t look at it when he got it back. Of course, not having taken a medical and renewed his C+E, they had removed the entitlement from his card.
Long and short was that I had to do all the driving that night, and he had to get his medical done and re-apply for his entitlement. Apparently, as long as you get passed fit with 6 months, you can get your entitlement back, but after that, you have to retake your test(s) !
I don’t think he got prosecuted (he wasn’t driving when we got tugged), but he got sacked :open_mouth: even though he had his proper licence back within 2 weeks.

DVLA & MEDICAL 01792 782 341

Ah I’m glad to have spotted this as mine runs out on the 26th July. (LOL I must be 2 days younger than you).

I’ve been trying to find out whether they contact me or I have to sort it…

DVLA usually send a reminder but there is always an oversight or two… or three… or… :wink: :laughing:

My next licence renewal is due on July 16th and I got the full package of paperwork through the post last Saturday.

smoker:
get passed fit with 6 months, you can get your entitlement back, but after that, you have to retake your test(s) !

Since when? Or is this more T/N ZB!!!

Smoker said;

Apparently, as long as you get passed fit with 6 months, you can get your entitlement back, but after that, you have to retake your test(s) !

There is a time limit to take the medical in, not sure what it is but it’s more than six months. My licence expired June 2006 and I renewed it April this year without problems

There is a time limit to take the medical in, not sure what it is but it’s more than six months. My licence expired June 2006 and I renewed it April this year without problems

It’s 5 years

Had a mate of mine who missed his 45 and 50 medical but got one at 52 or was it 53 - anyway he had no probs with it

Obviously he could not drive LGVs from age 45 to 52/3

Well that was perfect timing. A whole package of forms etc turned up this morning. Now all I have to do is go pay a doctor 6 million quid to sign it.

Lonewolf Yorks:
Well that was perfect timing. A whole package of forms etc turned up this morning. Now all I have to do is go pay a doctor 6 million quid to sign it.

check out the cheap medicals thread - some are as low as £30