HGV Ban in city's

Hooray !

Knob Head ‘Viney’ is gonna talk about banning HGV’s from inner city’s.

Yes please, I’ll vote for that !

London can keep its congested nightmare of a road system for the Million Transit vans that it will take to deliver all the goods in the shops.

martinviking:
Hooray !

Knob Head ‘Viney’ is gonna talk about banning HGV’s from inner city’s.

Yes please, I’ll vote for that !

London can keep its congested nightmare of a road system for the Million Transit vans that it will take to deliver all the goods in the shops.

Completely agree.

Isn’t it amazing how these, how did you put it, oh aye, “Knob heads” in privileged positions, who can address 100,000’s of people at a time and spout guff in the hope that they will get a consensus on their opinion to promote their stupid idea? Although… that is how consensus is usually manufactured anyway, so he is only practicing what he was taught.

Anyway. Don’t these “Knob heads” realise that, no wagons in cities = no goods in the shops = or, more smaller vehicles to do the same job, as you say?

I’m surprised no-one on Trucknet, (or anywhere it seems) has produced actual figures to show the difference in item cost between its current method of delivery to shop/outlet (say in an artic) compared to what the same item would cost if it were to be delivered via a Transit from an out of town warehouse that the artic delivered to instead.

Anyone fancy the challenge of producing some figures ?

Nice one Dav1d. It would be interesting to see the cost difference, but at a guess I’d think it would be dearer using Vans.

Yes, that’s my point, X amount of van runs compared to one artic run.

So, is anybody on Truck net able to produce figures for this ?

Solly:
Nice one Dav1d. It would be interesting to see the cost difference, but at a guess I’d think it would be dearer using Vans.

lets’ say a 44 tonner has a 30ton payload (just to make thing’s simple), and the hgv driver is on £10 per hr (let’s make it simple), and he does 400 mile’s and 15 drop’s. so 2 day’s work. + 20 N/O money with 2 9hrs days doing 5mpg.
its journey from the depot to london is 50mile’s

so it’s 300 mile’s for 15 drop’s or 20 mile’s per drop.

so that’s

£200 for wage’s inc N/O money.
£492 for fuel.

so £692 to do it.

with a van the driver is on 8 per hrs and does a 9hr day as well. the van has a pay load of 2tons and does 15mpg, and has to return to depot to reload, so looking at 120 mile’s per drop. and he avarage’s about 40 mph over all so that’s 3hrs per drop including loading etc.

so looking at 1800 mile’s at 15 mpg that is £730 in fuel.
15 drop’s at 3hrs each is 45hrs. that’s 5 9hr day’s so looking at 45hrs at 8 per hr is £400.

£400 for wage’s
£730 for fuel.

so £1130 for it to be done in 1 van. but it also take’s 5 day’s to do it…

this is very simple using rounded up figure’s and example’s etc so not that accurate but gives a good idea of what it would cost to ban hgv’s in city’s the cost would be different if a 18/26 tonner.

One artic 26 pallets 13 drops 2 days £160 wage £300 fuel
One transit 3 pallets 2 drops one day £80 wage £150 fuel
Nine transits 27 pallets 18 drops one day £720 wages £1350 fuel

30 artics visiting Cityville delivering 300 pallets or
100 transits visiting Cityville to do the same or
1 train visiting Cityville delivering 300 pallets, then 100 transits to tranship from the railhead, 3 days later, hope you like cheese on yer cornflakes.

So many variables, however anyone with common sense can see it’s going to be expensive, and of course the shops are going to absorb that extra expense from their profit margin and not their patrons.

I’m thinking about delivering to the big stores- John Lewis, Tesco, Sainsburys etc, they have several artic loads a day, so say John Lewis, Oxford street, has 5 x 40 footers a day carrying 16 tons each- to do that on 7.5 tonners, you would need 20, carrying 4 tons each or 40 transits carrying 2 tons each. They would all be queuing in the back streets causing chaos & even more danger to all the ‘Lady Cyclists’ (who seem to be the problem here, running up the inside of lorry’s at traffic lights)

philgor:

Solly:

lets’ say a 44 tonner has a 30ton payload (just to make thing’s simple), and the hgv driver is on £10 per hr (let’s make it simple), and he does 400 mile’s and 15 drop’s. so 2 day’s work. + 20 N/O money with 2 9hrs days doing 5mpg.

so that’s

£492 for fuel.

so £692 to do it.

with a van the driver is on 8 per hrs and does a 9hr day as well. the van has a pay load of 2tons and does 15mpg, and has to return to depot to reload, so looking at 120 mile’s per drop. and he avarage’s about 40 mph over all so that’s 3hrs per drop including loading etc.

15 drop’s at 3hrs each is 45hrs. that’s 5 9hr day’s so looking at 45hrs at 8 per hr is £400.

£400 for wage’s
£730 for fuel.

this is very simple using rounded up figure’s and example’s etc so not that accurate but gives a good idea of what it would cost to ban hgv’s in city’s the cost would be different if a 18/26 tonner.

There you go Dav1d. Just as we thought.

Thanks for that. Appreciated… Philgor.

Solly:

philgor:

Solly:

so that’s

£492 for fuel.

so £692 to do it.

£400 for wage’s
£730 for fuel.

There you go Dav1d. Just as we thought.

Thanks for that. Appreciated… Philgor.

my pleasure, just don’t ask for it again as it fried my brain working that all out… :laughing:

philgor:
my pleasure, just don’t ask for it again as it fried my brain working that all out… :laughing:

OK I’ll scrub asking how many Berlingo’s it would take and at what cost. :smiley: Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend, you deserve it.

Thanks philgor, but thats only part of what I was getting at.
What I’d really like to see is how the retail price of an item that was delivered by an artic would increase if it was to be delivered by a Transit.

best idea yet, gets my vote

Dav1d:
Thanks philgor, but thats only part of what I was getting at.
What I’d really like to see is how the retail price of an item that was delivered by an artic would increase if it was to be delivered by a Transit.

Lets do whiskey.

An artic 33 euro pallets with 45 boxes on each, each box contains 12 bottles retailing at £30 with £3 profit going to the retailer.

33x45x12 = 17820 x £30 = £534600 or £5346 profit going to retailers.

One artic on a 100 mile journey at 10 mpg and costing £10 p/h for the driver taking 4 hours to complete the delivery.

10 gallon @ £6 = £60 + £40 = £100 + a not unreasonable £200 overheads. = £300

1 transit doing the same journey at a generous 20 mpg.

5 gallon = £30 + £40 = £70 + £100 overheads. = £170

Oh the transit can only take about 1500kg or 3 pallets, 11 x 170 = £1870

1870 - 300 = £1570 divided by 17820 bottles = ~ 9 pence per bottle.

so the profit drop is a 97%… don’t think it’s even get passed the accountant’s…