Hgv driver that got stuck "leaves" job

Im sure this was discussed on here but cant find it easily

looks like he got sacked

The manager said: “We don’t sack people. The driver had his chance. He had done a few things wrong and that was the final straw.”

You’re right they sacked him. Mutual consent my arse, some people do talk bollox don’t they? :rofl:

“We have some drivers who come here for employment who have no idea how to disconnect the trailer"

That’s a bit unfair on the DVSA/DVLA? It is most certainly taught and examined.

Although some candidates will be better than others. I had to ask someone how to pull the handle this week, it’s was a low ride that was just difficult.

The rest of the article was interesting, each blaming the other employers/DVLA and quite misleading pointing to 35 hours being useful training :rofl:

decade a go i was working in a warehouse as a picker with one of those stupid llop things and a pallet of spirits went over. Long story short i was told i could leave now under mutual agreement or be suspended with out pay until a hearing could be held where i would be sacked. Because of what had been going on in the past and various other factors i chose to be suspended and ended up keeping the job because i was able to prove fault in the company procedures

Boss:
“Do you want to be sacked with no references?”…“Or resign with immediate effect?”

I would say they probably avoiding any later issues if the driver got cocky.

what if they learned in a wag and drag they would of done a different 3a i guess.

at the end of the day they assessed the driver and deemed him competent so to blame everyone else is a bit rich.

not trying to teach you to do anything with eggs (booming auto correct) but i had a similar experience once i couldn’t pull the handle another driver couldn’t either. The other driver told me to put the trailer brake on and reverse back hardish this seemed to release it and i could pull the handle easily.

1 Like

Subtle but important decision “leaving” or “being sacked”. “Leaving by mutual consent” means the employer isn’t going to say anything more than that if asked for a reference, so it looks better for the driver, saying “his employment was terminated” has a different meaning to any prospective new employer, so in this respect, it sounds fair.
As for the “newspaper”, not exactly “Guardian-style top reporting”, the employer made a few honest comments that were then embellished to fill column spaces. Anyone who has ever found their comments represented in any level of “the press” will tell you these guys distort everything.

As for this driver, at least he was trying to reverse, unlike one I saw on FB yesterday, who tried to spin his wagon around on a regular two-lane single carriageway, drove the unit fully onto a soft grass verge and got stuck :roll_eyes:

Maybe so but, if I was an employer and set a bloke on on the basis of lies, or lies of ommission, by a previous one I would be very annoyed.

In extreme circumstances it could even be the basis for legal action in the future if someone had been led astray in some way.

Can of worms…
You are correct that any reference must be fair and accurate.
So, if in doubt give none, or a very short one.

Easier to say nothing about maybe time keeping, than say he is a lazy git, and be challenged by the guy who can’t get out of bed.

isn’t there a rule that says you aren’t allowed to give a bad reference. thing is it is easy to convey your meaning.

blogs worked for us between blah and blah and left with mutual concent. or blogs worked for us between blah and blah he was always prompt for work very helpful and willing to go the extra mile for both the business and customer. In the time of working he had no accidents and needed very little supervision. I warmly recommend this person to you.

i know which person i would employ.

I get what you mean, but the world has changed massively, this is why employers these days need to know how to read between the lines:
(A) I’m looking for a reference for John Smith, he’s said he worked for you?
(B) We can confirm John Smith was employed by us from X date until Z date.
(A) Anything else to add?
(B) We have no further comment at this time.

What is not said is what is important these days.

Some people believe an employer cannot legally give “a bad reference”, they can, it’s just easier and safer (in this insanely litigious world) to take the “less is more” option.

And unless a reference has been formally promised in an employment contract, they can if they choose, legally give no reference at all, which speaks volumes.

The rules are all in the link I provided.

A “bad” reference can be given.
But it can be challenged, so care must be taken to see it is accurate.
Easier to say nothing.

I think the credit you are giving him for the reverse is perhaps misguided, given how close he was to the next roundabout!

He’s only getting credit that is relevant in comparison to the other total end-of-a-ringy-thing. I wish I’d copied the picture when I first saw it.

EDIT: Also I am in no way familiar with that part of the world.

B’jay-sus, these Wiltshire HGV folk are a rum lot :joy:
OK, so it’s an unannounced road closure apparently, but I’m thinking this is one of those situations where a pro-sat nav might have helped a little

The thing with Salisbury I find is you have to pick your approach carefully to suit your running height, as there are a good selection of bridges that could bring about your downfall.

A guy I work with recently said he ended up on an unplanned drive to Shaftesbury and back after roadworks caught him out in Salisbury.

“Tarmac gave way under my tyres…” Yeah, and the dog ate your homework…
tarmac 2

trying to see what type of lorry it is… got orange plates up

i just cant see how he got himself in such a situation the road appears wide enough for him if he needed to be down there for a collection or delivery

Also one of those situations where some common sense would have helped a little…