HGV driver ploughs through traffic on roundabout

Hi all,

I am merely here on seeking advice on what I have witnessed on my Dashcam video. Before I begin, I am not here to start a war or whatever, just seeking some advices so I can have a better understanding of HOW they work so us car drivers can “work” with them to make things easier for each other.

First, here’s the video that I caught from my dashcam setup:

youtube.com/watch?v=PZ-mL92lDC8

I am very aware that once you get the truck moving, it’s hard enough to get the truck moving and stopping takes longer. But after what I have witnessed in this, is this a normal behaviour of an HGV driver? Or have I got this wrong and that this isolicated HGV driver is just a ‘bully’ who did not want to wait too long for a suitable gap? Or something else?

I look forward to see what your thoughts are.

Many thanks.

Tony

You must have very little going on in your life.

Very likely he has just made a wrong call, I have done it in the 30 years I have been driving a few times, if I mess up I do my best to say sorry.
Cars,bikes,wagons, buses all balls up now and then, its life.
Drivers see it every day many times a day. :wink:

Cosmic:
You must have very little going on in your life.

Like I said, I am just wondering.

All I want to do is to make sure we work together and make things easier by understanding. Is this too much to ask for?

Drift:
Very likely he has just made a wrong call, I have done it in the 30 years I have been driving a few times, if I mess up I do my best to say sorry.

+1 It’s very easy to ■■■■ up a roundabout entry, lots do it. how many car drivers have pulled out on lorries? Swings and roundabouts (ahem) mate, let’s not do this eh?

Zb happens, drivers should just deal with it & move on…!

Drift:

Yes, I did think the HGV driver made the wrong call.

However there are two specific HGV drivers elsewhere (on Facebook) who were saying that the two cars in front of me were in the wrong and was not signalling right. I can’t work out why and they were very vague to explain why, perhaps some sort of ‘secret trucker rules’ and not telling us to why.

Hence my post in here to find out.

Sometimes, at a busy roundabout, you just have to ‘go’.

Ploughs through traffic on roundabout :unamused: a bit of sensational journalism :open_mouth: could just be a simple thing that the truck was an automatic foot down and it couldn’t make its mind up what gear it wanted.
could be also that SOME car drivers think nothing of sprinting around roundabouts flat out give no hope of a truck in getting away without upsetting someone.
How many clips of car drivers chopping lanes up the inside of a truck do you have where the trucks turning right and mr Kia hasn’t thought about the rear swing of the truck or trailer …
Keep filming and you’ll be amazed what you’ll witness.

it may help you understand a bit more on how trucks move.
That’s gonna keep you a bit safer, only if you take on board what you see though.

well 1 car was not indicating around the roundabout and the one in front of you was trying to get round as quick as pos

Pimpdaddy:
Zb happens, drivers should just deal with it & move on…!

Yeah, it does happen, but was it right to have both of these cars to do an emergency brake when both cars were in FULL view from the HGV driver side, so surely the trucker should not have made the move?

Is it the case of “I’m bigger than you, you stop for me” ? Or, as someone pointed out, bad call?

tsutton:

Drift:

However there are two specific HGV drivers elsewhere (on Facebook) who were saying that the two cars in front of me were in the wrong and was not signalling right. I can’t work out why and they were very vague to explain why, perhaps some sort of ‘secret trucker rules’ and not telling us to why.

I cant see any problem with the cars positioning from that view but there are many many HGV drivers as there are car drivers and believe it or not HGV drivers are car drivers too, so you FB mates are not representative of a whole industry :wink:

rambo19:
Sometimes, at a busy roundabout, you just have to ‘go’.

I agree with your comment, but this roundabout is big enough for the HGV driver to see what traffic is coming far away. So it boils down to bad call?

What can the car drivers do to make your lives easier?

tsutton:

Did you not all think about slowing down just a tad to let him out?

I mean, I do that all the time, not just in the truck but in my car as well, I believe the Highway Code calls it “Consideration for other road users”.

I can only assume that he’d waited to pull out for some considerable time and impatience got the better of him, because HGVs have comparatively poor acceleration from a standing start it can be extremely frustrating trying to pull out on a busy roundabout, and sometimes there is little alternative but to pull out knowing that you will force other motorists to slow down, however in that video the cars were much too close and the HGV driver should have waited for a more appropriate time to pull out.

On the whole I agree with what others have said, the driver made a bad judgement call :frowning:

nick2008:
How many clips of car drivers chopping lanes up the inside of a truck do you have where the trucks turning right and mr Kia hasn’t thought about the rear swing of the truck or trailer …
Keep filming and you’ll be amazed what you’ll witness.

I do not have any of these clips, thankfully. However I did see others clips on Youtube and yes I have heard of cars thinking it’s OK to do that when in fact it’s a VERY bad idea to do so.

That’s gonna keep you a bit safer, only if you take on board what you see though.

That’s the purpose of this discussion as I want to understand how trucks works & moves for our safety and making things easier for everyone.

Thanks for your comment.

tsutton:

That’s the purpose of this discussion as I want to understand how trucks works & moves for our safety and making things easier for everyone.

Thanks for your comment.

It could be an idea to book an hours assessment with a local HGV training company, it would be a real eye opener :wink:

Drift:
It could be an idea to book an hours assessment with a local HGV training company, it would be a real eye opener :wink:

I actually did think about doing it on the other day. The only time I drove anything bigger than my car was the Ford Transit LWB and I actually found it very interesting van to drive! You had to think about making a longer turns on a corner, observing these mirrors more often to ensure you do not hit the kerbs, cyclists, objects, etc.

And to think that you guys drove even longer trailer… I salute you and your amazing jobs of bringing us supplies & food all over the UK!

tsutton:
Is it the case of “I’m bigger than you, you stop for me” ?

Thats precisely it for me…

A tipper driver!! Enough said around Norwich area during the Beet runs! :wink:

But they still have to pull out dont they…