Hgv licence usa

Watching a you tube video earlier about truck driver shortages in the usa,i thought newby’s had it bad here trying to get their hgv’s but from what i heard it’s a lot harder out there costwise,it said the cost of getting the usa equivalent of your class1 is £6000,can’t work it out in dollars (maybe £4000 to £4500)but still a lot more than here,how can young wannabe truckers in the states afford that,it’s crazy,also it said a lot of drivers dont want to do weeks on the road,but we have all seen their cabs,the space is far superior to our wagons in the uk

Go to USA on visa to work on harvest work, or go on tourist visa, find a girl, marry her
For Green Card permanent resident.
But the authorities are clamping on fake marriages.
I lived in USA on student visa and many ladswent there and did not come back to the UK.
There is combine harvest teams , you see all of America working 17 hours a day for minimum wage with free accommodation and food.
A lot of truck driving jobs are Canadian firms that go to the USA all the time.
Truck llicense is extensive exams in brake pressure

I wouldnt want to spend weeks in a caravan and thats far bigger then any cab. :grimacing:

In the UK we’re used to the roads from years of bikes, walking, moped and motorbikes etc, and there is a pretty comprehensive test to get a car licence that takes a while, needs study and isn’t cheap.
In North America a car licence is basically applying for it and a simple round the block test plus a few questions. 999 times out of a thousand its an auto you drive with one hand while the the other on the phone. There is no real concept of pride in your ride, and none at all of ones driving ability.
When these people try to learn to drive a truck they have no idea or concept how roads/ gears / vehicles work.
The products of their truck driving schools are by Euro standards quite unbelievable, you would seriously not believe they could be permitted! Once they pass the company they go to work for usually sends them out with a “trainer” for
a few weeks often a driver with only 3 months experience himself!
However, as soon as they get into their truck they are abused from day 1, kept away from home for 3 or 4 months and paid subsistence rates. 90% have gone by the end of 6 months apparently and obviously their place is taken by the next wave and consequently the standard never improves.
Personally I love working out here, its still an adventure 8 years on and the type of work I do is great fun. I like the people and the lifestyle a lot but make no mistake, almost to a man North Americans are terrible drivers.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk