Hgv derogations, clarification?

I have read in the vosa rules that vehicles involved in farming and fishing are exempt from having to use a tachograph

http://www.transportsfriend.org/hours/hgv.html: Vehicles used or hired without a driver by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery undertakings for carrying goods as part of their own entrepreneurial activity within a radius of 100 km from the base of the undertaking.

Does this basically mean anyone who fits this criteria doesn’t have to run on tacho? so the tractors/lorries I see pulling spuds and cabbages up and down the roads all day round my way can drive as long as they want, how does that fit in with regular tacho work, or does it not?

nurglets:
I have read in the vosa rules that vehicles involved in farming and fishing are exempt from having to use a tachograph

http://www.transportsfriend.org/hours/hgv.html: Vehicles used or hired without a driver by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery undertakings for carrying goods as part of their own entrepreneurial activity within a radius of 100 km from the base of the undertaking.

Does this basically mean anyone who fits this criteria doesn’t have to run on tacho? so the tractors/lorries I see pulling spuds and cabbages up and down the roads all day round my way can drive as long as they want, how does that fit in with regular tacho work, or does it not?[/quote

Correct, my boss many years ago thought the 100km radius tacho exemption could be extended from Cornwall to Edinbugh & Glasgow in the spud season.

neilg14:
Correct, my boss many years ago thought the 100km radius tacho exemption could be extended from Cornwall to Edinbugh & Glasgow in the spud season.

If my boss thought about it, it wouldn’t be the distance, it would be the extra hours he could get out of some of his drivers. Granted I’d probably welcome it a bit, drive 45 mins, wait/sleep 3-4 hours, drive 30 mins, wait sleep another 3hrs and so on. i’d get more sleep/rest at work than i would at home with kids being on summer holidays right now…

if you meet the critera, then you’ll run on gb domestic hours, 100km radius limit from base, if you stay within 50km of base and don’t drive more than 4 hours a day (24 hour period from start of shift) then you don’t need to keep any records, over either and it’s log books or put your card in, but set it to out of scope.

11 hours of duty a day, doesn’t include breaks. although if you don’t drive more than 4 hours on each day of the week then there isn’t a duty limit. 10 hours driving a day, no breaks needed, no weekly rest needed, so 7 days a week. you can opt out of the 48 hour wtd average hours, the only other bits of wtd that apply are 5.6 weeks holiday pay, health checks for night workers and entitlement to adequate rest - that’s it!

off road driving for agriculture doesn’t count as driving time either

Being exempt from EU Regs (and as a result, no tacho) does NOT mean “no limits at all” - It just means that you will instead be subject to UK Domestic Regs.

i run on uk domestic regs( electricity grid work),as above-logbooks,11 hrs duty,10 driving and can work seven days a week.