HGV Apprenticeships?

I am wondering if there are any apprenticeships that young people can do in order to get there HGV licence. I am 21 and live in Scotland in the Tayside and Angus area, and I am willing to travel to do any apprenticeships or courses that may be available.

I looked into this when I first became interested in getting my LGV licences.

I was told by a few drivers that some companies used to put you through your driver training and then they contract you to work for them for x amount of years.

But I was told that this is very rare to find now. I’m not sure if it still happens really

fat chance of finding them now that the Young driver scheme has gone

your just gonna have to fund it yourself

davidh1989:
I am wondering if there are any apprenticeships that young people can do in order to get there HGV licence. I am 21 and live in Scotland in the Tayside and Angus area, and I am willing to travel to do any apprenticeships or courses that may be available.

I Think Stobarts still do a young drivers scheme, iv looked on there website but it just leads you to contact them via email or phone. They Definatly still did it about a year ago, I rang up for myself but didnt like the fact of being “owned” by them for 3 years. If you was to leave within that time period, they can take your licence back off you, Or if you refuse that they take it from your wages. :frowning:

Robert Wiseman’s used to train young drivers , don’t know if they still do !

It may be worth asking them as their website says

Learning and Development
A key attribute of the Company’s continued success is the philosophy of encouraging employee development programmes and promotion from within. The Company focus on the provision of both internal and external training initiatives, examples include Institute of Leadership and Management training and Modern Apprenticeship schemes for Young Drivers. The Company are proud to have trained the youngest LGV C+E driver in the UK.

wiseman-dairies.co.uk/contac … workplace/

Bit of a shame mate, there’s a DGV (Driving vehicle goods) apprenticeship down here in wakefield. (West Yorks) for the hgv lark.
I suggest looking on the apprenticeship website, well if you have one in scotland. Not sure if the one i go on covers you which I’m pretty sure it doesn’t. Just contact local hauliers asking them about it, see training companies who offer this kind of apprenticeship first, then get all the details. Go to the local hauliers with the information (Better in person as over the phone they can easily fob you off or in some experiences being told to ■■■■ off!!! :laughing: :laughing: ) and see if they can help you out. It can differ which companies are willing to help but I usually find that some bigger companies are more useful but sometimes smaller companies can be useful too so would be worth giving them a try as well!!

As well as looking at this, I’d look at other methods of getting into the haulage industry. Through mechanics, warehousing etc. Mechanics is more a better option to getting into the haulage industry as it is a trade also if you get with a big truck manufacturer they may be inclined to give you free hgv training courtesy of the apprenticeship!!

But just do your research, phone round see what offers are available. If you get one, claw at it with both hands!!

Hope this helps,

cheers

Jonny :sunglasses: