HGV medical for older drivers

It being a given that many of us are now going to have to work past age 65 whether we like it or not, I suggest it’s high time that the government extended the cut-off period for yearly medicals. Seems wrong to me that if we’re supposed to be healthy enough to work till age 70 and qualify for state pension, we should pay a premium in the form of extra medicals for the last five years of our working lives; especially now that the bar has been raised in many ways regarding actually passing the examination in the first place.

With that in mind, I’ve sent the following to my MP:

Good morning Simon

As we both know, state pension entitlement age is gradually being increased to compensate for a longer-lived and generally healthier society. I personally don’t have too much of an issue with this, a blind man could have seen it coming; unfortunately it’s exposed an anomaly in the current regulations for vocational driving licence holders which unintentionally discriminates unfairly against those who are effectively in the twilight of their careers.

As the law currently stands, such drivers are required to undergo regular medical examinations from age 45, in five yearly intervals until age 65 when the requirement becomes yearly. The actual criteria for passing, especially in regard to eyesight, have recently been tightened and I have no issues with that either. However, this has had the effect of increasing the charges made by both opticians and GP’s which has in a way exacerbated the problem. I should add, these medical examinations are paid for privately and are not available under the NHS.

After age 65 (or, in practice, after the expiry of the medical closest to that date) the requirement is upped to a yearly examination. In the case of many drivers, this is an expense which is either wholly or partly borne out of their own pockets and could therefore justifiably be described as a tax on employment. It cannot, surely, be right to have a situation where a worker is denied the right to a state pension by virtue of the day he was born on, yet at the same time be charged extra to do the job he or she has been doing for many years. At a time when there are major issues in the both the recruitment and retention of vocational drivers, particularly more experienced ones who are most affected by the current legislation, I would suggest that a relatively minor change in existing law, to bring medical examination requirements in line with actual retirement age or even simply increasing the cut-off to age 70 (which would make it much easier to administer) would prove to be of great benefit to both the workers and to their employers.

I would also like to see a cap on the fees charged by GP’s and opticians for these examinations; at the moment it is a licence for them to print money as a half-hour consultation can in some areas cost well over £100. That however is a separate issue and I do concede that imposing such a cap could easily bring up issues with avalability.

I would be most grateful if my observations could be passed on to the relevant Government departments for consideration.

I sent a similar letter to my MP about 2 years ago

I included the fact that the pre 1997 LGV C1 medical is not needed until age 70

ROG:
I sent a similar letter to my MP about 2 years ago

I included the fact that the pre 1997 LGV C1 medical is not needed until age 70

Good point Rog, I’d overlooked that.

Now that’s a good idea,
Maybe make the letter available. as a download, change the name and ALL send it to our local mp.
Just a thought.

biggriffin:
Now that’s a good idea,
Maybe make the letter available. as a download, change the name and ALL send it to our local mp.
Just a thought.

If admin wishes to do that they have my full permission to do so.

Copied and sent to my own MP

peirre:
Copied and sent to my own MP

Just done the same+1.

I’d suggest that if anyone copies the email and sends it to their MP, apparently it’s parliamentary policy that you include your address in the email to confirm that you are a constituent of said MP, and possibly a contact phone number, as received this reply

There is a strict Parliamentary protocol which states that enquiries should be directed to an individual’s own MP. I would be grateful if you could provide your full address so that I might verify that you are a constituent. A contact telephone number would also be useful.

Well I have to say I disagree. When I get to 65, which won’t be long now, I’ll be quite happy to have a yearly medical if only to put my own mind at rest.

I am not convinced that this is a good idea. Some people would say that HGV drivers should have an annual medical from the first year after they pass their test. I wouldn’t go that far but the present rules don’t seem all that onerous to me.

The chances of parliament reducing the requirements are small to vanishing.

Santa:
I am not convinced that this is a good idea. Some people would say that HGV drivers should have an annual medical from the first year after they pass their test. I wouldn’t go that far but the present rules don’t seem all that onerous to me.

I have renewed my licence on a yearly basis since 2012, I don’t really mind that as it gives me peace of mind about my health. I do have one bone of contention, apart from the yearly fee :wink: :wink: When you send your licence away early, you lose whatever time is left on the licence, your renewal date next year is from the date of issue. I have now lost two months on a yearly licence. Regards Kev.

wing-nut:
Well I have to say I disagree. When I get to 65, which won’t be long now, I’ll be quite happy to have a yearly medical if only to put my own mind at rest.

