Hgv pay rates 2010

whats the lowest youve seen? i saw c+e for £6 a hour what do people think of todays wages will it get better?

There was one on this site a while ago - £5.80 per hour for an artic driver - I kid you not !!

Will the wages get better for LGV drivers ■■? - how long is a piece of string !!!

Supply and demand -
More drivers than jobs so wages will always be low and I cannot se that changing for a very long time.

Location for jobs and wages also has a big influence

thats bad i think mind you as ive said in my other post/whinge everything just seems be agency i keep sending my cv if i see a job and even go round asking have noticed c+e is nearly at ■■■■■■ van rate quite scary really :frowning:

on a job earning 22k at the moment and i am applying for a job earning 14k+ot driving c+e “WHY” i hear you ask . because i have no experience and i am hoping that i have a chance. plus looks lke an ok job tbh

al_P:
on a job earning 22k at the moment and i am applying for a job earning 14k+ot driving c+e “WHY” i hear you ask . because i have no experience and i am hoping that i have a chance. plus looks lke an ok job tbh

Wow! No disrespect mate, but are you mad? I have no idea of your personal circumstances, but regardless of the job you’re doing now, that’s one hell of a drop in wages by any standards!

If you can financially afford to take a C+E job with that poor starting salary of £14k for the sake of getting that all important experience, by all means go for it.

However, everything ROG says is correct. £14k is proof of this, as it’s a dreadful wage - and overtime is not guaranteed in any driving job these days, so don’t believe a word of it.

Also, most “Permanent” jobs these days in the haulage business are dictated by the contracts that the companies win or are “awarded”. Only the really well established large firms have any real leverage when it comes to holding on to these contracts, but even they suffer under the dog eat dog mentality of price undercutting that is constant in this recession. That mentality has been around for a long, long time, but it has never been more prevalent as it is now and is at the forefront in these hard times. No one in the industry is safe - especially drivers
In simple terms - the jobs are only there when the work is there. Indeed it’s the same for most professions now. After all, even the High Street Banks are cutting jobs.
The haulage industry relies on contracts. The size and length of these contracts dictates the amount of drivers employed, the wage they recieve, and length of time they’ll be in that job.

It’s for this reason that most companies recruit through the middle-man (agencies) these days. That way the companies can take on drivers when they need them and drop them when they dont. It’s a sad reflection of the industry as it stands now and that’s unlikely to change for at least a few years, if not a lot longer.

There has never been any sentimentality in our industry whether in good times or bad, but there was once a thing called loyalty. That’s all but gone as well now.

That said, the days of a “Permanent” job in our industry, lasting more than two to three years, seems to be thing of the past as well.

I’ve just noticed an agency ad on the Jobcentre site,“£65 per 10 hour shift”,do they honestly think people wont work out that it’s £6.50 per hour ? Another one,“Continental ADR Tanker Driver,due to nature of work will be required to be away from home”.When will we ever be credited with some intelligence ?

montgomerys (northern ireland ) £6.25 per hr they wanted you to do 50 hour shifts :open_mouth:

i know 14k is crap but i can scrape it as i live at home at the moment so no house to afford , i am planning on using this as gaining experience (if i get the job) as i cant stay in the job i am in and drivew part time as i am on 6 on 3 off 12 hr sshifts , and that means i am perminantly on my legal working hours avr 56hr week

al_P:
i am perminantly on my legal working hours avr 56hr week

If that is all driving & other work time then you are 8 hours a week over the average - the RT(WTD)R average is 48 hours WORK (driving+other work) per week

al_P:
i know 14k is crap but i can scrape it as i live at home at the moment so no house to afford , i am planning on using this as gaining experience (if i get the job) as i cant stay in the job i am in and drivew part time as i am on 6 on 3 off 12 hr sshifts , and that means i am perminantly on my legal working hours avr 56hr week

I agree with the op, i would take a class 1 job at that pay just to get the experience, which once you have got so many more doors will open up, i would just look at that job as a short term apprenticeship :smiley:, I just luckley have got a class 1 job with a good wage, but it was hard struggle to get.