HGV jobs with DR10

Hello all.

I am 26, who has recently applied for a HGV license. However down to my own idiotic decision received a DR10 around a year ago. I got disqualified for 12 months and handed a fine and done the rehabilitation course. I was enquiring about whether it would be impossible for me to gain any sort of HGV job or should I just not send my application off. I currently work for a haulage firm and was wondering if it would be easy for them to hire me with my conviction, or would I best wait the 5 years until i do no longer have to give information with regards to my DR10. Thanks for your time…

Dave

I’ve worked alongside drivers who have a DR10, generally at shall we say, “less than blue-chip” firms although combining that with being a new start might make for an uphill struggle.

Your question re driving a truck for your current employer is best addressed to them. I suppose that might depend on how highly they rated you in your present job.

Although it’s true that you don’t have to declare DR10 after five years, the reality is that I believe potential employers will be able to access your driving licence information including endorsements for as long as they are extant through the wonders of the internet.

Good luck.

I thought DR10 was current for 10 years and on licence for 11. but I am now an old git so things have probably :smiley: changed

SWEDISH BLUE:
I thought DR10 was current for 10 years and on licence for 11. but I am now an old git so things have probably :smiley: changed

It is, but when obtaining car insurance, say, you are only asked about accidents, claims and convictions within the last five years so you wouldn’t have to declare a six-year-old DR10. Possibly an employer wouldn’t have to either but they might have a blanket policy of not employing anyone with DR10 on their licence.

Dave15:
Hello all.

I am 26, who has recently applied for a HGV license. However down to my own idiotic decision received a DR10 around a year ago. I got disqualified for 12 months and handed a fine and done the rehabilitation course. I was enquiring about whether it would be impossible for me to gain any sort of HGV job or should I just not send my application off. I currently work for a haulage firm and was wondering if it would be easy for them to hire me with my conviction, or would I best wait the 5 years until i do no longer have to give information with regards to my DR10. Thanks for your time…

Dave

IMHO, it’ll be mostly down to the insurance cover
Be honest, upfront and keep trying

It’s on your licence for 11 years.

You don’t have to declare it after five years under the rehabilitation of offenders act.

Anything that requires a DBS you’ll be urinating against the wind.

I’m not even convinced you’ll be granted a provisional without being invited to a traffic commissioner to explain why you deserve it.

toonsy:

You don’t have to declare it after five years under the rehabilitation of offenders act.

I’m not even convinced you’ll be granted a provisional without being invited to a traffic commissioner to explain why you deserve it.

How would that come about if I did go ahead with the application? Would they get in contact and would I have to prove why something like that wouldn’t happen again?

Dave15:

toonsy:

How would that come about if I did go ahead with the application? Would they get in contact and would I have to prove why something like that wouldn’t happen again?

I’m not sure mate, I do know they’re much hotter on it than they used to be though.

moneybeach.co.uk/the-boardw … onviction/

Spent or not it’s going to show on a licence for 11 years, Operators are obliged to conduct licence checks, failing to tell them in advance won’t do anything except make you look untrustworthy, even when it’s spent, and as Harry indicates, only those at the lower end of the industry are likely to consider a driver with this showing, even after five years.

The TC will also most definitely have input as to whether or not you’d be granted your provisional entitlement. Have a look at the case studies in this document
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … on_8.0.pdf

Zac_A:
Is a DR10 a criminal conviction?

Spent or not it’s going to show on a licence for 11 years, Operators are obliged to conduct licence checks, failing to tell them in advance won’t do anything except make you look untrustworthy, even when it’s spent, and as Harry indicates, only those at the lower end of the industry are likely to consider a driver with this showing, even after five years.

The TC will also most definitely have input as to whether or not you’d be granted your provisional entitlement. Have a look at the case studies in this document
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … on_8.0.pdf

Might be best to consider another career for the foreseeable and come back when it would be completely off my record. Thanks for the documents

toonsy:

Dave15:

toonsy:

I’m not sure mate, I do know they’re much hotter on it than they used to be though.

Thanks for the reply… I’ve seen jobs advertised online, where it says “qualifications- Class C+ E” but doesn’t mention anything about points or convictions or would that just be an obvious conclusion that they wouldn’t hire people with convictions

Dave15:

You’d be invited to an interview with the regional Traffic Commissioner (going for tea and biscuits we call it) and you’d have to stand on the carpet and say how sorry you are and that you’ve learnt your lesson and you’d never do it again and generally do some heavy-duty bum-licking etc.

Ive known 2 companies take back an established driver who lost a licence to DD. To take on a new guy with a DD is another step further. Not impossible, but Id say find a possible start before getting your hopes high.
If you`ve been with present company a while try talking to them before committing to training.

Franglais:
Ive known 2 companies take back an established driver who lost a licence to DD. To take on a new guy with a DD is another step further. Not impossible, but Id say find a possible start before getting your hopes high.
If you`ve been with present company a while try talking to them before committing to training.

I’ve spoken to a driver in my current employment and he said it would be around 3/4 years till they’d hire anyway from the outside but don’t know what that would mean for employees…

The fact that a conviction is “spent” and can therefore be disregarded for most purposes, doesn’t mean that the accompanying endorsement on the driving licence can also be ignored.

Dave15:
Hello all.
I’ve spoken to a driver in my current employment and he said it would be around 3/4 years till they’d hire anyway from the outside but don’t know what that would mean for employees…

P45 in any company I’ve ever worked at. It’s pretty much accepted by all HGV drivers that if you get a DD conviction you can kiss your job goodbye and any thoughts of doing it again for a good 3/4 years at the least.

Hell even once you’ve got 6 points on your licence you’re pushing it and one of my mates lost his job when he got another 3 taking him to 9 because his employers insurers wouldn’t insure anyone over 6 points, or at least that was the reason given. The agency I work for won’t take anyone with more than 6 points either and many job adverts will specify 6 points max.

Conor:

Dave15:
Hello all.

P45 in any company I’ve ever worked at. It’s pretty much accepted by all HGV drivers that if you get a DD conviction you can kiss your job goodbye and any thoughts of doing it again for a good 3/4 years at the least.

Hell even once you’ve got 6 points on your licence you’re pushing it and one of my mates lost his job when he got another 3 taking him to 9 because his employers insurers wouldn’t insure anyone over 6 points, or at least that was the reason given. The agency I work for won’t take anyone with more than 6 points either and many job adverts will specify 6 points max.

I’ve seen an advert for a C+E license but says nothing about points or conviction. Am abit confused to what that actually means. Would it just be a case of common sense that they wouldn’t hire anyone with those on their record. Thanks for the reply

Dave15:

Conor:

Dave15:
Hello all.

I’ve seen an advert for a C+E license but says nothing about points or conviction. Am abit confused to what that actually means. Would it just be a case of common sense that they wouldn’t hire anyone with those on their record. Thanks for the reply

Pretty much, but tests not to say its a complete no go. End if the day doing a stupid thing once doesn’t make anyone a stupid person - we’ve al done daft things before myself included.

But yeah its a tricky one and you may have to do things differently if you’re to get on anywhere. You can probably rule out the “better” jobs for a while but you may stand a chance at a small family firm and you may have to turn up and talk to impress rather than relying on just applying online or via a phone call etc.

No first hand knowledge of this, but would a driving school even accept you with a DR10?

LazyDriver:
No first hand knowledge of this, but would a driving school even accept you with a DR10?

I actually haven’t looked into that yet, but it is something am gonna have to consider now.