HGV Medical.

Just been to book HGV medical & nearly fell over when I was told it would be £108 :open_mouth: :cry: . Does anybody know if we can claim it back some how, I did hear a few years ago that you can claim it of your tax if so how.
NO our firm will not pay. I think next time I need a HGV Medical I’m going to go where I take the car for its MOT at least thats dam cheaper.

Try a few Doctors Surgery’s, you’ll find there are lower prices than that. You can claim it off your tax, but must contact the local Tax office for a claim form, you dont get Cash, just a reduction on your tax code for it, you MUST have a reciept though.

Booked mine yesterday - will cost £63.50 which I thought was extortionate, but seeing the price of yours has eased the pain somewhat. Obviously no consistency regarding prices though. I asked the TM what the company policy was regarding reimbursment and was told that he would find out and let me know. Sounds like I should not hold my breath.

Colin. Try telephoning your health trust and asking who does h.g.vs on a saturday morning, often a doctor will see a driver on a saturday when he is doing other bits and bobs in his surgery. Otherwise do as Davy said ring around, you can go to another area, remember you are going as a private patient & as long as you are not going to defraud D.V.L.A with your health problems etc, all should be o.k

The topic of medical costs has been discussed several times before and after searching around I came up with the following web page that might help those in the South East. (I paid £22 for mine in Hastings!)

kentmetroltd.co.uk/medicals.htm

Hope it helps someone…

Martin

Thank’s for all your replies I will ring round & see what I can come up with. I did ring the Vet & he said £1.50 :laughing:

I paid £50 in Nuneaton earlier this year. May be worth trying a LGV driving school as some of these may know a good value doctor. £108 sounds extortionate so make sure you shop around.

My previous one was free :smiley: :smiley:

Calv

i copied this for you from the wheels magazine of urtu, from when i used to be a member.

If you do have to pay for your medical renewal, remember that you can reclaim the cost against your tax bill. If your tax office rejects the claim then quote the following:
“Section 201(2) Income & Corporation Taxes Act 1977”
There are also instructions contained at SE.7630, which your local tax office should refer to.
There is a specific instruction that reads, “where an employed lorry driver meets renewal costs of a LGV licence and any related medical expenses costs, treat these costs as deductible.”
The instructions to tax officials are therefore quite clear. Don’t take no for an answer and go and get your money back.

i hope it helps

Thanks Johnny its makes me feel a bit happier. I will look into this & let you know.

If I was to use my own GP I would have to pay the cost and then claim tax relief on that cost. If I use the company doctor they pick up the tab. The downside is the company doctor knows nothing about my history unless I tell him (he worked through the medical form and never asked for my permission to see my medical records). I never had a blood or urine test so my answers regarding any medical conditions that would affect my fitness to drive, like diabetes, had to based on trust.