HGV MOT

Hi all just a quick question what is the earliest date you can book an MOT to retain the original expiry date of certificate
many thanks

It’s written on every MOT cert:

“To preserve the anniversary of the expiry date, the earliest you can present your vehicle for test is…”

then it will show the first day of the month preceding the month the MOT expires. MOT. eg: 01.06.24 for a vehicle MOT’ed today (11.07.23) where the MOT expires 31.07.24

many thanks that’s what I thought but someone told me it was 93 days which seems to far in advance

Zac_A:
It’s written on every MOT cert:

“To preserve the anniversary of the expiry date, the earliest you can present your vehicle for test is…”

then it will show the first day of the month preceding the month the MOT expires. MOT. eg: 01.06.24 for a vehicle MOT’ed today (11.07.23) where the MOT expires 31.07.24

Never seen that before in my life!
Every mot cert that I have seen, it is simply one month in advance. If it’s different for HGV’s then that’s something I’ve learnt

TBH if I was going to answer just off the cuff I would have just said “one month prior to expiry”, but I’ve had a wagon MOT’ed today (MOT had expired at end of June) and what I wrote here is what is on today’s MOT, I was a little surprised myself.

Zac_A:
TBH if I was going to answer just off the cuff I would have just said “one month prior to expiry”, but I’ve had a wagon MOT’ed today (MOT had expired at end of June) and what I wrote here is what is on today’s MOT, I was a little surprised myself.

Maybe it’s a rule change, govt helping the cost of living crisis [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji106]

That is something they’ve spoken about before . I’m going to be analysing all my recent MOTs to see if others have a similar dates.

Chipping in late here. You can MOT the month before expiry if you wanted. Just make sure you supply the previous test cert and they’ll give you a 13 month ticket.

Jimhew:
Chipping in late here. You can MOT the month before expiry if you wanted. Just make sure you supply the previous test cert and they’ll give you a 13 month ticket.

Providing it passes.

On cars, they changed it that if it failed, your 28 days was then null and void, as the way they saw it, it gave you 28 days to have it repaired free, however, if it passes, that 28 days is then added on, making 13 months. Not sure if the same applies to hgv vehicles though.

Ken.

Quinny:

Jimhew:

Providing it passes.

On cars, they changed it that if it failed, your 28 days was then null and void, as the way they saw it, it gave you 28 days to have it repaired free, however, if it passes, that 28 days is then added on, making 13 months. Not sure if the same applies to hgv vehicles though.

Ken.

Only applies if mot fail lists dangerous faults and even then the mot is still valid. I’ve recently been through exactly this. Car failed on indicator repeater and there was a 3 week lead time to get one from Mercedes.

Jimhew:

Don’t need the previous MOT cert or the plating document. The testers have all the info they need on their phones. Just check the new certificate to make sure the expiry date is correct.

Quinny:

Jimhew:

Providing it passes.

Ken.

I am not sure it is null and void, but open to be persuaded.
If you transport / trailer the “dangerous” vehicle away, Can you not then fix the dangerous bit and still drive it until the old MOT expires ?

It’s weirdly written, but here is the government guidance that does not mention voiding anything :-

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:
your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.
If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.
You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ‘dangerous’ problem.

Maybe the actual rules are more specific ?

I had mine MOT early September, and it says…

Date of test - 8 Sept 2023
Expiry date - 30 Sept 2024
To observe the anniversary of the expiry date, the earliest you can present your vehicle for test is 1 August 2024.

Dave