HGV License

How long to turn round a HGV application at DVLA

They are currently processing 28th June applications! No that is not a typo. :slight_smile:

gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … pplication

Scroll down to the vocational licence bit. I sent mine early August and end of last week got a text to say they opened it so took 2 weeks just to do that. But not expecting it back at current rate before Christmas. Moves roughly 2 days per 2 weeks.

Just remember you can usually drive under section 88 if its just a renewal not a new application. You will need to send the applicantion etc to DVLA by special delivery, then carry photocopies of all pages from:

• Licence renewal form
  • D4 form after medical passed (if applicable)
  • Receipt of posting
  • Printout of receipt of delivery from royal mail

Keep those with you as proof they got it as your temp licence when yours runs out else you can’t really drive and work will usually need copies too.

Edit: Found the other thread about this. Forgot also that if on agency the section 88 can be an issue.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169654

I am…

100% not a solicitor but, surely this is getting to/gone beyond the point whereby people can claim loss of earnings etc from the government because of this DVLA fiasco?

I got told when enquiring about being out of pocket “If your income falls, apply for Universal Credit whilst you are unlicenced/unfurloughed/unable/too ill to work”.

You only get free stuff for actual free - when you’re a foreigner, ex-con, or member of the London Public - not when you’ve paid in for years, and are actually entitled to by fact you’ve paid in.

I’ve got agencies meanwhile that are offering shunting shifts, should my licence not come back in time.
I hope by the end of next month - I’ll not be that desperate to have to take them up on it!

Hi chaps, you may be interested to know I posted my renewal D2 application with D4 medical on 16th August and license arrived this morning, 2 and 1/2 weeks - pretty impressive.
I’ve no idea why it was so quick, I was expecting to have to wait about 3 months.

Mine was a lapsed license renewal, although I had to have a medical there were no complications.

yourhavingalarf:
I am…

100% not a solicitor but, surely this is getting to/gone beyond the point whereby people can claim loss of earnings etc from the government because of this DVLA fiasco?

I thoight this too.I wanted to apply to royal mail,but because id been kept on section88 for 9 months,I couldnt apply.I demanded compensation and the dvla asked me for proof that I had been rejected .
I couldnt provide proof because I hadnt actually applied for the job.There wouldnt be much point aplying if all you had was stupid section 88.The application would have been binned