You can…with your own GP on request.
Many run the ‘Wellman’ clinic for middle aged guys, and beyond.
Difference is you don’t have to pay up to a 100 notes for it, unlike the HGV one. :bulb:

robroy:

wing-nut:

You can…with your own GP on request.
Many run the ‘Wellman’ clinic for middle aged guys, and beyond.
Difference is you don’t have to pay up to a 100 notes for it, unlike the HGV one. :bulb:

You beat me to it :smiley:

kevmac47:

Santa:

I have renewed my licence on a yearly basis since 2012, I don’t really mind that as it gives me peace of mind about my health. I do have one bone of contention, apart from the yearly fee :wink: :wink: When you send your licence away early, you lose whatever time is left on the licence, your renewal date next year is from the date of issue. I have now lost two months on a yearly licence. Regards Kev.

My licence expires on Boxing Day and when I renewed it during November 2017 I got the new one running from 1 December until 26 December 2018, so I would query it with DVLA. When I renewed it in March 2012 it expired on Boxing Day 2016 which was the day before my 66th birthday.

I would also add to that letter, the costs of the dreaded DCPC which can run into hundreds to renew, maybe a tax allowance on that should be born in mind, or an increase in the pension. :smiley: As for the duration of the licence, it is for me always dated on the day of issue…this year, is taking longer than normal and its been with DVLA since december, and if i receive it soon, will be dated until April 2019…a problem that does occur is the fact, that as an international driver, we have to cease work as travelling into europe with an out of date licence is frowned upon, whereas in the uk, its fine so long as you have a letter from DVLA stating they have your licence, and can drive so long as a medical condition forbids otherwise. A family man who relies on his licence to earn a living, can be out of pocket by a considerable sum.

truckyboy:
I would also add to that letter, the costs of the dreaded DCPC which can run into hundreds to renew, maybe a tax allowance on that should be born in mind, or an increase in the pension. :smiley: As for the duration of the licence, it is for me always dated on the day of issue…this year, is taking longer than normal and its been with DVLA since december, and if i receive it soon, will be dated until April 2019…a problem that does occur is the fact, that as an international driver, we have to cease work as travelling into europe with an out of date licence is frowned upon, whereas in the uk, its fine so long as you have a letter from DVLA stating they have your licence, and can drive so long as a medical condition forbids otherwise. A family man who relies on his licence to earn a living, can be out of pocket by a considerable sum.

Since I moved to South Wales I have received a much better service from DVLA. Medical on 23 November 2017 licence issued 1 December 2017. Previous one was sent to DVLA on Wednesday second class and new licence received five days later.

I’ve received a response from my MP’s office

Thanks for this Mr Peirre

Your MP has written to the Secretary of State for Transport in the first instance although this may be referred on to either the Department for Health or DWP (or both.)

It may take a few weeks to get a response but we will be back in touch once we have it.

Kind regards

Well, I’ve just had a reply from my local MP,

Below is the his reply.

Thank you for your email.

You raise some valid points and I have therefore written to Ministers at the Department for Transport. I will write to you again as soon as I receive a written response from the Minister.

Yours sincerely
Jonathan Djanogly

Received a letter from DVLA this morning, reminding me my Digi driving card expires in July…so theres another £19 to be added to the Medical £120…the DCPC @ £35 per day ( x 7 ) and all borne by us…no other industry do they have to pay to work ( i dont think ) anyway the letter said…i could pay over the phone, so phoned them up, and because theres a licence application ongoing ( they havnt received my notes from the hospital test ) i cannot renew over the phone…i wnder why…anyway cheques in the post along with the signed application…only had it since december, ha ha

truckyboy:
Received a letter from DVLA this morning, reminding me my Digi driving card expires in July…so theres another £19 to be added to the Medical £120…the DCPC @ £35 per day ( x 7 ) and all borne by us…no other industry do they have to pay to work ( i dont think ).

There is nothing in the legislation that requires “us” (i.e. the drivers) to pay for the medicals, DCPC training/card or the digital tachograph card. FYI I’ve not paid for any of them in the 12 years I’ve been employed (important word, that) to drive lorries.