HGV Apprenticeships in Shropshire?

Hey everyone, this is my first post so I just hope that I got the right area for it !

I am currently in my last year in college aiming to persue a career in HGV driving (hopefully refrigerated - that’s what I’m most used to but as long as it’s a wagon I’m happy) and am starting to look around for HGV Apprenticeships, trying to get on the Young Drivers Scheme and passed before my 19th.

I did have an apprenticeship lined up, everything was sorted and then sh…omething hit the fan and it’s all fallen through. After ringing a dozen companies in Shropshire I’ve heard that the only company that they know of offering apprenticeships is the one I was supposed to go with.

I’m really running short of ideas and time to sort it out, so I’m asking members on the forum if they know about any companies in Shropshire (or as close to Shropshire as possible) that do apprenticeships ? Or if there is a way of getting an apprenticeship which offers me a placement on the Young Drivers Scheme ?

Unfortunately, I’ve been planning a HGV career since… well, the womb really, so I’ve got nothing to fall back on right now.

If anyone has any words of advice (other than give up the plan, I’ve heard that too many times but am to stubborn to pay attention to it) then I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

ShropshireLadJr

1. Take any job you can get.

2. Save your pennies.

3. Take your saved pennies to a recommended LGV training company.

4. Pass your test.

5. Apply for LGV driving job but don’t expect too much as most companies will say you have no experience/you’re too young etc.

6. Don’t give up the other job.

7. You really should listen to your elders and betters for once. Try it. It might just save you from a world of pain!

Thanks for the reply, and the steps you’ve suggested seem like the best choice at the moment.

I mean, I do have a job at the moment at the SportDirect store where I live. Unfortunately, it’s crap pay with crap hours and I’m pulling in about £50 a month… I ought to get a paperround again !

Still, it’s better than nothing. Once again, thanks for the reply, 44 Tonne Ton !

ShropshireLadJr:
Hey everyone, this is my first post so I just hope that I got the right area for it !

I am currently in my last year in college aiming to persue a career in HGV driving (hopefully refrigerated - that’s what I’m most used to but as long as it’s a wagon I’m happy) and am starting to look around for HGV Apprenticeships, trying to get on the Young Drivers Scheme and passed before my 19th. For the Yds your going to be looking for a long time because that got scrapped when the Driver CPC came in, What you are going to be looking for is a Driving Vehicle Goods apprenticeship. And trust me there are oppurtunities. I had an offer last week but had to decline due to circumstances

I did have an apprenticeship lined up, everything was sorted and then sh…omething hit the fan and it’s all fallen through. After ringing a dozen companies in Shropshire I’ve heard that the only company that they know of offering apprenticeships is the one I was supposed to go with.
Try different areas, be willing to travel because in a nutshell you can’t tie yourself down to just your area. Trust me i know through experience :grimacing:

I’m really running short of ideas and time to sort it out, so I’m asking members on the forum if they know about any companies in Shropshire (or as close to Shropshire as possible) that do apprenticeships ? Or if there is a way of getting an apprenticeship which offers me a placement on the Young Drivers Scheme ?
Quick tip would be to get something behind you aka mechanics, see if there are apprenticeships in mechanics, you’ve waited this long you can wait another 4 years while you are being trained fixing trucks and hell you might learn something you didn’t too :wink: :wink:
Unfortunately, I’ve been planning a HGV career since… well, the womb really, so I’ve got nothing to fall back on right now.
Sorry but, ■■■■■■■■. I’ve planned my HGV career since the age of 2, I did ■■■■ at school, I’m paying my dues now getting my qualifications and getting a trade or two behind me. I currently have photography, And i am going to have mechanics as I am taking more time out from MY ‘plan’ and getting a trade behind me for something to fall back on. So it’s aload of bull saying you can’t because you can :smiley: :smiley:

If anyone has any words of advice (other than give up the plan, I’ve heard that too many times but am to stubborn to pay attention to it) then I would be very grateful.
Don’t listen to people telling you to give up, But DO listen to people who tell you to get something behind you first. Anybody that knows me, knows the situation my dad is in with nothing left to fall back on and is struggling to get back to work. Lucky he is able to go back to work but if something goes wrong this time, He won’t have another chance. So listen to the old codgers but don’t listen to those who are cynical telling you not to do it. 173 people in total have tried deterring me. Not one of them has succeeded. But I have taken on board what they’ve had to say. ‘Get something behind you first’ ‘Trucking is NOT the be all and end all of things.’

Many thanks,
Your Welcome :grimacing:
ShropshireLadJr

I’m not trying to put you off mate, but it’s how i see it. I’d be a hypocrite telling you not to do it, but I am telling you, If you have any brains you will get something behind you. I’m doing it and trust me it’s been a VERY hard lesson for me to learn. But I’m learning. And I’m actually benefiting from it.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

ShropshireLadJr:

Hi ShropshireLadJr,

You’ve certainly found the right forum for your post, and it looks like you’ve had some great answers too!! :grimacing:

No dont give up your dream NEVER do that but do take some notice of the “bairn” in Jonnytruckfest ( sorry :laughing: :laughing: ) as he has been on here a while & has takes some stick as well but he has also taken some good advice ( after a while )

As he said the young driver scheme was scraped when you could do your licence at 18 so it is possible but will cost you unless of course you join 1 of are forces ( army / navy / RAF ) the other would be an HGV mechanic then they may pay for your training as you may have to take vehicles for MOT etc & you may learn a few things along the way

But remember it may be hard getting a job driving due to a lot of experienced drivers out of work also you should know the age thing as they like you to be at least 25 this comes from insurance companies they also like you to have 2 years experience ok there are some exceptions to this as there are some youngun on here who have found work

Please have a think about what some of have said but NEVER give up on your dream

Please take some time & have a good look round the forums

ShropshireLadJr:
crap hours and I’m pulling in about £50 a month…

I hope you aren’t doing that many hours for that kind of pay :open_mouth: Shocking, apprenticeships alone companies have to pay you minimum 95 quid a week! :open_mouth:

animal:
No dont give up your dream NEVER do that but do take some notice of the “bairn” in Jonnytruckfest ( sorry :laughing: :laughing: ) as he has been on here a while & has takes some stick as well but he has also taken some good advice ( after a while )

:laughing: :laughing: Not that young, ALthough i may act like it according to my mum & dad :wink: :laughing:

Deffinitely it took a while for me to start taking the advice from here but I did some growing up in that time. :wink: Been here 3 years in march. The last year and a half this forum has been of upmost importance to me, and gives a lot of advice. :grimacing:

animal:
Please have a think about what some of have said but NEVER give up on your dream

Deffinitely, I may go on abit but its all for the greater good :smiley: And like many of the believers, dreams are meant to be lived :wink: Well realistic dreams mind! Tried the superman dream when i was drunk once, Needless to say the stairs wern’t kind to me :laughing: But you know what i mean :grimacing:

Look through this forum i’m sure there will be a lot which is of use to you. I almost got into the industry this last month. I was gutted, but i wern’t and to be honest if not for this forum, I’d be stuck with my way of thoughts.

Just keep an open mind to things, you will get there eventually :grimacing:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

All of the above comments are great advice.

You could try getting a van drivers job at TNT or Royal mail, I met 2 people on my class 2 course that worked for these firms, they started by driving vans for them and then they paid for them to get there class 2 licence. I think you are tied into that company for a couple years but seems like it would be worth it as you are getting paid, getting trained and getting the experience needed. So in the theory you could be a class 1 driver with 3-4 years experience before you reach 25. Happy days :sunglasses:

Im sure there are other companys out there that would do something similar but i know these 2 definatly do!

Good luck and lets us know how you get on.

Still young to my bonny lad :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: remember my son is older than you

Yep you have been here a while & have grown up a lot & taken some advice from us GOB :laughing: has taken a bit though so you can & do now give advice to some people of similar age as you have been through it & are still going through it

ShropshireLadJr:
I mean, I do have a job at the moment at the SportDirect store where I live. Unfortunately, it’s crap pay with crap hours and I’m pulling in about £50 a month… I ought to get a paperround again !

Could you not apply there do more hours :question: as I hope you not doing many for that amount

Have you tried these ShropshireladJR? I use to tip there…http://www.pentons.co.uk

Good advice for you from the above posts too. Cant have too many strings to your bow. Look at other options to leave yourself, youre still a young guy and you may feel different in a few years. I speak from experience. My family was in the Motor Trade for over 30 years. I started right after leaving school in a main dealers and then went onto work in the family business. It was all I ever wanted to do. I was wrong. After 20 odd years in it I wanted out big time! No other skills apart from the business I’d been brought up in. So not saying dont do it if its your dream, just be a bit savy and perhaps get another skill. As the others have said its unlikely due to your age and lack of experience to start off with you will probably find yourself behind a wheel (unlikely, not impossible) until your at least in your early twenties. Use the time in between to perhaps get another skill.

Best of luck.

Matt

Matt,
I’ve tried Pentons and I had no luck unfortunately. I know the Penton brothers pretty well personally too so I would’ve had a better chance if they did do so.

I’ve had a passion in the French language for a while now, so if all fails with wagons, I am going to go towards the cheese eating surrender monkey side of the channel, but until I know it’s all gone Pete Tong, I’m gonna keep digging til I get just the chance to get my licences.

Thanks for the replies, all of them are appreciated, it’s good to be able to get advice from people who understand rather than those who look blankly at you.

• ShropshireLadJr

You could always join the logistic core of the army then you will get your licence can be out in 5 yrs

animal:
You could always join the logistic core of the army then you will get your licence can be out in 5 yrs

Don’t join the Army just to drive a truck! If that route appeals to you do something else maybe pick up a trade then when you’re coming out you can get them to put you through it. You’re obviously a smart lad so I’d like you to come on here one day, maybe 10 years down the line and say something like “Well I went off for ten years, went to uni and have been working as an electrical engineer and I’ve realised it’s not for me so I’m going to give truck driving a try now!” When you get older, settle down and start a family there will be two things you need more than others. Time with your family and money to pay the bills. That doesn’t come with truck driving.

rubberduckY1234:
All of the above comments are great advice.

You could try getting a van drivers job at TNT or Royal mail, I met 2 people on my class 2 course that worked for these firms, they started by driving vans for them and then they paid for them to get there class 2 licence. I think you are tied into that company for a couple years but seems like it would be worth it as you are getting paid, getting trained and getting the experience needed. So in the theory you could be a class 1 driver with 3-4 years experience before you reach 25. Happy days :sunglasses:

Im sure there are other companys out there that would do something similar but i know these 2 definatly do!

Good luck and lets us know how you get on.

id try TNT or some of the other parcel companies if you can drive, Royal mail is a dead man walking job on the artics, if youve ever done any time there on artics youll understand why.