HGV plating

Hi all,
Just considering buying an old tractor unit for use as a private HGV. Snag is I’ve been told it cannot be MOT’d because it does not have a ministry plate (the truck originated in N.Ireland). Just wondering what is needed to obtain a plate and how much it will cost.
Thanks,
Phil.

philt:
Hi all,
Just considering buying an old tractor unit for use as a private HGV. Snag is I’ve been told it cannot be MOT’d because it does not have a ministry plate (the truck originated in N.Ireland). Just wondering what is needed to obtain a plate and how much it will cost.
Thanks,
Phil.

IIRC,Wagons Pre 1960 don’t need to be M O Td, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the reply, sadly the truck I have in mind is a '99 so definitely needs an MOT.

If the vehicle still has it’s original number plates it should be a simple paper exercise, this link may help
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … m-vt59.pdf

Dave.

Dave,
Thanks for the reply - this form seems to cover replacement plates but no mention of first time issue of plates. My concern is that they may require documentation ie type approval etc which may be difficult (expensive) to obtain.

Haven’t done one for a while, but I think you’ll find you put it in for test using form VTG1 (first test application) and you’ll get issued with a plate at the time of the test.
Bernard