HGV Operator Licence for Pickup/Trailer over 3.5t

Hi all,

Do any of you folks have experience with obtaining an operators licence purely for a pickup and trailer combo over 3.5t please? I strongly suspect that it’s not going to be worthwhile progressing on a financial basis but what I’d be interested to know is, considering some PSV licences are granted at residential addresses, is this something that anyone has managed for HGV operator licences please?

Thanks,

fnv

I’d say you’re right, it’s unlikely to be financially viable unless you could be your own TM. I’m an external TM and personally wouldn’t touch a situation like this, not least of all because a colleague of mine once did and it was nothing but hassle.

But, feel free to get opinions from other TMs, probably best to ask on TM FB groups as there aren’t a massive number of TMs on here who could advise, and here’s a link to info on operating centres. I would suggest that unless your residential neighbours are very good friends it’ll end up being a non-starter

gov.uk/government/publicati … or-service

Zac_A:
I’d say you’re right, it’s unlikely to be financially viable unless you could be your own TM. I’m an external TM and personally wouldn’t touch a situation like this, not least of all because a colleague of mine once did and it was nothing but hassle.

But, feel free to get opinions from other TMs, probably best to ask on TM FB groups as there aren’t a massive number of TMs on here who could advise, and here’s a link to info on operating centres. I would suggest that unless your residential neighbours are very good friends it’ll end up being a non-starter

gov.uk/government/publicati … or-service

Tidy thanks Zac, I thought as much, sometimes you just need someone to give you a second reality check! :smiley:

fnv:
Hi all,

Do any of you folks have experience with obtaining an operators licence purely for a pickup and trailer combo over 3.5t please? I strongly suspect that it’s not going to be worthwhile progressing on a financial basis but what I’d be interested to know is, considering some PSV licences are granted at residential addresses, is this something that anyone has managed for HGV operator licences please?

Thanks,

fnv

No reason why can’t be a reasonable residential address - it’s no different to a light goods veh licence. The operator may find it hassle to flip between the various in/out of scope activities

fnv:
Hi all,

Thanks,

fnv

In 2011 when the rules changed I sat the operator cpc and gain an operators licence from a previous residential address for this type of vehicle although they viewed the mot history for the previous 5 yrs and saw I was a good operator and I went to green very quick which is how I know what they did , although I had to confess to overloading offences incase they found out anyway ,i had been operating said vehicle type for 14 yrs and for 8 yrs from same address .

I got an O’Licence for a 3.5t van and trailer in 2015, i used my home address as the operating centre, never had a problem.I used my dads old CPC qualification as the transport manger until i took the exams a couple of years ago to become my own T/M.