HGV license and depression

Evening all, I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression in January and haven’t worked since then. I now feel ready to return and have for a number of weeks. My gp is happy for me to return to driving but i now have to wait on dvla. I was just wondering if anyone here has been in this situation and if so, what happened with the dvla and how did you find returning to work?

thanks

Not being funny so please dont take it that way but why did you tell dvla anything? Also, your doctor doesnt need to know what you do for a living. For such a short period and im guessing a short course of medication no one need know and it should be for you to decide when you feel fit to work not some desk jockey at some govt body…

Has your licence been revoked by DVLA? If it has then it could been some time before the idiots at DVLA return it to you unfortunately. My experience with doctors and DVLA leads me to the sound conclusion that it’s in your very best interests to tell them nothing that they do not need to know, and also to be very careful what you decide they need to know.

AndrewG:
Not being funny so please dont take it that way but why did you tell dvla anything? Also, your doctor doesnt need to know what you do for a living. For such a short period and im guessing a short course of medication no one need know and it should be for you to decide when you feel fit to work not some desk jockey at some govt body…

I have had some issues with stress and depression across the last couple of years. Admittedly mine was related to work but one of the first things each doctor/nurse asked was what I do for a living.

I suspect there’s many a driver who suffers stress, anxiety and depression, and is probably ready to throw themselves off the top step because they’re running themselves ragged,trying to please their boss, & then trying to get home by Friday night.

Remind you of anyone?

AndrewG:

Hi Andrew, my gp reckons I have had this for quite a while and work asked me to contact delay before they will allow me to drive. That’s why I told dvla

Hi Pete (Brother Viking [emoji6])
I nearly fell into depression after loosing a decent job at Biffa-6 years ago, suspended for 3 weeks, then Sacked (should have told 'em to Poke It [emoji57])
I never went to the Quacks & the day after they let me go, I was on for an agency, slowly getting over it all.

I’m back to my normal Silly Self now, due to retire sometime in the next 3 & a half years (if not before).

What I’m trying to say is-
‘Time’ will hopefully get your Licence & Health back, just be patient with the authorities, keep sending requests once a week, maybe it’ll nudge them a bit.

Can you ask to work in the yard or office for the time being ? maybe that’ll help while you are waiting ?

Good Luck & I hope it all works out for you.

martinviking:
Hi Pete (Brother Viking [emoji6])
I nearly fell into depression after loosing a decent job at Biffa-6 years ago, suspended for 3 weeks, then Sacked (should have told 'em to Poke It [emoji57])
I never went to the Quacks & the day after they let me go, I was on for an agency, slowly getting over it all.

I’m back to my normal Silly Self now, due to retire sometime in the next 3 & a half years (if not before).

What I’m trying to say is-
‘Time’ will hopefully get your Licence & Health back, just be patient with the authorities, keep sending requests once a week, maybe it’ll nudge them a bit.

Can you ask to work in the yard or office for the time being ? maybe that’ll help while you are waiting ?

Good Luck & I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers bro. :smiley:

I suffer too with anxiety etc and had a long chat with my GP about it at her instigation. It seems that the Glasgow Bin Lorry Prat has really made Docs twitchy and new guidelines or something has emerged because of this case and now anxiety/depression is a notifiable complaint BUT only if the driver takes heavy duty drugs or is suicidal. This also could be because of a certain German airline pilot. I have had this condition for many years and occasionally take meds to help - the medicos decided that the amount I took wasn’t worth consideration, in fact they thought it had more of a placibo effect but they have never been interested before.

Anyway the DVLA was kept well out of it. I impressed upon my Doc that if I was in any doubt about my driving standards I would quit right away because I wouldn’t want to cause possible harm to others if you get my drift and she was happy for me to crack on. The way she looked at it was I’ve never been a danger for years and putting me out of work most certainly won’t do me any good at all.

Funny thing is though, is that she thought that it was my responsibility to tell the authorities, too.

I think there is something downloadable from the DVLA about this.

kcrussell25:

AndrewG:

I have had some issues with stress and depression across the last couple of years. Admittedly mine was related to work but one of the first things each doctor/nurse asked was what I do for a living.

I was in the same position and said shop fitter.
Also if anyone goes the docs with a drink/drug problem the doctor is supposed to automatically inform DVLA.

I ha had deppresion anxiety for ten yrs informed DVL.a at medicals+2 doc told them anxiety under control thru meds also had throat cancer 3 yrs ago still trucking your doc will smooth it over chill out

Just the thought of driving a truck is enough to give me anxiety and depression. I mean, how cheerful are you supposed to be about working 15 hour days and having a dump in a carrier bag?

I’m with Harry. Acquiring a HGV licence is a sure-fire way to set yourself on the road to depression.

my votes with harry why anyone with half a brain would enter into this career is beyond me .been back in uk since dec 2016 and after 33yrs at it im done. traffic overload everywhere office bods telling grown men oh a nine tonight m8 treated like c…p most places tesco/sains/asda/aldi/ no driver facikities in services worth a t.ss .and the b…ox 2 u m8 attitude of most drivers .no fun in job anymore f…k me im depressed lol :smiley:

Hello. Just wanted to update this topic. After informing dvla. I was able to keep my license and return to work, which I have done. I feel much better now and am actually enjoying work again. I would strongly urge anyone who is feeling low for a long period of time to seek help. I was at a low point for to long but with help from my gp and my family, I feel much better. This job can get on top of you and and as I found sometimes we need help.

Socketset:
. This also could be because of a certain German airline pilot. .

Outside of the obvious to the families, in a wider context that had ramifications for a lot of people. It’s made it very difficult for anyone to discuss the “D” word in certain fields. Funnily the firms are all falling over themselves now offering “support services” from the backs of the regulators.

The voices of professionals said at the time that suicidle depression doesn’t at all manifest in murder. Didn’t matter, the likes of Jeremy vine jumped on it. If you ask me, that “individual” (trying to be restrained) suffered something else other than the d word.