Hgv instructor

Is anyone on here a hgv instructor? Or ever been one?

I’ve potentially been offered the chance to be obe. As much as I’ve no experience in this they are willing to put me through relevant test/ registration as well as (I think) put me through ADR / hiab/ PCV. All maybe sounds a bit too good to be true but they seem pretty genuine.

Just wondering what others thoughts are if it’s a career path you’ve chosen or would like to do. Some strange reason I’ve always kind of fancied doing it since passing.

I’m not one, I’m fairly new anyway, but like you it’s something I’ve got my eye on doing one day once I’ve got experience under my belt.

Are they really offering you all that? Seems to good to be true like you say. Maybe they will have you tied into a long contract with a clause saying you have to pay it back if you leave within a certain time.

I’d say though check out what the score is and if it’s something your still interested in then go for it. Anywhere that offers to train you in something these days is a good opportunity not to be sniffed at. Nothing has to be forever if you don’t like it.

My first thought was tying me to a contract but they say not. All he said is we don’t people down as we know we’re the best around and my instructors length of service here tells all you need to know.

I currently work full time in a job I’m not willing to Jack unless it’s the right job so they’ve said for me to get a feel of it to come in around my current job and shadow a couple of their instructors

Isnt it the other Way around?
You apply for a Job as,whatever Instructor and show all the Certificates you have.
But ok,if your Company likes to grow they can organice your Training,but how old are You? Because that were expensive and you perhaps retireing in a few Year woulnt pay it back for them.

You don’t need to be fully qualified to be an instructor theoretically. Aslong as you’ve held your licence for 3 years you can do it. But some companies do it properly with registration and qualifications etc. They are one of them. I’m 31.

31 is a good Age for it. dont know that company,nor your job,but i would go for it then.

Go for it, best if your dsa registered though :sunglasses:

I was one between 2005 and 2008

PM sent

Message received. Give me a couple of hours pal. Cheers again

There are plenty of trainers / instructors in here

viewforum.php?f=5

One even sponsors that forum

I was an LGV Instructor for nearly 20 years. It certainly is not for everyone and not only do have to know your stuff inside out but you need the patience of a saint.
I would highly recommend that you become properly qualified. Maybe your prospective company will deal with that also.
It is like any other job. You need practise and experience and the more you get the better.
It is an extremely satisfying job though if you are dedicated to that type of work.
If you do give it a go…good luck.

I did it for 7 years, but got to the stage where it was doing my head in. New guy or guys on a Monday, test on Friday, worked hard all week to get them up to test standard, then start again the next next week.

It is harder than you might think. Some think it’s just a case of sitting there, but in fact you have to be thinking well ahead of your trainee, eyes in the back of your head, conversant with all the test routes, and being alert constantly for possible errors your trainee will make.

I qualified as a DSA LGV Instructor, and to be honest apart from it being a qualification, it’s voluntary, so really doesn’t mean a thing. There isn’t a qualification for PCV Instructor either.

One plus, you might say is that it is more of a 9 to 5 job. However that means that you can’t get as many hours in, so need to be better paid to compensate.

Maybe it depends how conscientious you are, but after 7 years I felt that I had exhausted myself. Fortunately I was in a position to just give it up.

Now the test has become so easy to pass, with small automatic trucks, no braking exercise or gear change exercise, the pass rates have gone up, which probably makes the job of instructor easier, and therefore less stressful, in my opinion; but more boring.

When all this is said there is satisfaction in getting a trainee to pass their test.

Thanks for the replies. I went in this morning to do some shadowing. I loved it. Really do think its something i could do and enjoy.

Are there any books etc that you can recommend that would be a good help ?

htfc1984:
Are there any books etc that you can recommend that would be a good help ?

Not really - being an advanced driving observer will help a lot

Well had a couple of shadowing sessions. A driving assessment off the owner. Taken charge of a couple of new trainees. Got offered the job and I’ve accepted it! Thanks for the replies

I’d love to do it, but not as a permanent instructor, just as a company trainer so it’s not all the time. I don’t think the intensive courses are suitable to get a driver up to a safe standard to go out onto the road. As a company trainer I’d have more freedom to do it right for all concerned; myself, the trainee & the company.