Hgv drivers records

hi im new to this. ive a class2 licence and fully cpc, i drive a 3 tonne van at present and every 6 weeks i deliver my 18 tonne truck for its 6 weekly inspection at a company around 5 miles away from were im based making it around 10 mile round trip, i currently keep records of all my "van"driving hours so if im stopped by the dvsa when im driving said 18 tonne i can produce my previous 28 days work records ,ive just been told i dont need to this by my employer which im arguing is incorrect and that i must produce these records when asked by dvsa …whos right and whos wrong plz .■■?

I got stopped by vosa in 7.5tonner , they downloaded my digi card and asked if I had a record of my van driving ? but weren’t interested in looking at it. to be honest I could have been driving (a van) for 18hrs a day all week and recording 8hrs and who would know ■■? no tacho to keep a independent/impartial check on my activities .

You only need to keep records for the weeks you do driving that comes in the scope of EU drivers hours so only really one week out of 6 where you take the truck for service.

I think you only need records of vehicles from 3.5T upwards.

Some would have you recording everything down to sitting in a sodding wheeled chair.

Don’t worry about it.

You are right to be concerned about this ,on the day you drive the lorry a fare way away and get stopped you could have to wait a while for evidence of your other work to be proved before you can carry on ,in these circumstances before now I’ve had to write down where I’d been for 28 days .

dew:
Some would have you recording everything down to sitting in a sodding wheeled chair.

Don’t worry about it.

Yes,dont worry about it.
Till your sitting at a dvsa checkpoint while they ask you about your previous working,to which you have no records.
And you staring at the wrong end of a bunch of fines.
And they are refusing to let you move till they see proof of your working records.
Like it or not,if you need records then you need to have them.
Best case scenario,if you dont have them,deny any other driving/working and pray they dont dig too deep.

dazbeau:
hi im new to this. ive a class2 licence and fully cpc, i drive a 3 tonne van at present and every 6 weeks i deliver my 18 tonne truck for its 6 weekly inspection at a company around 5 miles away from were im based making it around 10 mile round trip, i currently keep records of all my "van"driving hours so if im stopped by the dvsa when im driving said 18 tonne i can produce my previous 28 days work records ,ive just been told i dont need to this by my employer which im arguing is incorrect and that i must produce these records when asked by dvsa …whos right and whos wrong plz .■■?

Since you are driving under domestic rules in the van, maybe your boss doesnt want VOSA or what ever they are called these days to see the excessive hours you are doing every day, that is if you are recording more than you should be, not saying you are though.

Driving/operating a vehicle 3.5t or below does not require any record keeping under Domestic Rules.

However - when you drive the LGV, if it is in scope of the EU Drivers Hours Rules then you will need to have records of ANY WORK carried out PRIOR to driving the LGV - IN THAT SAME WEEK.

So … drive the 3.5t Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, drive the 18t Thursday and you will need a record of the work you did Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday with you. This record need only be NAME, DATE, START TIME and FINISH TIME. It can be more if you like.

This would mean - as rightly posted earlier, your 28 calendar days for which you need to produce any legally required records may only be 3 or 4 actual records. The tacho for today and the work records for Mon/Tue/Wed etc or whatever you actually did.

The more records you have the less chance of being detained whilst they make you obtain evidence of what you did last week etc. I would suggest have a log book or diary - this will keep DVSA happy and speed up the check.

Those that have said don’t worry are wrong. Failure to produce records at the roadside can bring on a fixed penalty (can’t remember if it’s £200 or £300) and of course prompt DVSA to look further, visit the company etc etc.

Tell your boss you are doing him a favour by doing things correctly.

I had my weekly time sheet, which I offered when asked about other driving . the fact I had it was enough to satisfy the guy ,he was happy to wave me on my way, seems I ticked all the right boxes and passed the attitude test .

Has anyone kept logs on their smartphone or used a truck timer etc with the log file - would this satisfy a road check I wonder ?

dazbeau:

As has been said you only need to keep records for none driving work days in weeks in which you drive in-scope of EU regulations, by none driving work days I mean days that you do not legally have to keep driving records.

The records for none driving work days should show the date, start and finish times and your name or licence number, in your case they can legally be kept on charts or printouts.
You should keep the required records for none driving work days for 28 days then you can file then in the bin if you want.

dcgpx:
Has anyone kept logs on their smartphone or used a truck timer etc with the log file - would this satisfy a road check I wonder ?

Legally records for none driving work days should be kept on charts or printouts or log sheets if you’ve been driving on domestic rules, however some people have said that they’ve been told by dvsa that they will accept records in a notebook/diary, I can’t vouch for that but it does make sense.

I doubt if a DVSA bod would want to be looking through logs on a smart-phone app, but if you decide to try it let us know if you get fined or not will you :smiley: :wink:

That’s what I thought, at least I can email them to myself and print them off to sign and date !

So unless I miss a day I don’t want to try :slight_smile: and see what happens

Bet someone has tried to though and wondered how they got on .

Very much doubt went well, written is as they say in black and white, electronic too easy to change.

Even so I could change my log file previous day and then use that but so any diary can be I guess written after shift .

Whole CYA getting way out of hand IMO. No other industry has this many diverse regulations to satisfy !