HGV Licence Medical Renewal

Apologies for asking what may appear to be a basic question.

How far in advance can you take a medical renewal test, without losing any period the licence would be valid for?

For example, with a passport, I believe you can renew it a year in advance, and still get 10 years starting from the EXPIRY date, not the RENEWAL date

Can’t help, but I’d be interested to know as mine is due in June.

Cue :::: ROG

pierrot 14:

The licence runs from the date that DVLA issue it not the date that the current one expires

ROG:

pierrot 14:

The licence runs from the date that DVLA issue it not the date that the current one expires

So a renewal due at your 45th birthday won’t last until your 50th birthday?

Based on you needing to take the medical before the date of your 45th birthday to allow it to be processed in time?

the maoster:
Can’t help, but I’d be interested to know as mine is due in June.

Also …
Mine due in July
Jim

you can take the medical a maximum of four months in advance of the renewal.

I took mine beginning ago for my renewal in June. DVLA send out the renewal notice 56 days in advance.

Did my medical back in 2015.
Licence expiry date was 23 sept so did my medical early to get it out the way as I knew I was going have an operation 24 sept.
My thinking was that my new licence would start on the 24 sept and last until my 50th.
I was wrong. The new licence starts from the day they process your forms which in my case way 11 aug. So I lost 43 days on my old licence by doing it early. But you’ve also got to remember that they can take upto 21 days to process your forms, so waiting until the last minute may not pay off as someone on here the other day mentioned that he now can’t drive until his licence has turned up and in his hand.
So in my opinion, it would be best for you to plan an early medical and lose the days left on your current licence rather than lose wages because you can’t drive until your new 1 turns up.
Hope this helps.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

madmackem:
you can take the medical a maximum of four months in advance of the renewal.

I took mine beginning ago for my renewal in June. DVLA send out the renewal notice 56 days in advance.

Best to get it done with some time left just in case they discover some issues which need addressed e.g. Blood pressure a bit high which can be sorted with tablets