Hgv cv

malcolmgbell:
That’s my point I’ve been at this place for 8 years doing the same thing containers does not sound to good for other type of work.you no as I do you drive here and do this ,but what do they want to see on the cv,word and mouth used to work

It doesn’t matter what you put, it’s just a load of ■■■■■■■■ which firms with HR departments insist on.

Name, address, phone number and email address at the top, school you went to, from and to dates, any qualifications you have.

Then type of licence(s) you have, and when from, and any other work-related qualifications (DCPC card etc)

Then what jobs you have had, from and to dates and what the job involved, with a grossly overblown description (responsible for collection of shipping containers from UK ports, delivery of consignments to customers’ premises, liaising with clients about unloading methods and ensuring all paperwork was correctly completed, while complying with all relevant legislation blah blah blah)

Then finally some guff about personal qualities such as “Reliable, personable and friendly, equally at home working alone or as a member of a team”.

But don’t worry overmuch because as has been pointed out, they won’t even read it.

Sorry, I just read the thread.

My bad, I thought hgv c+v was a new licence category :blush: I thought I was going to get to drive road trains :sunglasses:

Conor:
A well written skills section managed to get me an interview 2 years ago in an electronics and software development company where I was offered the job on the spot even though I’d been driving trucks for almost all of the previous two decades.

So… remind us, how did that go then?

the maoster:

Conor:
A well written skills section managed to get me an interview 2 years ago in an electronics and software development company where I was offered the job on the spot even though I’d been driving trucks for almost all of the previous two decades.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:

Conor:

He turned it down. The allure of the A66 and 20,000 straps over chipboard was too much to give up.

Plus the swivel office chair would play havoc with his back.

I’m just going to throw this out there - I think some of the comments on here are totally out of order and are nothing more than spiteful bullying.

I don’t particularly like conor - and I’m sure the feeling is mutual. But why should he be ridiculed for at one point trying to do something different and better himself? Why should he have it shoved down his throat that he is ‘just a driver’ by people who will invariably also just be drivers and who lack the ability to start a sentence with a capital letter? What makes grown men act like little children ganging up together?

Dieseldog is a perfect example of the childish, nasty and sad behaviour. The man can’t believe that someone has any form of qualifications. Presumably, because he does not. I understand from his posting that he has an enterprise involving creating caravans - now that isn’t my cup of tea. But if he enjoys it and it allows him a better standard of life I wouldn’t dream of attempting to ridicule it in a sneering manner.

I wish everyone on this forum the best. I hope you all make loads of money and are happy with all parts of your life. And I really hope that you can do something better with your time than picking on someone through your keyboard.

you presume wrong there bud,but i wouldnt presume,id assume that before long your going to end up in the same “son of conor” corner along with tramp and his nom de plumes,and your cpl of pals working from the same formula…time will tell,meanwhile the rest of us will just smirk or shake heads at the attempts of your posts. :unamused:

malcolmgbell:
Been ringing round some firms about a job and they all come back with the same crap,send in your cv.im am a hgv class1 driver thanks, so what are you to mentioning on it, I’ve have had 24 jobs in the last 2 years,I learnt a load of different things in the 24 jobs ive had.
Yours hopefully bungle

8 years at same work place? That would stand out as much if not more than an agency driver with years of truck hoping, experience is key for many companies with £80k+ trucks n trailers to be driven.
One tip :bulb: I would like to pass on is, if you make your own cv on, for example; the word docx. format, send it first to yourself using another email address and check any line errors, preview before sending to any prospective transport manager, who may see 100’s and all the badly presented c.v’s. might go straight into the bin without reading. :neutral_face:

dieseldog999:
anything else,just lie through your teeth if you want the job and wing it once you get started.

Well it worked for Donald trump

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

If you’re applying for driving jobs then Hop 2 It has it spot on - basic info related to your driving qualifications and history

If you’re looking for non-driving jobs then you’ll need a bit about why you’re looking to get away from driving - more family time/a new challenge that kind of ■■■■■■■■

Unless you have skills directly relevant to the job then you’re wasting your time - no one gives a ■■■■ that you can scale Everest unless you’re applying for a job as a mountain rescuer

A note for everyone regarding “office bods” we do read the CV’s, some we pass round for a laugh :stuck_out_tongue: , but in general we’re looking at your driving qualifications (you’d be amazed at the amount of people who don’t have the right category for the job), if you’ve got a long run on your DCPC (so we’re not having to pay out for a full block as soon as you start) and if you have any experience doing what we need you to do…we’re not all pointy shoe wearing jobsworths :wink: