HGV Bootcamp now live!

Hi All,

Just to let anyone interested know that the list of ‘bootcamps’ for anyone wanting to get / upgrade their licence is now available.

gov.uk/government/publicati … WX,2JDDM,1

Paul

I self-funded my C licence in August, and am about to self-fund my C+E course in January.

I now think I might have been better off waiting to get it all paid for straight to C+E…? :blush:

capirex:
Hi All,

Just to let anyone interested know that the list of ‘bootcamps’ for anyone wanting to get / upgrade their licence is now available.

gov.uk/government/publicati … WX,2JDDM,1

Paul

I filled out the form, I’ll let you know when I get rejected :slight_smile:

Goff118:
I now think I might have been better off waiting to get it all paid for straight to C+E…? :blush:

I doubt it, I suspect you’re better off with your self-funding plan.

I may have misunderstood how the scheme runs, but looking at the contacts listed for the north east, I don’t recognise a single one of those names, not one of the six or more driving schools I could name as reputable are on that list.

Also I note most of the names listed state “locations across the region” and many names feature in multiple areas of the country. Traditionally on TN that indicates the dreaded brokers with the regular message “avoid like the plague”.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone that gets onto one of these schemes, especially if they would post a weekly update to see what is involved.

I recall many years ago getting a funded government course to learn the basics of plastering - we did two and a half day days of literacy and numeracy, only then did we get our two and a half day days of plastering.
“Where there’s a scheme, there’s a schemer…”

Most the names on there are apprenticeship providers. Some are quickly investing in facilities/instructors and vehicles to offer the training, whilst others will outsource the practical part of the training to LGV schools.

I’d be interested to know how much they receive per student from the government. I suspect it’s considerably more than the cost of a standard course if you went direct

Zac_A:
I doubt it, I suspect you’re better off with your self-funding plan.[/i]

Dont forget, the bootcamps will be free as opposed to a few thousand of your own money should you do it yourself.

Based on my experience with them for the Class C course, I am thinking that the 1 to 1 training I’ll get at PSTT will be better than whatever the government schemers are offering.

I have already saved up the money I need, through a weekend job driving vans, and have my C&E Course booked in for January, so I’ll stick with that now.

I live in Wales also, so not sure if the Bootcamps would let me on, although there is a college in South Wales now also offering government-funded HGV training…

capirex:

Zac_A:
I doubt it, I suspect you’re better off with your self-funding plan.[/i]

Dont forget, the bootcamps will be free as opposed to a few thousand of your own money should you do it yourself.

Depends on your motivation and personal analysis of the situation:

1. on one hand, 16 weeks to do something “free” bearing in mind this is a totally new and untried system, so plenty of potential for it to go FUBAR,
    compared to
  2. doing your course(s) in a week (or two if you’re going C+E) with a training provider you can choose and factoring in the potential earnings you could make in the remaining 15 (or 14 weeks).

Practical example using figures from Pete S relating to forum sponsor PSTT
£2495 for car to artic, two weeks out of the sixteen in a “bootcamp”
= £2495/14 = £178.21.
If you were paid £12 ph, that’s less than 15 hours per week (ie one long shift) to recoup the costs of being able to choose your trainer.

I know what works best for me

I didn’t realise the bootcamps were going to take place over such a long period of time. Definitely feel better about the self-funding option if that’s the case. Don’t think my current employer would be happy with me taking holidays every week for 16 weeks!

Goff118:
I didn’t realise the bootcamps were going to take place over such a long period of time. Definitely feel better about the self-funding option if that’s the case. Don’t think my current employer would be happy with me taking holidays every week for 16 weeks!

From what I’ve read so far, it can be spread over 16 weeks - I’ve been told to take around 11 days leave throughout this period.

Aye, roughly four months, it’s not clear how that works for employed people

Skills Bootcamps offer free, flexible courses of up to 16 weeks. They are available for adults aged 19 or over who are either in work or recently unemployed and live in England. Some Skills Bootcamps have additional eligibility criteria.
They give people the opportunity to build up sector-specific skills and fast-track to an interview with a local employer.
Contact the Skills Bootcamp lead supplier to find out:
if you’re eligible to apply
the exact location of the Skills Bootcamp
how to apply

Hi sorry can someone explain to me what this is?

my cpc periodic runs out in a couple months can the government just pay for mine now?

TruckDriverBen:
Hi sorry can someone explain to me what this is?

my cpc periodic runs out in a couple months can the government just pay for mine now?

The bootcamp doesn’t fund the CPC, only gaining your class 2 / 1 / ADR licence. I believe the Gov is looking into the CPC issue separately.

I don’t recall seeing anything about them funding ADR, just HGV training.

Zac_A:
I don’t recall seeing anything about them funding ADR, just HGV training.

Might be operator specific. When i applied there were various checkboxes with what was being offered and ADR was one of them.

There nothing in place for Scotland?

andyvxr:
There nothing in place for Scotland?

It’s there:

Scotland
Course type Provider Location of training Contact information
Existing HGV upgrade to ADR packages Logistics UK Stirling hgv.academy
Existing HGV upgrade to ADR packages Logistics UK Stirling hgv.academy
Existing HGV upgrade to ADR plus PDP Logistics UK Stirling hgv.academy
Existing HGV upgrade to ADR plus PDP Logistics UK Stirling hgv.academy
Existing HGV upgrade to ADR packages and tankers Logistics UK Stirling hgv.academy
Existing HGV upgrade to ADR packages and tankers Logistics UK Stirling hgv.academy

Really happy to say that after doing this ‘bootcamp’ for my class 1 i’ve PASSED :slight_smile:

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif