HGV Medical question

Question regarding not renweing your medical.

If you didn’t re-new your medical at 45 does that remove your HGV license totally meaning a re test to regain it, or is it just a case of completing the medical to get it back?

To put some context on it, I work for a company where driving is a very small part of my job, as in I may not drive one for several weeks or some weeks everyday. They’ve just employed extra staff to do the job but without HGV licenses thus adding extra work onto the ones who have. I can still do my main job that I’m employed for with or without the license. Not saying that I won’t do the medical when it comes up next year, but just looking at my options as drivers do 2/3hrs extra for the same pay as the non drivers (paid per shift not per hour)

HGV entitlement is still valid, you just need to do the medical and apply for renewal as and when you want.
Someone else will be along soon to confirm or deny the statement!

You just need to do the medical, no retest needed.

If you let the medical lapse at age 45 you can get back all entitlements that the medical covered at age 100 without the need to pass any other sort of test just the D4 medical

CAVEAT = as long as you are listed on the DVLA database as having passed the relevant tests after 1981 (I think) because before that year there were only paper records which were not put onto the computer database

Thanks for that everyone

And Rog I may look it but I’m not that old !!!

Henrys cat:

If you didn’t re-new your medical at 45 does that remove your HGV license totally meaning a re test to regain it, or is it just a case of completing the medical to get it back?

To put some context on it, I work for a company where driving is a very small part of my job, as in I may not drive one for several weeks or some weeks everyday. They’ve just employed extra staff to do the job but without HGV licenses thus adding extra work onto the ones who have. I can still do my main job that I’m employed for with or without the license. Not saying that I won’t do the medical when it comes up next year, but just looking at my options as drivers do 2/3hrs extra for the same pay as the non drivers (paid per shift not per hour)

Renew your medical or renew your Licence which ■■
I stand corrected if the rules have changed,you only need a medical to renew your Licence AFTER the age of 45
If your Licence is valid ie til your 48 then you don`t need a medical until then.

lolipop:

Henrys cat:

I stand corrected if the rules have changed,you only need a medical to renew your Licence AFTER the age of 45
If your Licence is valid ie til your 48 then you don`t need a medical until then.

That is still the case, my medical expired at 47 and DVLA revoked it later, it would need another medical and possibly a DVLA examination but my licence is still valid provided I pass that and win the Euromillions to pay for the CPC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lolipop:

Henrys cat:

Its to renew my medical at 45. Just wondered if not renewing it voided it completely i.e requiring another theory and practical or just requiring the medical re doing.

peterboroughmatt:
You just need to do the medical, no retest needed.

Correct!

Slightly off topic but along the same lines.
My HGV expired last year and as suggested I just need the 45 year old medical to get it back.

But,

Whats the deal with dcpc? I was understanding I may have aquired rights as I dont have a dcpc.
Digi tachos. How would I get one?

To get a DCPC you need to have training ( cost a few quid though )…some of us had it through our companies, and it lasts for 5 years. You cannot technically drive a hgv without one, dont know where you have been for the past few years, but i would have thought every truck driver would have heard of it…get it done sharpish, in case Vosa give you a tug and asks to see it.

Without a valid current driver cpc card (DQC) you cannot legally drive a LGV commercially

If you have a pre 1997 car licence or had any LGV category on your licence in Sept 2009 then you have dcpc acquired/grandfather rights
If you have those rights and have never been issued a DQC then you have the choice of either doing the driver cpc mod 2 theory and mod 4 practical TESTS or doing the the 35 hours of ATTENDANCE training to get your first 5 year DQC

If you do not have those rights then you must do the two tests

Thanks ROG.
I have had a car licence since 1986 and class 1 since 1990 so should be good to go.

I have been living overseas for the last 15 years but it’s good to know I could re-enter the industry if circumstances changed.

If you don’t have a DCPC card you will have to fund one yourself, Google it for prices and locations near you. I let my licences go at 60 (PCV C+E) 18 months later I realised that was a foolish move did the medical, filled out the forms Licences arrived in the week together with new DCPC card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk